Clinton tries to break through Trump surge with GOP attacks

webfact

Clinton tries to break through Trump surge with GOP attacks
By LISA LERER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ten Republican candidates for president in 2016 will debate Thursday for first time. Spend any time listening to Democratic frontrunner Hillary Rodham Clinton this past week, though, and it would seem like only one really matters: Jeb Bush.

As billionaire businessman Donald Trump thunders his way to the top of the summertime polls, Clinton is instead focused on the former Florida governor as one of the most likely — and potentially threatening — Republican nominees.

Clinton repeatedly slammed Bush by name on Tuesday after he questioned spending public money on women's health issues, a more direct attack after she slyly stung him last Friday by using the name of his super PAC and slogan of his campaign — Right to Rise — to paint him as setting back the cause of black Americans.

"People can't rise if they can't afford health care. They can't rise if the minimum wage is too low to live on," Clinton told the annual meeting of the National Urban League, as Bush waited in the wings to take his turn on stage.

"They can't rise if their governor makes it hard for them to get a college education and you cannot seriously talk about the right to rise and support laws that deny the right to vote," she said.

For months, Clinton and her team have tried to keep her above the political fray. But with her approval rating sinking in several polls, they've moved to reframe the race as a choice between two different ideologies rather than a referendum on her family foundation, email usage and other controversies.

Trump's rise has complicated that effort: While Democrats generally view the carnival-like atmosphere the billionaire businessman brings to Republican field as a positive for Clinton, there is concern that his dominance has allowed other potential nominees to get a free pass on such issues.

Clinton's staff says their assessment of the Republican field fluctuates by the poll, the week — even by the day. Right now, they see Bush, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker as the most likely to win the nomination.

They plan to aggressively criticize positions taken by all ten candidates in Thursday night's debate, though the recent focus on Bush is a strategy born, in part, by opportunity.

"We think the real focal point here should be on the entire group of Republicans who will be on the stage," said Joel Benenson, Clinton's chief strategist. "Gov. Bush has just created a rather target-rich environment."

In recent weeks, Bush has had a number of stumbles, such as telling the New Hampshire Union Leader that "people need to work longer hours" in order to meet his economic goals for the country. Hours after his aside about women's health care caught fire Tuesday, his campaign issued two statements, with the latter saying Bush "misspoke" as he tried to say the federal government should re-appropriate the money it gives to Planned Parenthood.

Clinton called him out on Twitter — "You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong," she wrote — before piling on at an evening appearance in the swing-state of Colorado.

"He's got no problem giving billions of dollars away to super wealthy and powerful corporations, but I guess women's health just isn't a priority for him," Clinton said. "I would like to ask him, Gov. Bush, try telling that to the mom who caught her breast cancer early because she was able to get screening in time. Was her health not worth the money?"

Democrats acknowledge there is an advantage to a Bush nomination. Having the scion of a wealthy political family on the GOP ticket would likely negate the weariness with dynastic candidates that Clinton might face in a campaign against candidates such as Rubio or Walker.

But for the Clinton team, which has made wooing Latino votes a centerpiece of their campaign, that benefit may be outweighed by his potential strengths with that crucial group of voters. Married to a Mexican-American woman, Bush speaks fluent Spanish and has deep ties to the Hispanic community.

Bush's appearance at the Urban League meeting was aimed at furthering his outreach to minority voters, and after Clinton's on-stage critique, Bush spokesman Tim Miller tweeted, "The DNC and Hillary scramble to attack Jeb today and misrepresent his record betrays their fear of his ability to broaden GOP support."

A memo Benenson sent to reporters on Wednesday focused on immigration, the economy, women's health, and gay rights — underscoring the coalition Democrats believe will get them to the White House.

Trump, of course, sees the situation differently than either the Bush or Clinton campaign do.

"Do you notice that Hillary spews out Jeb's name as often as possible in order to give him status?" he wrote Wednesday on Twitter. "She knows Trump is her worst nightmare."
___

Associated Press writer Sergio Bustos contributed from Miami.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-06

Clinton has more to worry about than the GOP now that the FBI has an active investigation into her email shenanigans... The only question is whether the DOJ would hand down an indictment for a presidential candidate...

Clinton is just saying what her base wants to hear. It is "Us versus Them" in everything she says. She wants you to support the poor, uneducated, and any others that vote so that they vote for her. What is this about Women's Health Care anyway? Doesn't everyone want health care? Of course they do, but she wants the women's vote. Men can go to go to hell. How can anyone refute the lies that she tells.

