Phuket school tablet thief arrested

webfact

Phuket school tablet thief arrested
Eakkapop Thongtub

1438773685_1-org.jpg
Lek admitted to stealing the tablets from Satree Phuket School of July 20.

PHUKET: -- A Myanmar migrant worker was arrested yesterday (August 4) when he was found to be in possession of 70 items, all believed to have stolen, including seven tablets which were stolen from Satree Phuket School last month. Police estimate his total haul was in the region of B800,000.

At 3pm today (August 5), Phuket City police held a held a press conference to announce the arrest of a Myanmar national named only as Lek, 29, who was wanted for stealing ten i-Media tablets and Kworld audio equipment out of a class room in Satree Phuket School in the early hours of July 20. (See story here)

Lek was arrested at an unaddressed workcamp near the Khao Lan junction on Thepkassattri Rd with seven i-media computer tablets (model EC101S2) and a Kworld audio converter.

Police also seized 70 items including documents, tools and stolen Kawasaki KSR motorbike with no registration plate.

The arrest of Lek came after Thungtong police and Phuket City police arrested 33-year-old Wanchai, also a Myanmar national, on Monday (August 3) when he was found to be in possession of an i-Media tablet similar to one stolen from Satree Phuket School.

After being questioned by police, Wanchai told police that he had bought the tablet from a Myanmar man named Lek for B2,300. He gave police Lek's address.

Yesterday, police raided Lek's room at the workerʼs camp and seized 70 items including a Kawasaki motorbike which had been reported stolen to Chalong police.

Lek told police that he used to work as a construction worker at Satree Phuket School so he knew the area well.

At 2:30am on July 20, he went to the school on a motorbike. He parked the bike behind the school before breaking into the premises and stealing the tablets and audio equipment.

“I sold two tablets to two Myanmar men for B2,000 each and sold one to Wanchai for B2,300. I was waiting to sell the rest to those who wanted to buy, he said.

Lek told police that he did not remember the name of first two men that bought the tablets and admitted that he has been arrested on several occasion for theft.

Satree Phuket School Director, Kosol Saikhaw commented to the press that he was relieved and glad that police had caught the suspect that stole students tablets.

“Teachers are on patrol duty and security are on patrol every hour and on the lookout for any suspicious activity to prevent such incidents happening in the future.” said Principal Kosol.

Lek was charged with theft after dark using a get away vehicle and living in Thailand without permission.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-school-tablet-thief-arrested-53513.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-06