Does Royal Turf Club in Bangkok still have races?

Kitmakmak

I've searched Thaivisa and asked Khun Google, but cannot find any evidence that Royal Turf Club is still active in 2015. I can see that RBSC ran last Sunday and will run again on the 16th. I'm interested in going this Sunday the 9th. TIA

There are two Horse Racing Tracks in Bangkok :

Royal Bangkok Sports Club in Henri Dunant Road

Royal Turf Club in Nang Lerng

They hold races every Sunday, alternating between the two Clubs; RBSC hosted on 2nd August so RTC will host on the 9th.

Patrick

Horse racing in Bangkok is a great afternoon out. Whether it is the 50 baht enclosures sitting on the terraces or the more salubrious surroundings of the committee room with lunch included a good time is awaiting. Betting is not too difficult to follow and is of course one of few options for legalised gaming in the Kingdom. Be aware that children are not allowed.

Races seem to start about fifteen minutes after the advertised time which slots in rather nicely with usual expectations in Thai society. The Tote betting changes rapidly nearer the off so do not be fooled by early betting shows. Don't expect high class horses, do expect heat and humidity and a friendly welcome from all at either RTC or RSBC. I prefer RBSC as its location with all the high rise around makes it very photogenic, a bit reminiscent of Happy Valley in Hong Kong on a much smaller scale. Enjoy!

Sounds fun, is it open for visitors and can we also gamble?

Visitors can get into the Public Stands at RBSC, if you are accompanied by a Member you can get into the main Clubhouse and other private areas. Note that flip flop type shoes are not allowed in either area.

Gambling is on the Tote system but there are many illegal Bookmakers around who will offer more complex bets - if you can communicate with them of course.

The Public Stand is mostly occupied by what may be called the lower levels of Thai Society; because it's a raceday the main Clubhouse admits what are called "Racing Members", usually horse owners or breeders and up-country "Jao Por" types, lots of gold on show, diamond encrusted jewelry etc. - and that's just the men!

It's certainly not Ascot or the Melbourne Cup but it can be a fun afternoon out.

Patrick

Sounds fun, is it open for visitors and can we also gamble?

Visitors can get into the Public Stands at RBSC, if you are accompanied by a Member you can get into the main Clubhouse and other private areas. Note that flip flop type shoes are not allowed in either area.

Gambling is on the Tote system but there are many illegal Bookmakers around who will offer more complex bets - if you can communicate with them of course.

The Public Stand is mostly occupied by what may be called the lower levels of Thai Society; because it's a raceday the main Clubhouse admits what are called "Racing Members", usually horse owners or breeders and up-country "Jao Por" types, lots of gold on show, diamond encrusted jewelry etc. - and that's just the men!

It's certainly not Ascot or the Melbourne Cup but it can be a fun afternoon out.

Patrick

Proper shoes must warn to races under a law enacted by the military dictator, Phibun in the 50s. That's why there are people renting them outside.

Yes, still have races, but not as many as they had a couple of years ago, when it seemed to be every weekend. Our condo overlooks the RBSC, so we can watch the races from our deck (well, we can see about 2/3 of the track)....

However, I just took a look out our window and it looks very quiet today, empty stands, and usually the races would be going around this time -- so no luck for today.

edit: I should have read all of the responses first, I see already well-answered by @p_brownstone

Edited by eppic