Thai "Notary" service?

I have a pension document that I need to have signed by my Thai wife and has a requirement that it be notarized. I live in Mae Sai and it is not practical for my wife and me to travel to Chiang Mai or Bangkok to use the US embassy service. I spoke to a rep from the group managing the pension and they said that they would accept a local (Thai) signature verification. Has anyone used the equivalent of a Thai notary and, if so, where would I find this type of service, preferably in Mae Sai? Thanks for any help.

Members of lawyers association can notarize documents.

Not all.

Some think they are notaries but, as I found out to my cost, they are not. They have to have special licence from the Thai Council of Lawyers.

There is a full list available.

Edited by Jip99

For UK members - I wanted to make a Statutory Declaration at the British Embassy last month and they refused. In my opinion, the senior person therel was very dismissive and unhelpful. Her email below -

I have checked with my colleague with regard to your document.

Whilst XXXXXXXXXXX has mentioned to you that you can get a statutory declaration from the Embassy there is no evidence that it is a requirement that this has to come from us. As there are lawyer in Bangkok who are able to provide this service this would be the preferred option in this case.

There is a link to our list of lawyers as below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-list-of-lawyers

Regards

However, the following week I called again to give her a good ticking-off because from what I could gather from other sources, she was wrong. As it was, she was on holiday and I spoke to a far more helpful lady there who explained that, basically, the Foreign Office would not help with notarising documents where that could be done privately.

She sent me a very helpful explanatory email explaining how things are changing and I attach this below, anonymised, I'd be interested to see what others think, but it seems to me thatthe UK are trying to do as little as possible to help their citizens abroad. The list of lawyers is useless, BTW. Although there are a few UK qualified lawyers in Bangkok, they all seem to have let their UK practicing certificates lapse due to cost.

From UK Embassy -

Thank you for taking my call today. As I mentioned, the way that the Foreign & Commonwealth Office delivers notarial services is changing. Where local providers exist, we now direct customers to these local providers for notarial services. The Consular Strategy 2013-2016 states in part that 'we will withdraw all notarial services where [the] private sector offers alternatives...'

The notarial documentary services page for Thailand also states that 'where local notaries can provide services, the British embassy will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.’

The advice that XXXXX has given is consistent with these directives. We encourage you, therefore, to do the following:

1. Contact the XXXXXXXXXXXXXX to find out if your statutory declaration witnessed by a practicing lawyer in Thailand is acceptable. Their ‘notes for guidance’ states that your declaration can be made ‘before anyone who is authorised by law to hear it (e.g. a solicitor)—they can advise you if a lawyer in Thailand serves as an equivalent. You may want to send them the link to the list of lawyers that Sarah had sent you previously, also found below.

2. If the court agrees to the above, then please continue to contact local lawyers on the list. If, for some reason, they refuse to witness your statutory declaration (as opposed to not being available to do the service for you on a particular date), then please let us know. It would be helpful to provide some evidence of this, e.g. emails stating their refusal to do the service.

XXXXX has previously sent you a list of lawyers, but I attach it again for your convenience: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-list-of-lawyers.

I realise that you are under pressure to comply with this requirement. We will work with you to give you the advice you need while adhering to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office guidelines on notarial services.

I will be available for you at the British Embassy Bangkok until Thursday, 30 July. You are welcome to contact me if you have further questions or concerns.

Sincerely yours

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • 2 weeks later...