Japan marks 70th anniversary of Hiroshima atomic bombing

webfact

Japan marks 70th anniversary of Hiroshima atomic bombing
KAORI HITOMI, Associated Press
MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press

HIROSHIMA, Japan (AP) — Japan marked the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima on Thursday, with Mayor Kazumi Matsui renewing calls for U.S. President Barack Obama and other world leaders to step up efforts toward making a nuclear weapons free world.

Tens of thousands of attendants stood for a minute of silence at 8:30 a.m. at the ceremony in Hiroshima's peace park near the epicenter of the 1945 attack, marking the moment of the atomic blast. Then dozens of doves were released as a symbol of peace.

The U.S. bomb, "Little Boy," the first one used at war, killed 140,000 people, and a second bomb "Fat Man," dropped over Nagasaki three days later, killed another 70,000, prompting Japan's surrender in World War II.

Matsui called the nuclear weapons "the ultimate inhumanity and the absolute evil" that must be abolished, and criticized nuclear powers for keeping them as threats to achieve their national interests. He said the world still bristles with more than 15,000 nuclear weapons.

He renewed an invitation to Obama and other world leaders to visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki to see the scars themselves.

"President Obama and other policymakers, please come to the A-bombed cities, hear the hibakusha (survivors) with your own ears, and encounter the reality of the atomic bombings," he said. "Surely, you will be impelled to start discussing a legal framework, including a nuclear weapons convention."

The anniversary comes as Japan is divided over Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's push to pass unpopular legislation to expand the country's military role internationally, a year after his Cabinet's decision to loosen Japan's war-renouncing constitution by adopting a new interpretation of it.

"We must establish a broad national security framework that does not rely on use of force but is based on trust," Matsui said. He urged the Japanese government to stick with "the pacifism of the Japanese Constitution" to lead the global effort of no proliferation.

Abe said that as the sole country to face a nuclear attack, Japan had a duty to push for the elimination of nuclear weapons. He pledged to promote the cause through international conferences to be held in Hiroshima later this month.

With the average age of survivors now exceeding 80 years for the first time this year, passing on their stories is considered an urgent task. There were 5,359 "hibakusha," or survivors, who died over the past year, bringing the total death toll from the Hiroshima bombing to 297,684.

The anniversary comes as Japan is divided over Abe's push to pass unpopular legislation to expand the country's military role internationally.

The sea of people who attended the ceremony this year also included U.S. Ambassador Caroline Kennedy and representatives from more than 100 countries, including Britain, France and Russia.

"Little Boy," dropped from the Enola Gay, a B-29 bomber, destroyed 90 percent of the city and killed an estimated 140,000 people, including those who succumbed to injuries and radiation sickness in the ensuing weeks. A "black rain" of radioactive particles followed the blinding blast and fireball, and has been linked to higher rates of cancer and other radiation-related diseases among survivors.
___

Yamaguchi reported from Tokyo.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-06

Has there ever been a similar remembrance in China and Korea attended by world dignitaries for the attrocities committed by Japan?

I'll sympathise for the Japanese when the Japanese apologise for their own misdeeds in a sincere fashion. They won't even acknowledge the "comfort women" and compensate them.

I'm sure a lot of US GIs were very happy that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were obliterated.

Has there ever been a similar remembrance in China and Korea attended by world dignitaries for the attrocities committed by Japan?

I'll sympathise for the Japanese when the Japanese apologise for their own misdeeds in a sincere fashion. They won't even acknowledge the "comfort women" and compensate them.

I'm sure a lot of US GIs were very happy that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were obliterated.

They don't admit the Rape of Nanking and other atrocities in China, the brutal torture and slave labor of POW's, the complete disregard for the Geneva Convention, the massive looting of all occupied countries, the Unit 731 experiments, or any of the long list of vile war crimes carried out in the name of their Emperor.

They have never formerly apologized or atoned in any way. If any country should have made reparations Japan should. Few leaders and war criminals received punishment due to American anxiety over the "communist threat". And all that loot mysteriously vanished.

Their desire to write an untrue version of history whitewashing their crimes, magnifying perceived harsh tactics against them and refusing any guilt is a very good reason why their current attempts to re-arm and re-militarize should be viewed with caution.

An argument can be made that Hiroshima was not completely necessary. However, the Japanese aggression was so over the top, they kind of earned whatever happened. Sounds cold, but so was Nanking and the Manchurian campaigns. How about the March of Bataan? Their cruelty was exceptionally harsh.

Get out the flak jackets. It's America bashing time again. Yes we know, we know, the only country to use nukes in a war.