Clinton is just saying what her base wants to hear. It is "Us versus Them" in everything she says. She wants you to support the poor, uneducated, and any others that vote so that they vote for her. What is this about Women's Health Care anyway? Doesn't everyone want health care? Of course they do, but she wants the women's vote. Men can go to go to hell. How can anyone refute the lies that she tells.

How did they manage to make ABORTION a health care issue? Pregnancy is not a life threatening event nowadays, so it is not anything to do with HEALTH.

I support the right to free abortion on demand up to the point a foetus is too large to miscarry easily with drugs ( how could I do otherwise, given my stance on overpopulation ), but it is a completely different issue than health.

The fact that this woman is, or feels that she is, in contention only serves as af further affirmation as to her highly flawed character.

She and her lounge lizard husband are a total disgrace and lack any form of social or moral conscience.

Clinton has more to worry about than the GOP now that the FBI has an active investigation into her email shenanigans... The only question is whether the DOJ would hand down an indictment for a presidential candidate...

FBI is not investigating Mrs. Clinton or any person or persons in respect of the emails.

The FBI inquiry is of the private server system and not of any one single person or of any person at all. The FBI inquiry is of a system, not a person.

Stated additionally and materially, the FBI has no "target" in this investigation, if it is an investigation. A central part of person-orientated FBI "investigations" is that there is a "target," meaning a person. There is no target in this FBI inquiry and no person is being reviewed.

Moreover, documents or papers presently classified but not classified at the time Mrs. Clinton was SecState present no criminal or illegal activity at the time or going forward.

Nobody on the right should hold his breath waiting for an indictment because there will not be any indictment because no person is being investigated. On second thought, do hold your breath.

And one more time, if the choice on election day November 2016 is between Clinton and Bush, voters will choose Clinton. A third Bush will only get clipped.

The money continues to be on former SecState Hillary Clinton no matter who the Republicans nominate.

Edited by Publicus

Hillary, Trump is huge gift to you from the GOP. If Trump gets the nomination, you will win hands down because he is a lying buffoon.

In the event that he doesn't secure the GOP nomination, you should be support and encourage him and asking him to run as an independent (with Palin as VP.

The right-wing's penchant for proposing idiots as nominees is your best asset because, although I may vote for you against Trump, I would do it holding my nose.

FBI is not investigating Mrs. Clinton or any person or persons in respect of the emails.

The FBI inquiry is of the private server system and not of any one single person or of any person at all. The FBI inquiry is of a system, not a person.

Stated additionally and materially, the FBI has no "target" in this investigation, if it is an investigation. A central part of person-orientated FBI "investigations" is that there is a "target," meaning a person. There is no target in this FBI inquiry and no person is being reviewed.

Moreover, documents or papers presently classified but not classified at the time Mrs. Clinton was SecState present no criminal or illegal activity at the time or going forward.

Nobody on the right should hold his breath waiting for an indictment because there will not be any indictment because no person is being investigated. On second thought, do hold your breath.

And one more time, if the choice on election day November 2016 is between Clinton and Bush, voters will choose Clinton. A third Bush will only get clipped.

The money continues to be on former SecState Hillary Clinton no matter who the Republicans nominate.

Seems there are a few folks who don't share your skewed liberal perspective on the matter:

"If Clinton is proven to have knowingly sent, received or stored classified information in an unauthorized location, she risks prosecution under the same misdemeanor federal security statute used to prosecute former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, said former federal prosecutor Bradley Simon.

The statute — which was also used to prosecute Bill Clinton’s national security adviser, Sandy Berger, in 2005, is rarely used and would be subject to the discretion of the attorney general.
Still, “They didn’t hesitate to charge Gen. Petraeus with doing the same thing, downloading documents that are classified,” Simon said. “The threshold under the statute is not high — they only need to prove there was an unauthorized removal and retention” of classified material, he said."

Seems there are a few folks who don't share your skewed liberal perspective on the matter:

"If Clinton is proven to have knowingly sent, received or stored classified information in an unauthorized location, she risks prosecution under the same misdemeanor federal security statute used to prosecute former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, said former federal prosecutor Bradley Simon.

The statute — which was also used to prosecute Bill Clinton’s national security adviser, Sandy Berger, in 2005, is rarely used and would be subject to the discretion of the attorney general.
Still, “They didn’t hesitate to charge Gen. Petraeus with doing the same thing, downloading documents that are classified,” Simon said. “The threshold under the statute is not high — they only need to prove there was an unauthorized removal and retention” of classified material, he said."

Spot on.

She'll get nailed if anything can be proven against her.

The problem is that the Clintons are as slippery as eels.

Nobody can prove anything against them.

