schengen visa for GF

Hey

I am trying to plan a trip to Paris with my GF. She is Thai and I am Danish. She's traveling there from Thailand and I'm traveling from Denmark. She works for Cathay Airways and wants to go there for a recruitment day event for Emirates Airlines. Our stay there is less than a week after which she will return to Thailand.

So my question is can I be her host as an EU citizen but from a different country than she's going to? Or should she apply as traveling alone?

Best to check with the French, the Schengen rules and application form do not specify how sponsorship works (just as it does not detail how much money is required of a visitor wants pay all expenses themselves). Often it's assumed that the sponsor lives in the country that is the main destination and the sponsor would need to get some papers stamped by for instance the municipality or police (who could check the income of the sponsor etc.). Each member state handles this differently though, some have standard forms, others require a letter of sponsorship. I think the French require a letter from the sponsor which needs to be notarized, if that's the case the second question is if they accept and how to notarize a letter from a Danish citizen...

Most unfortunate that proof of funds (minimal income for self sufficient travellers), sponsorship etc. has not been standardized across all Schengen members. It would make sense that you as a Dane can sponsor your trip together to France... But it might be harder for the French to check if you meet the requirements to sponsor her...

If you check the French consulate in the US it says:

if your financial means are not sufficient, you may also provide a notarized letter from your sponsor stating he/she will be responsible for all your expenses and a proof of his/her financial means (+ 1 copy).

http://www.consulfrance-newyork.org/Short-stay-visa-Schengen

But if you check the instructions for TH (from the crappy and optional extern service provider TLS Contact) it assumed that the traveller is either self sufficient (accommodation and funds) and thus a tourist OR has a sponsor that provides financial coverage and accommodation... and thus needs to provide " Lodging attestation issued by the local town hall, Financial guarantee letter from the guarantor for all kinds of expenses incurred the applicant during their stay, Proof of host's connect to the applicant -if required, host letter explaining the connection with the applicant and the reasons for travel" .

How much money do you need for France:

---------------------

If visitor has a sponsor:

- A sponsor needs half the minimum daily wage ( 65 / 2 = 32,50 EUR) per day.

If self sufficient:

- For each day of stay with no hotel reservation: 120 EUR per day.

- For each day with confirmed hotel reservation: 65 EUR per day.

If staying at a private accommodation:

- For each day of stay: 65 EUR per day (if no accommodation by sponsor with an " attestation d'accueil " ) or half amount that if you have an attestation d'accueil.

Source: Belgian authorities on financial requirements for all Schengen nations (language FR and NL):

https://sif-gid.ibz.be/FR/homepage.aspx

-------------

So assuming you get the hotel booked etc. 65 euro's per day would be enough. IF the French accept sponsorship from non-French EU citizens... Which I would ask the French embassy directly (don't bother with TLS, they can only read out whatever the French have written out for them on a cheat sheet or the TLS website...).

Edit: I do not speak French, I used the Dutch page, so I cannot be of any help navigating through French pages with info.

Edited by Donutz

Just make a visa for Denmark (Schengen) at the danish embassy in BKK.

She can go from Thailand to France on a Schengen-visa. She does not have to go via Denmark.

Immigration in France might want to see an onward-ticket to Denmark. So buy a cheap or refundable ticket France -> Denmark.