I went to fairly decent schools but looking back knowing what I know now, it would have been better to present more information about the argument that the nukes should not have been used there.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

An argument can be made that Hiroshima was not completely necessary. However, the Japanese aggression was so over the top, they kind of earned whatever happened. Sounds cold, but so was Nanking and the Manchurian campaigns. How about the March of Bataan? Their cruelty was exceptionally harsh.

And of course the American fleet didn't send out an invitation for them to bomb the sh*t out of their Pacific fleet. The 140,000 that died in Hiroshima were indeed mostly innocent, however the Japanese people should blame their leaders not the Americans. If the Japs hadn't been so power hungry there would have been no need for Oppenheimer & Co. to have created the instruments of Armageddon.

i will leave whether it was right or wrong to kill 120,000 civilians along with the many injured and the future generations with birth defects to others

however I do not believe the propaganda that dropping this bomb was about saving US lives in the event of an invasion

the reasons were

The US had to justify the billions [in todays money} that were spent on the research and development

The US wanted to see the effect of dropping a nuclear weapon on a city

There was also an element of revenge in this act

The US wanted to send a message to the Soviets to show its political strength at the end of the war

The US bombed Hiroshima on 6th August 1945 and Nagasaki on 9th....the USSR declared war on Japan on the same day

The fact that the Soviets had declared war would have been enough to cause the surrender of Japan due to overwhelming odds

This action was a war crime but the victors never pay the price for their crimes only the losers

however I do not believe the propaganda that dropping this bomb was about saving US lives in the event of an invasion

Regardless of what you believe, it certainly did save thousands of American lives. Not many people think that the Japanese - military and civilians - would not have fought to the death to prevent an invasion of the homeland.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well, in the context of those times, I don't think it was pure black and white decision but I do hope American kids are being taught about it in a more balanced way than I was. But I doubt it. It is important to reflect upon considering the growth of the weapons in numerous countries since then. Here in Thailand we aren't very far from a nuclear hot spot -- India/Pakistan.

Replying to: Japan marks 70th anniversary of Hiroshima atomic bombing

Marking the 70'th anniversary with WHAT - WHAT?

By getting the Japanese bean counters to publish the facts of WW Two in the country's school textbooks?? - so that Japanese children can learn what "comfort girl" really are - and learn what "the Rape of Nanking" was?

Not on your lifesad.png

Well, in the context of those times, I don't think it was pure black and white decision but I do hope American kids are being taught about it in a more balanced way than I was. But I doubt it. It is important to reflect upon considering the growth of the weapons in numerous countries since then. Here in Thailand we aren't very far from a nuclear hot spot -- India/Pakistan.

In 2015 USA, I think studies of "Americana" trump WW Two in Socials Studies 11 - but up here in Canada - Grade 11's still need to know the causes of WW 1thumbsup.gif

You know - someone pissed off Arch Duke Ferdinand of some insignificant tiny principality - and the "Domino Effect" was born..sad.png

"When will we ever learn.."

The war excuse for the massacre of tens of thousands of civilians, old , women, children ...

One word for me, foul.

And childlike justification reminiscing in the old stories out of Tonkin and other equally crude.

Really USA is a great country, the greatest certainly in many aspects, but it was also one of the biggest in amorality for this case

I wish that the world never forgets.

Regardless of what you believe, it certainly did save thousands of American lives. Not many people think that the Japanese - military and civilians - would not have fought to the death to prevent an invasion of the homeland.

Would not all Americans fight to the death to prevent an invasion of their homeland?

The same nation that is willing to bear arms against their own government should they try to disarm their citizens.

It has been questioned that the dropping of the A-bombs on Japan should have been considered as a war crime.

Really ?

For a nation that is attributed for the deaths of 30 million people from 1936 to 1946 I would question that philosophy.

For some one who lost 3 uncles to the atrocities commited by these "so called humans" on the death railway I would question that point of view.

For some one who lost 2 cousins, MIA n Burma against the Japs I wonder who is right ?

For a country whose infantryman used pregnant women for bayonet practice, a documented and reported fact on many occasions in Manchuria and elsewhere supports the theory that the Japaneese were barbarians.

Even after WW2 has ended they still can not mend their perverted ways and now resort to killing the biggest mammals on earth "for research", proof they are still barbarians.

My opinion of this barbaric race is that the only war crime committed was that the US did not drop enough atomic bombs on Japan to wipe them of the face of the earth.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Ironically, unsaid was the fact that both Nazi Germany and the Japan were collaborating during WW2 to develop their own NUCLEAR WEAPONS.