Personally, I hope they do press charges against her. That will definitely close the door on her presidential aspirations, which I would love to see happen.

In case you can't tell, I despise this lying piece of shit.

Isn't that slightly rude?

Maybe republicans can say what they like

Heh, she's doomed.

Can't evade an FBI investigation that's got her fingerprints all over it, eh?

Personally, I hope they do press charges against her. That will definitely close the door on her presidential aspirations, which I would love to see happen.

Isn't that slightly rude?

Maybe republicans can say what they like

I am neither Republican nor Democrat, but you are totally presumptuous to think I am either one. As for being rude? My "rudeness" is miniscule when compared to her "rudeness" with her bold faced lies about Benghazi.

So maybe independent thinkers who want the truth can say what they want.

Read the statement below from "Just Call Me Jeb" He wants workers to work longer hours and take back the funding for Planned Parenthood. He keeps putting his foot in his and back pedals saying "Sorry I misspoke" The fourth paragraph is a real doozy. Again like most Republicans steal from the poor and give to the rich.

In recent weeks, Bush has had a number of stumbles, such as telling the New Hampshire Union Leader that "people need to work longer hours" in order to meet his economic goals for the country. Hours after his aside about women's health care caught fire Tuesday, his campaign issued two statements, with the latter saying Bush "misspoke" as he tried to say the federal government should re-appropriate the money it gives to Planned Parenthood.

Clinton called him out on Twitter — "You are absolutely, unequivocally wrong," she wrote — before piling on at an evening appearance in the swing-state of Colorado.

"He's got no problem giving billions of dollars away to super wealthy and powerful corporations, but I guess women's health just isn't a priority for him," Clinton said. "I would like to ask him, Gov. Bush, try telling that to the mom who caught her breast cancer early because she was able to get screening in time. Was her health not worth the money?"

How did they manage to make ABORTION a health care issue? Pregnancy is not a life threatening event nowadays, so it is not anything to do with HEALTH.

I support the right to free abortion on demand up to the point a foetus is too large to miscarry easily with drugs ( how could I do otherwise, given my stance on overpopulation ), but it is a completely different issue than health.

The perfect post to illustrate the problem Republicans (white men) have with women. It's not a health issue unless you have a vagina.

I will give you some credit, Republicans don't want a woman to ever have an abortion under any circumstances.

The GOP is a party of racists and misogynists.

Hillary remains a slam dunk against the worst group of candidates since the 2012 group of terrible Republican candidates.

Edited by Pinot

Thanks for your independent thoughts, you can go back to Fox News now.

The perfect post to illustrate the problem Republicans (white men) have with women. It's not a health issue unless you have a vagina.

I will give you some credit, Republicans don't want a woman to ever have an abortion under any circumstances.

The GOP is a party of racists and misogynists.

Hillary remains a slam dunk against the worst group of candidates since the 2012 group of terrible Republican candidates.

Abortion at no time was a health issue. It is, and always will be a murder issue.

Gotta laugh at anyone says 'slam dunk.' About anything except basketball. Sounds more like a snake oil salesman.

Yeah. That's what Al Capone thought. Didn't work out too well for him. Did it?

Your explanation comes from the Clinton campaign, not the FBI. It is nonsense to say the FBI is not investigating a person. The FBI, like all investigative services, does not talk about ongoing investigations.

It is no surprise the far out right is having a very hard time with this even though they have a long record as invenerate losers. A major reason the right is consistently wrong is that it relies on extremist inaccurate fringe rightwing media, such as ZeroHedge, TownHall, Newsmax and all the rest of the well funded hundred of 'em.

The following is from NBC News in the US quoting the Washington Post.....

NBC News confirmed that the FBI is looking into the procedures used in the private Clinton server. The investigation involves a system, as opposed to a person.

The referral to the Justice Department did not seek a criminal probe and did not specifically target Clinton.

The two officials cited by the Post also said that the FBI was not targeting her.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/hillary-clinton/fbi-investigating-security-hillary-clinton-emails-n404341

The right will get nowhere either trying to say wait until the FBI finds out all the crimes Mrs. Clinton did in her emails, that the FBI will surely investigate her and she will be indicted, tried, shamed, burned at the stake. laugh.png

Gen Petraeus btw knowingly gave classified documents he knew to be classified to a reporter to use in the reporter's stories and upcoming book which the reporter was writing while she was sleeping with the general. That is not a related case in any way. The bar to criminally investigating the general's case was so low it barely rested off the ground beneath it and a snake had to crash diet then use lube to slither under it.

