Thailand considers cloning ancient contested Preah Vihear temple

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and build your "clone". It will draw a few curious at first, then die. People who want to see Preah Vihear, want to see the REAL THING, not some mock up bull crap!

Thai thinking at it's best.

Look, fake Rolex looks just like the real thing, fake Gucci, Armani, Louis Vuitton the same. All are happily aquired by tourists, so why will they not welcome a fake Phrah Vihear?

Oh my, what a stupid idea. Do they really think tourists, especially foreign tourists, would be interested in coming to Thailand to see a copy? Real tourists travel to see the real thing.

Another stupid idea from another brain dead bureaucrat. I wish these guys would stop having their brain farts in public.

If they want to see the real thing, they should visit Cambodia where it was obviously originated. Seriously, look at it and tell me the Thais built that.

Edited by dageurreotype

Go ahead and build your "clone". It will draw a few curious at first, then die. People who want to see Preah Vihear, want to see the REAL THING, not some mock up bull crap!

Thai thinking at it's best.

Look, fake Rolex looks just like the real thing, fake Gucci, Armani, Louis Vuitton the same. All are happily aquired by tourists, so why will they not welcome a fake Phrah Vihear?

I know you are being facetious, but copying a brand name fashion item is a million miles away from trying to replicate a 900 year old temple complex. There is such a thing as weathering and patina that only age can produce.

"Archaeologists also use the term "patina" to refer to a corticated layer that develops over time that is due to a range of complex factors on flint tools and ancient stone monuments.[1] Wiki.

Edited by ratcatcher

I admit this man has great ideas, he deserves a promotion to the TAT and will really find his spot there.

From all the great temples i've seen in Asia there wasn't one in Thailand. I mean real temples like the Borobudur or Taj Mahall.

Disneyland

Would it be molded in polystyrene foam?

Or will they rob stones from existing Thai temples ...

"Democracy" !! Where art thou? Can you hear me?

He'll always be thanked for giving us a break from Red Shirt violence, but really, ...

Oh my, what a stupid idea. Do they really think tourists, especially foreign tourists, would be interested in coming to Thailand to see a copy? Real tourists travel to see the real thing.

Another stupid idea from another brain dead bureaucrat. I wish these guys would stop having their brain farts in public.

They need good PR management team or they can start holding full moon parties at the new site

Why not build that thing in Bangkok saving the tourst the problem to travel all the way to the hinterland while being exposed to the reckless Van and/or Bus drivers and the souvenir consessions can be made available to genuine Sisaket born and raised citizens.

Great idea! But why stop there, how about also cloning the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon and the Sydney Harbour Bridge whilst singing "We Are The World"

China spends a lot of money building tourist sites withing their borders. They are successful at it, too.

Japan is saturated with mock international cities (with the obligatory replicas of monuments and landmarks) in order to keep most of their tourists at home.

It works there.

Edited by Fookhaht

I'd fly half way around the world to to see a polystyrene copy of an ancient temple.

And come home with anther souvenir t-shirt with the slogan "Same same but different" or "2016 Ancient Khmer temple built in Thailand by Burmese slave labour "

Just how much stupidity can we take from this military government. Just about everyday, we are subjected to clowns in the administration making laughable and idiotic suggestions and statements.

How long is a piece of string?

Disneyland

Would it be molded in polystyrene foam?

Or will they rob stones from existing Thai temples ...

"Democracy" !! Where art thou? Can you hear me?

He'll always be thanked for giving us a break from Red Shirt violence, but really, ...

lego

You know what is so scary to think about. If Siam (Thailand) had gotten its way at around the colonial times when France was meddling, modern day Cambodia wouldn't exist and ALL of the Khmer people's identity would fade/start to fade away (I.e. Khmer cultural areas of Souther Issan) and it would be part of modern Thailand and Thais could happily claim Angkor Wat as "Their own"

"SI SA KET — Those fighting over sacred sites elsewhere in the world should take note of this innovative solution."

I just liked the first line of the press release, like they had stumbled on the secret to world peace and harmony.

Dimwits.

surely the only thing to do that makes sense is go to war over the original site. in the night move the border posts and write up new land boundary in nearest office. then act ignorent and smile a lot when cambodians arrive in the morning.

Words fail me. In a land where plagiarism, new copyright laws, copying and cheating in schools and other forms ............ nope, I'll go back to what I said, words fail me.

A sort of Walt Disney Thailand.......... why does that have a ring of truth to it?

a lovely image without any of that nasty truth/reality besmirching it

But Thailand already has its own 'wonderland". Go look at "ancient city- Muang Boran " in Samut Prakan. Quite A wonderful replication of historic structures in and around Thailand.