If either had succeeded in attacking the Allies instead with nuclear bombs, I'm sure they wouldn't be marking today in protest for such use.

The war excuse for the massacre of tens of thousands of civilians, old , women, children ...

One word for me, foul.

It is a weapon of unspeakable horror.

Finding yourself alive afterwards, amidst the scene, doubly.

Of all the 'hindsight' narratives that we have as a luxury of reflection today, the one about having used one as one hell of a 'final warning', out at sea, visible, is the one that grabs me as having been a far far better decision to take than what actually happened. However, the science of this I know nothing about and perhaps this alternative would also have led to a 'death by a 1000 cuts' of fallout over decades, due to contamination?

Perhaps this option had already been considered and subsequently calculated (or blindly assumed) that the level of devotion would not have led to instant desertion of the Emperor even if such a massive warning had been delivered. I'd like to believe any will to fight on / devotion to the bitter end after the 'spectacle' of horror we see in those ariel photos of the mushroom cloud, on a horizon, would evaporate instantly - but who knows.

Unfortunately, my gut instinct tells me that along with truly wishing to use the two bombs to 'seal' the war once and for all, it was accompanied by sheer malice given the ferocity of the war itself, combined with arguably the creepier, objective, detatched mengele-esque curiosity to confirm years of scientific research of its devastating effect on humans. Nobody comes out of that war looking good. On that, we must surely agree, if nothing else.

i will leave whether it was right or wrong to kill 120,000 civilians along with the many injured and the future generations with birth defects to others

the reasons were

The US had to justify the billions [in todays money} that were spent on the research and development

The US wanted to send a message to the Soviets to show its political strength at the end of the war

The US bombed Hiroshima on 6th August 1945 and Nagasaki on 9th....the USSR declared war on Japan on the same day

The fact that the Soviets had declared war would have been enough to cause the surrender of Japan due to overwhelming odds

This action was a war crime but the victors never pay the price for their crimes only the losers

While I agree that the bombing was not necessary to end the war ( I would have let them starve till they surrendered, not invaded ), the war time Japanese deserved to be punished for what they did in China, Korea, Manchuria, Malaya and Singapore. They got off lightly.

Definitely the emperor should have been hung and the armies in Asia should not have been allowed to return to Japan, suffering whatever the occupied peoples wished to do to them.

That is the propaganda the military industrial complex promulgate. Japan was completely at the mercy of the allies by the end of the war- no need at all for invasion. Continuing the air bombing campaign with conventional bombs or blockading Japan and letting them starve would have worked as well.

the reasons were

The Emperor and the military didn`t want to unconditionally surrender,even after the Hiroshima bomb and the Soviet declaration of war.After the second bomb over Nagasaki the Emperor wanted to surrender,but the military still insisted to continue the fight.

It has been questioned that the dropping of the A-bombs on Japan should have been considered as a war crime.

Really ?

For a nation that is attributed for the deaths of 30 million people from 1936 to 1946 I would question that philosophy.

For some one who lost 3 uncles to the atrocities commited by these "so called humans" on the death railway I would question that point of view.

For some one who lost 2 cousins, MIA n Burma against the Japs I wonder who is right ?

For a country whose infantryman used pregnant women for bayonet practice, a documented and reported fact on many occasions in Manchuria and elsewhere supports the theory that the Japaneese were barbarians.

Even after WW2 has ended they still can not mend their perverted ways and now resort to killing the biggest mammals on earth "for research", proof they are still barbarians.

My opinion of this barbaric race is that the only war crime committed was that the US did not drop enough atomic bombs on Japan to wipe them of the face of the earth.

Can you please clarify how you really feel about this issue?

Because of the bombs dropped on two cities, far fewer lives were lost on both sides.

The Japanese had vowed to fight to the last man, woman and child.

If there were a land invasion of Japan, the death toll would have been much higher.

The fact that it took the destruction of two cities and not just one, just reinforces this fact.

Sad, but true.

Because of the bombs dropped on two cities, far fewer lives were lost on both sides.

The Japanese had vowed to fight to the last man, woman and child.

If there were a land invasion of Japan, the death toll would have been much higher.

The fact that it took the destruction of two cities and not just one, just reinforces this fact.

Sad, but true.

I agree with what you say, but a land invasion was unneccessary if the US was prepared for a seige. However, no doubt the government wanted a speedy end, regardless of the number of US troops killed. Not for nothing are US troops known as GIs ( general issue ). US generals have always been profligate with their soldiers eg the incompetent Westmorland. Not only did he waste his soldiers lives with bad tactics, but he wanted the Australians to do as badly- luckily they refused to kowtow to his stupidity.