Best and Worst Hotel Booking Websites

craigt3365

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sammygood, on 11 Aug 2015 - 15:24, said:snapback.png

best price in thailand: let your thai girlfriend / wife make the call to the hotel

I let my GF go into hotel, and check rates , never cheaper

Same here, we tried it a few times and agoda always works out cheaper... which is weird since they probably have to pay agoda a cut... I have openly booked using agoda in the hotel reception before on my phone, the staff/managers don't seem to care and sometimes almost want you too use agoda.... guess they get good reviews and move up higher in the rankings or something.

Cheers

Why would the staff care? And possibly they are only trained to process bookings that come in through agoda or similar.

Similar to trying to open a bank account in Thailand.

The management of course should care. But do you really expect a Thai manager to hang out with his reception staff?

Use as many search engines as you like I've never found one single hotel that I could have booked cheaper on a site than emailing the Reservation Desk direct period.

Obviously you havent stayed in every hotel. Many hotels will not take bookings from customers and even if they do, they will push you to a 3rd party booking site. Also, many hotels rices are much cheaper on the sites. Ive even had hotels tell me this. The world is changing, we have to change with it.

The worst must be Agoda, if only for the sneaky way they add 17% on to the price they first quote you.

I have heard good reports of Bookings.com (I think it is).

I recently used both to do a booking, firstly on Booking.com, in my haste I didn't see the 'non refundable' part in the listing, and booked a room in Khon Kaen. When I realised my mistake I called their customer service hotline (within a few minutes of making the booking) and explained my error. They called the hotel and got them to agree to cancel my booking without any charge, a great example of customer service I feel.

I then used Agoda to book the same hotel on a fully refundable booking, and didn't get slugged with any additional 17% at the end of the booking. That being said I use their app on my iPad so perhaps the 17% is already included in the app listing price.

Maybe, but I just hate the sneaky way of adding on the extra, a lot of people won't notice it, especially holidaymakers

and that is why they do it.

Actually, they are even more sneaky than you think.

Book with Agoda from a Mickey Mouse country, and they will add the tax & service charge only at the end.

Let Agoda believe that you are in a civilized country (with consumer rights), and they will add the extras straight away.

For the same hotel!

Use VPN or simply choose German, Dutch,... language.

Worst price you get with agoda with german, dutch....ip.

Better price you get with thai ip.

Normaly best price you get for bookings in sea with agoda with thai ip and! thai language.

I use Agoda WHEN using one of these sites. However, big problem is if you have a hotel card for a chain, you do not get points for the card when using Agoda or any other 3rd party booking site.

Some hotels will give points also for agoda bookings like nikko, marriott....

but for saverdiscount bookings not.

To be save book with kaligo and you will earn airline miles. My last booking with them 5 nights = 3.000 miles and 5% cheaper than agoda.

Use as many search engines as you like I've never found one single hotel that I could have booked cheaper on a site than emailing the Reservation Desk direct period.

Obviously you havent stayed in every hotel. Many hotels will not take bookings from customers and even if they do, they will push you to a 3rd party booking site. Also, many hotels rices are much cheaper on the sites. Ive even had hotels tell me this. The world is changing, we have to change with it.

Many times, I've stood at the reception desk either wanting to make a new reservation or extend an existing one, and been told I need to do it online. One hotel even kept a terminal on the front desk for customers to do this. They looked at the booking number and checked you in. But you could have done it directly with them, unfortunately at significantly higher rates!

As has been reported, some of the bookings sites don't allow hotels to offer cheaper prices. I'm sure some smaller hotels will try to work around this, but the larger ones won't risk the problems.

I use Agoda WHEN using one of these sites. However, big problem is if you have a hotel card for a chain, you do not get points for the card when using Agoda or any other 3rd party booking site.

To be save book with kaligo and you will earn airline miles. My last booking with them 5 nights = 3.000 miles and 5% cheaper than agoda.

Wrong on the Marriott. I just went through this issue a couple weeks back. I know first hand Marriott will not give points for an an Agoda reservation.

Many times, I've stood at the reception desk either wanting to make a new reservation or extend an existing one, and been told I need to do it online. One hotel even kept a terminal on the front desk for customers to do this. They looked at the booking number and checked you in. But you could have done it directly with them, unfortunately at significantly higher rates!

As has been reported, some of the bookings sites don't allow hotels to offer cheaper prices. I'm sure some smaller hotels will try to work around this, but the larger ones won't risk the problems.

