Learning/instructional Center Being Built

Dakhar

Folks, the mother-in-law is building a learning center. It is rather large, it has one large room down stairs that should seat around 50 students, it will be complete with PPT projector, tables, chairs white board, audio system etc. It also has a large gathering area/mingling area etc, and a large porch area. The second floor has 4 classrooms that should seat 15 students comfortably in each room. The second floor also has a large seating area that would be good for an "immersion" area, multi-media room for English etc. The building is located in the Rangsit area.

Now here is the question... one that should have been asked long ago. At the moment she is not too sure what to do with the building. She is thinking that she may rent it out to some enterprising English instructors etc.

So if she does do this, is she technically the owner of a school and needs some type of license?

P.S. I will not be teaching English.... that would probably be acriminal act due to my lack of English skills.

I think first she'll need to set up a company and register its name.

Then she'll need to obtain a school licence through the ministry of education but registered with the local tessabahn. The school licence procedure is a pig and can take a few years. She'll need to find a senior teacher of a certain civil service grade - loads of rules and regulations.

NOW remember the school won't be able to employ teachers legally unless the school can obtain work permits for them. The school can't obtain work permits unless it has a school licence and that takes years. See the problem???

Language schools have got around this by 'employing' teachers with tourist visas. Even when the schools obtained their licence they still continued to do this because it's cheap, easy and they can!!! - until Oct 1st. From then teachers are going to need at least a non-immB if they are thinking of living and working here.

Ohhhh

Not good. She did set up a co. I do plan on "Training" employees for a specific co. within the center. I will not be training the employees English, I will be training them on how to use specific hearing diagnostic equipment. So I hope my position is not an issue. By the way, yes I have a WP... all legit.

So if she was "rent" the building to some enterprising english teachers she would still need a license? I don't understand this concept. OK for example, an MD rents some floor space for a private clinic.... Surely the owner of the floor space does not need a medical license?

But I also see that "He who hold the license holds the Spice." HMMMM

Any responses would be appreciated.

Edited by Dakhar

^ Best advice is, as it's different from a normal company (don't need capital or Thai staff the same as with a normal business), to contact the MoE....as you'll need a Thai principal (or someone will) with a relevant degree (English or Ed based I think) etc.

A farang MD would struggle to practice here mate....that's the problemo.

I am not sure where the subject of a farang MD working in Thailand got into the picture.

The point is, I doubt a landlord, renting space to an MD is required to have a medical license.

The Learning center is the same conceopt. The structure itself is built around teaching, pre "fitted" one could call it... but that is all. Does the owner/landlord need to be licensed as a school?

I would think the answer would be a logical "No."

This is a condensed summary from the business forum.

The process of starting a school is, as commented, somewhat convoluted. This is why a MoE licence is worth buying. It takes months and costs in the region of 1Million Baht.

It involves getting the curriculum approved complete with full lesson plans, you need support from a Thai PhD to get this through the MoE. It was said on more than one thread the PhD had to be on staff. I think a proposed list of staff is needed too.

The proposed location needs to be approved. Plans submitted complete with layout, student numbers, fire escapes and assembly areas defined. That the landlord will not keep the property vacant during the process, or that the teachers will not wait unpaid is apparently of less concern than having plans and staff list to submit.

All this before the first desk, computer or pen is purchased.

Licencing of the business and property with the ampore and provincial offices are another issue.

This is a condensed summary from the business forum.

The process of starting a school is, as commented, somewhat convoluted. This is why a MoE licence is worth buying. It takes months and costs in the region of 1Million Baht.

It involves getting the curriculum approved complete with full lesson plans, you need support from a Thai PhD to get this through the MoE. It was said on more than one thread the PhD had to be on staff. I think a proposed list of staff is needed too.

The proposed location needs to be approved. Plans submitted complete with layout, student numbers, fire escapes and assembly areas defined. That the landlord will not keep the property vacant during the process, or that the teachers will not wait unpaid is apparently of less concern than having plans and staff list to submit.

All this before the first desk, computer or pen is purchased.

Licencing of the business and property with the ampore and provincial offices are another issue.

Usually takes more than months for the MoE to award a school licence. Nearer years. I know one language school that waited 3 years.

The PhD isn't a normal requirement. You need a teacher of a certain civil service grade. They may, or may not, have a PhD.

Otherwise agree with what you said.

Thanks folks,

Umm she is having the cieling in the big class room sprayed with CoolCieling for noise abatement this week.... (CoolCiel is an acoustic material to decrease reverberation issues)

But, I do not think she has even ever heard of the MoE. I will be looking into this further. Thanks for your help.

For a little more information, do a search on the business forum there have been several threads in the past 6 months or so, and post a question there or speak to one of the advisers or lawyers.

It may be cheaper and quicker to buy an existing business in the same province and relocate it. Has the benefit of customer base as well for cash flow. :o

It may be cheaper and quicker to buy an existing business in the same province and relocate it. Has the benefit of customer base as well for cash flow. :o

Not sure if the licence is portable because there are so many checks that involve classrooms, facilities etc.

You could buy a franchise, but just about all that operate in Thailand do not have the best reputations for their franchisor/franchisee relationships.

Sunbelt's website contains schools that are for sale.

Chang_paarp's idea is good and probably the best solution but there will be difficulties that will have to be solved.