A Parcel From Home

ArtD

Hi all,

My parents want to send me a parcel from home, which will include a couple of shirts for work - I know clothes are pretty good out here but I'm missing my M&S cottons!

She contacted the Post Office at home (UK) to ask what the best thing to send them in was and has been told that the list of things not allowed by customs in parcels for Thailand is as follows:

Medicine

Prepared food

Alcohol

Tobacco

Playing cards

CLOTHING !

Apparently any clothes will be taken out of any parcel and returned.

This sounds a little daft to me - I just wondered if anyone has ever had any problems receiving a small amount of clothes (this is just two shirts!) from the UK?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

I'm the same with shopping for clothes here, plus my Mum is a shop-a-holic and just can't help herself! :D

She sends me clothes several times a year, generally just folded up in a jiffy bag. We've never had a problem. She also sends me shoes, hair products which I can't buy here (very curly hair), photos on CDs, and all manner of other things.

I would however advise against getting P.O Box at your local post office. We were mistakenly informed that this was the safest way to receive post in Thailand and one Christmas present package from my parents went 'missing'.

We now have all our post delivered to our condo building and have never had a problem. :o

Hi,

Thanks for the reassurance - will green light the parcel ASAP!

Am making the transition from backpacker to settler here in Khao Lak - and have been able to buy quite a few things from the local market here and various dashes to Phuket - but it'll be great to get some further supplies sent from home!

Big Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reassurance - will green light the parcel ASAP!

Am making the transition from backpacker to settler here in Khao Lak - and have been able to buy quite a few things from the local market here and various dashes to Phuket - but it'll be great to get some further supplies sent from home!

Big Thanks

If there are any fears on getting something delivered and you receiving it use Fedex and not the Royal mail, its also so much faster. Royal Mail will take any where up to 2 weeks, Fedex 3 days. It works out at about 30% more exspensive, but with Royal Mail someone can sent you a quite a bit if not too heaving for around £20, Fedex £30. And they will also advice your mum exactly how she needs to describe the goods on the customs invoice, but I have received tons of different things with no problem

Might be an issue if she is sending you a years worth of clothes

For an extra £10 you could be in your M&S cottons by next Tuesday :o

Edited by Remo

Cheers Remo, the FedEx option does sound good - 3 days!

I’ve asked around here and apparently my office uses a PO Box in a neighbouring city (Ta Kau Pa) as they deem it more ‘reliable’ then our local one.

Definitely don’t fancy arriving at the post office to find the guy behind the counter modelling one of my shirts – hel_l hath no fury like a man deprived of his cottons ;-)

You've a better chance of a thai Post Office employee fancying the shirts, than Customs ringing the alarm bells for 2 shirts in breach of textile quota agreements. :o

be forewarned, however, that you have a REALLY good chance of a thai post office employee fancying the shirts.

The Thai post is generally good. Never had a problem.

On average more than 50% of my mail goes missing. Not just from Europe but local too. I’m still waiting for last month's telephone bill to arrive, which was due and paid for 3 weeks ago.

All my Thai neighbours have the same problem.