I can personally vouch this does happen. Exact same thing happened to me at LK Renaissance in Pattaya. I tried a walk in and the desk convinced me to use their lobby computer and go through Agoda as it was about 800 baht cheaper than the front desk prices.

+1 for that... little android tablet strapped to the desk with agoda branding, probably a pretty good idea for them... quick call agoda! I think I heard of one hotel owner that agoda prebook rooms in the future with these hotels meaning they get the rooms really cheap to re-sell, this conversation was along long time ago so don't quote me onit but would make sense. Cheers

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You don't believe me?

Try!

KP Grand Chanthaburi, 15 October , 1 night:

Choose German, Dutch, .... language: original quote = 45,48 US dollar

Choose Thai or English: original quote = 38,64 US dollar >>> becomes on later screen: 45,48

Same price in any language, but tricks / no tricks depending on origin.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PS I am fed up with having to edit my posts for technical malfunctions.

Wrong on the Marriott. I just went through this issue a couple weeks back. I know first hand Marriott will not give points for an an Agoda reservation.

Some hotels and some Marriott will give you points. My experience only from last year......

Bangkok Sukhumvit = no points

Singapore Orchard Rd. = points

Khao Lak = points and free upgrade

This year i don't know. Maybe next time you will have luck and get points.

Does anybody know who is in a cartel with who?

F ex Agoda and Booking.com are owned by the same company.

I do not trust mega booking sites such as Trivago.

Trivago always shows how much you can save through them, and quotes prices from different sites.

Usually, the 40% or so savings are as compared to 1 expensive site, while the other sites all charge roughly the same lowerprice.

Conspiracy? Cartel?

Obviously not every hotel somewhat stupid comment, However everyone I have where there's an option for Agoda or whomever compared to emailing reservations direct, the price is simply cheaper.

I have no idea what percentage Agoda etc charge (10-20% ??) but whatever it is you're not getting charged it via Reservations direct. I'm somewhat bemused reading the thread (and bearing in mind this is TV) that its not completely obvious.

Also in addition I never pay upfront a single Baht. I've never ever failed to appear but thats another plus for some I might imagine

As I stated earlier many hotels will not sell direct and especially if they use Agoda as their primary booking agent. The reason is these hotels have strict agreements with these parties to not sell direct and for sure not cheaper. You guys want to argue please go ahead. As far as not paying ahead you are right, you are charged when you check out. However, as soon as you make online reservations a "block" is placed for a certain amount of money on your card. If you fail to show, you will normally be charged (as long as thats the type of reservation) the best and most reliable 3rd party is Agoda.

Obviously not every hotel somewhat stupid comment, However everyone I have where there's an option for Agoda or whomever compared to emailing reservations direct, the price is simply cheaper.

I have no idea what percentage Agoda etc charge (10-20% ??) but whatever it is you're not getting charged it via Reservations direct. I'm somewhat bemused reading the thread (and bearing in mind this is TV) that its not completely obvious.

Also in addition I never pay upfront a single Baht. I've never ever failed to appear but thats another plus for some I might imagine

I've read somewhere that Priceline (Agoda and Booking.com) charge 16.1 percent on average.

Yermanee wai.gif

• 9 months later...

Hotels.com Fan, Gold Member, Always taken care of Professionaly.10 stays 1 Free Night based on your average room charge.

It helps being a mathematician to work out their reward nights. The 'Average' room charge does not include taxes and fees. So if you pay, 32 British Pounds (GBP) for 1 night stay, that amount does not count towards your 1 free night, only around 28 GBP count towards the free night (because around 4 GBP is for fees and taxes).
they add the rate (without the taxes and fees) for all the 10 bookings (once completed) then divide by 10 to get the average.
if you have a free night worth 29 GBP, for example, you can only redeem this for 1 night booking. If you have a 60 GBP Reward night, you cannot redeem it for two 30 GBP nights. Careful not to redeem it for a night that is lower in value than the free night. By that I mean, if you see a hotel advertised for 30 GBP (with taxes and fees). DO NOT redeem your 29 GBP reward night, because, you will redeem a 29 GBP free night for a room that is around 26 GBP (without taxes and fees) and then pay 4 GBP (the total value of the room, with taxes and fees).
See, what I mean. You really do need to be an accountant or mathematician.
Keep a close eye on the reward nights, sometimes the system "just forgets" to add them. So you have to call/email. Speaking to telephone support can be tiring at the best of times (based in India?)
Always taken care of Professionally

Yes to begin with, now I've found that they take ages to reply to emails, and are very inconsistent in their replies. Best price guarantee is not honoured sometimes, again making up rules that've never been disclosed to the public. the claim I sent was rejected because it did not show the room type, but for a claim before they HAD accepted a screenprint without the room type. With the current claim all they had to do was go online and look up the rate on AGoda (as I did, even after I had received their rejection reply), the rate had not change on Agoda. But Hotels.com claim, because rates change all the time, they need the room type on the screenprint. But the rate hadnt changed (on agoda) so whats the big fuss about trivialities.

