Bringing a drone/aerial camera platform to Thailand - gotchas please

As the topic says, On my next visit over, i'll be bringing an Aerial photography platform (or drone) and wonder about anything that may go South. I've googled and found some proposals to outlaw these, and also messaged our favourite food photographer @richardbarrow (with nothing back).

It's purely for leisure purposes, and I can(and will) set a "soft ceiling" in the flight control software to not interfere with commercial traffic - indeed my plans are to film the local RC powerboat guys and have a little fun making some youtube clips...

As far as transport, it'll be in a hardshell case, checked in the cargo hold as additional baggage - with all batteries disconnected and declared on departures. DO i need to 100% discharge batteries before transit for example ?

Any of you guys done this ? I'd be interested for comments from those who are experienced Those who are not pls refrain from troll posts.

Cheers

./P

The word is that all drones WITH CAMERA will be banned.This undoubtedly will come ihto force but not sure when.As for bringing one in-----the customs are very strict about any electronic devices COMING into Thailand even batteries whether discharged or whatever,so be warned.Personally they fly these things all the time here,and it would be a lot cheaper to buy one here than import.I am with a club at Udon Thani and there are dozens.Big ,small FPV,the lot and as been told there and on TV there will be strict laws.The worst thing that could happen is you could have it confiscated Beware

Recently some airlines have a limit of how many mah batteries can be, and some airline requires you to carry it with you. It can't be checked in the luggage due to safety reasons. Best to check with the airline regarding to the battery issue.

As for the drone, you won't have any problems here as long as you don't cause trouble or fly to close to someones property, they might think you are spying on them.

Drones are not currently banned.. Openly sold in many places, easy to import, and have no restrictions at present.. I fail to understand any of the fear mongering posts above.

The process of defining drones v RC aircraft, UAVs, toys etc is not simple to do, until they even attempt it, there is no restrictions.

Do be aware that putting Li Ion batts into checked luggage is restricted due to the fire hazard, check with your airline about checked bags.

The word is that all drones WITH CAMERA will be banned.This undoubtedly will come ihto force but not sure when.As for bringing one in-----the customs are very strict about any electronic devices COMING into Thailand even batteries whether discharged or whatever,so be warned.Personally they fly these things all the time here,and it would be a lot cheaper to buy one here than import.I am with a club at Udon Thani and there are dozens.Big ,small FPV,the lot and as been told there and on TV there will be strict laws.The worst thing that could happen is you could have it confiscated Beware

dittoi

Drones are not currently banned.. Openly sold in many places, easy to import, and have no restrictions at present.. I fail to understand any of the fear mongering posts above.

The process of defining drones v RC aircraft, UAVs, toys etc is not simple to do, until they even attempt it, there is no restrictions.

Do be aware that putting Li Ion batts into checked luggage is restricted due to the fire hazard, check with your airline about checked bags.

RC hobby is gaining popularity worldwide and I think it is the same for Thailand. One could ask the question "when is a rc model a drone?"

Just a plain flying rc model is not a drone but when you ad a camera is the rc model a drone? Or does it need to have more features like long range telemetry system or autonomous capability? Does the size of the rc model matter? Can a non flying rc model be a drone? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

To distinguish al these specifics and shape these in a reasonable law or regulations that will be enforced is not likely and will result in a probably unenforceable ban of all (flying) rc models here in Thailand.

RC in the earlier days was popular with model builders who spent many weekends building and tweaking their models, these days many new RC pilots like to buy their model ready to fly out of the box.

I like to DIY, so I build my own models. An advantage of DIY is that you buy all the necessary components on internet. These components by itself are almost impossible to be banned.

If there will be an import ban on drones, you'll still be able to make your own.

Thanks gents, especially the tip about storing batteries in the hold. Noted.

As for buying one here cheaper biplanebluey, if you or your club mates can source a DJI Phantom 3 (standard) for less than 35k baht, please pm me as i've several friends in country who are also itching to get into the hobby.

./P

Edit for Rimbuman;

I think the difference between drone and RC comes down to the autonomous flying a drone can do without stick input. I can enter mapped waypoints on my tablet and off the drone will fly.....ALthough as an ex raptor 90 pilot, there is surely no thrill than throwing a few grand in the air and fully controlling your investment.....until things go wrong.

Edited by phazey

And every one of those articles discusses possible future legislation.

Therefore currently, drones (however you want to define them) are 100% legal.

Enough evidence for me to question the idea of bringing something into the country that may soon be illegal

Enough evidence for me to question the idea of bringing something into the country that may soon be illegal

Vowels may soon be illegal, but you're still using them.... :)

As for buying one here cheaper biplanebluey, if you or your club mates can source a DJI Phantom 3 (standard) for less than 35k baht, please pm me as i've several friends in country who are also itching to get into the hobby.

Standard version, 29,900 Baht - twinprohobby

Vowels may soon be illegal, but you're still using them.... smile.png

There have been no public proposals to ban vowels. You worry too much.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread. Today DJI dropped the price of the Phantom 3 Standard. As a gesture to those who have recently purchased one, they have emailed a coupon for a free Intelligent Flight Battery (Worth about 6000 odd baht). Apparently if you bought from a local supplier, you should speak to them......I don't think I can link the DJI forums, but there is a discussion there.....

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone !

Is it still possible to travel to Thailand with a small drone in my bag and use it there ? (of course, not in populated or sensitive areas, but just to film nature scenes). I need an update about this topic. I'm traveling to Thailand in April. Thanks in advance.