Edited by Publicus

Yeah. That's what Al Capone thought. Didn't work out too well for him. Did it?

Your explanation comes from the Clinton campaign, not the FBI. It is nonsense to say the FBI is not investigating a person. The FBI, like all investigative services, does not talk about ongoing investigations.

There are several news sources stating that the FBI investigation is "criminal" in nature... Whoever ordered the creation and operation of this email server is culpable in the investigation... And who do you think that might be? whistling.gif

Some sample news reports by MSM in contrast to the prolific proliferation of extreme radical right wing media....

www.newsmax.com/.../fbi-investigation-hillary-clinton-emails/.../665657...

19 hours ago - The FBI has begun a criminal inquiry into Hillary Clinton's email account and her use of the private server and other devices during her four ...

FBI probes security of Clinton emails - USA Today
www.usatoday.com/story/news/.../fbi-clinton-investigation/31146271/
1 day ago - ... to the Justice Department from the inspector general overseeing the ...FBI probes security of Clinton emailsThe FBI has begun a review into the .....
FBI investigating security of Hillary Clinton's emails - CBS ...
www.cbsnews.com/.../fbi-investigating-security-of-hillary-clintons-email...

1 day ago - FBI investigating security of Hillary Clinton's emails ... the JusticeDepartment investigation as a "security" referral rather than a criminal one are ...

FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton emails may be criminal ...
https://www.intellihub.com/fbi-investigation-into-hillary-clinton-emails-...
13 hours ago - FBI investigation into Hillary Clinton emails may be criminal probe – “A security violation would lead to criminal charges”. August 6, 2015 6:00 ...
The FBI's probe of Hillary Clinton is reportedly criminal « Hot ...
hotair.com/.../the-fbis-probe-of-hillary-clinton-is-reportedly-criminal/
10 hours ago - The FBI's probe into Hillary Clinton's email server security is reportedly a .... [Clinton] did not send nor receive any emails that were marked ...
FBI Investigating Security of Hillary Clinton Emails - NBC ...
www.nbcnews.com/...clinton/fbi-investigating-security-hillary-clinton-e...

1 day ago - FBI Investigating Security of Hillary Clinton Emails. by The ... The referral to the Justice Department did not seek a criminal probe and did not ...

FBI: It's a Criminal Investigation of Hillary - Rush Limbaugh
www.rushlimbaugh.com › Archives (Aug 6, 2015)

2 hours ago -The FBI investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham ... New York Post: FBI Investigation of Hillary's Emails is 'Criminal Probe' ...

Hillary Clinton's email server under investigation ...
www.cnn.com/2015/08/05/politics/clinton-email-server-fbi/
1 day ago - The FBI is looking into the security used to protect Hillary Clinton's private email ... testify as a witness in the investigation of the Whitewater land deal in Arkansas. .....
Edited by Publicus

^ Nice try, but the FBI does not conduct "civil" inquiries, only criminal investigations... This spin of words by the media is to protect their darling Hillary... Evidence that the email server was used to conduct political operations, along with transferring secure state department data has already been established... The latest set of Clinton emails released by the state department were heavily redacted before their release, indicating they contain state secrets... The actions of General Petraeus were far less damning and he lost his career and was convicted of a crime... As I said before, the only real question is whether the new AG at the DOJ gets the nod to had down indictments...

^ Nice try, but the FBI does not conduct "civil" inquiries, only criminal investigations... This spin of words by the media is to protect their darling Hillary... Evidence that the email server was used to conduct political operations, along with transferring secure state department data has already been established... The latest set of Clinton emails released by the state department were heavily redacted before their release, indicating they contain state secrets... The actions of General Petraeus were far less damning and he lost his career and was convicted of a crime... As I said before, the only real question is whether the new AG at the DOJ gets the nod to had down indictments...

This. ^^^

It's laughable that anyone would try to quote the MSM as a "unbiased" source of news when it comes to the Clintons (or any other liberal media darling.)

It is laughable for the marginal right to say and to repeatedly maintain the Main Stream Media are not mainstream as if the vast majority of Americans were some sort of t lemmings of the left. The words liberal and progressive also get thrown around as if they were a minority.

Gen. Patraeus was rightfully the target of the investigation into his violations, Mrs. Clinton is not a target of the FBI examination of the private email server.

The right has this ongoing compulsion to resist reality by creating the world it wants to exist but which comes at us instead from deep space. The rightwing media are indeed out there on the radical fringe constantly cranking out their stuff.

A third Bush will only get clipped.

You finally said something I can agree with.

Kasich would give her a run for her money.

IMO a Kasich, Carson team would be hard to beat.