Don't count on basic common sense when you deal with these jokers. best to book with some other site (of course we don't have many other sites to choose from wink.png seeing that there's only one or two major players in the industry) or book direct with the hotel.

I've just responded on the other similar thread with a live example of why emailing is always cheaper. 850 Baht direct with Hotel nothing upfront as always. Agoda 1170 Baht absolute joke same superior B room. Every time every Hotel.

E-mailing hotel is cheaper? Not according to the Thaivisa newsletter that I receive every morning in my Inbox. See pic below:

post-232297-0-23958900-1464500079_thumb.

Very attractive offer. up to 75% off!. Please, if anyone has ever managed up to 75% off a hotel booking, please come forward and put your hand up. (post here) THaivisa Forum - no coaxing. OK?

E-mailing hotel is cheaper? Not according to the Thaivisa newsletter that I receive every morning in my Inbox. See pic below:
Very attractive offer. up to 75% off!. Please, if anyone has ever managed up to 75% off a hotel booking, please come forward and put your hand up. (post here) THaivisa Forum - no coaxing. OK?

I dont give two hoots what newsletters you receive buddy and next time you call me a muppet and puppet without the slightest provocation in a PM I might react differently. Trust we are all clear

I dont give two hoots what newsletters you receive buddy and next time you call me a muppet and puppet without the slightest provocation in a PM I might react differently. Trust we are all clear

I dont give two hoots what newsletters you receive...
Not just me. I am sure many members have signed-up for the ThaiVisa newsletter.
Maybe if you sign-up you can become the one person that gets the 75% off your next booking (by clicking on the newsletter link - which actually directs to booking.com). Unless of course, you still believe that e-mailing is ALWAYS the cheaper option.

I've just responded on the other similar thread with a live example of why emailing is always cheaper. 850 Baht direct with Hotel nothing upfront as always. Agoda 1170 Baht absolute joke same superior B room. Every time every Hotel.

Not true.

sammygood, on 11 Aug 2015 - 15:24, said:snapback.png

best price in thailand: let your thai girlfriend / wife make the call to the hotel

I let my GF go into hotel, and check rates , never cheaper

Same here, we tried it a few times and agoda always works out cheaper... which is weird since they probably have to pay agoda a cut... I have openly booked using agoda in the hotel reception before on my phone, the staff/managers don't seem to care and sometimes almost want you too use agoda.... guess they get good reviews and move up higher in the rankings or something.

Cheers

Why would the staff care? And possibly they are only trained to process bookings that come in through agoda or similar.

Similar to trying to open a bank account in Thailand.

The management of course should care. But do you really expect a Thai manager to hang out with his reception staff?

Right and don't expect reception staff to have the authority to set the room rate only the hotel manager/owner will be able to do that,so don't

come down to hard on the receptionist.

You also need to remove cookies after you visit these sites delete your browsing history etc,Agoda always works for me but I always check the hotels Web site as well to see if its cheaper.I may stay in jontiem in February I will make a shortlist of hotels I want to stay in based on the new agoda map that just shows a price and then check the reviews on agoda and trip advisor and then check them out when I am there,will see what the

rooms are like and the price they offer and then check out the agoda price.

I will book the first3 nights probably with agoda.

@adammike:

Right and don't expect reception staff to have the authority to set the room rate only the hotel manager/owner will be able to do that,so don't
come down to hard on the receptionist.
This happened to me recently. I met the Sales Manager of the Hotel to discuss rates. Before the meeting I asked her if she was able to provide rates. She said yes.
We chat for 15-20 minutes. Agree on a rate. She says that she will email me the agreed rate. she then emails me the rate 600,000 Vietnam Dong per night (without breakfast). She says the General Manager had said Breakfast is an additional 150,000 Dong.
When I pointed out that I cannot agree to something we didn't discuss (I can't..it's the principle), she emails me back saying "I had suggested 600,000 and that she said this was too low". Nothing like this was ever said.
Even if you meet Manager/Owner to discuss. Get any agreed rate in writing, then and there!. Oh!, BTW, I didn't extend my stay at that hotel, checked-out soon afterwards.

Archived