Thailand's Dangerous Roads

Gonzo the Face

If you've ever driven from CM to Mae Sai, or for that matter many, many of the other roads in this beautiful country many of us call home, think about this.

Overall it wouldn't be that costly when weighed against the number of lives lost to just such incidents. Think about it .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZetSRWchM4w?rel=0

I read something (but didn't see video) on these a little while ago; they are an outstanding idea, and it would be great to see something similar on all vehicles, large and small. Probably within my lifetime this and all manner of other things I can't even imagine at this time will be standard pieces of kit.

I did wonder whilst my mind wandered during the video if they will ever catch on in litigious countries (I'm looking at you USA) though. I can see lawyers claiming that the vision wasn't clear enough or distorted the distances etc.

VIdeotruck - yet another word to add to the list of words my nan (or my 15 year old self) wouldn't recognise.

The camera would need to be able to see around blind corners for it to be of any use in Thailand.

Regardless, in order to tackle Thailand's dangerous roads, I think the first port of call for the Thai government should be implementing a better driver education system, a more robust driving test, and better enforcement of traffic laws. Not putting large screens on the back of trucks.

Big question would be 'would Thai drivers care?'

All too often I see drivers pulling out to overtake another vehicle, fully aware that there is oncoming traffic, forcing that traffic over onto the shoulder of the road. As a motorbike rider I find that I spend a significant amount of time on the extreme edge of the roadway just to avoid the passing cars and trucks.

My Thai wife passed her driving test last week after having only 10 lessons.She was taught on a track in a field by a 19 year old instructor.When I asked her why she was not taught on the road with real traffic she replied she could not as she did not have a driving licence !