Registering a Birth Abroad UK citizen

Hi,

I've searched everywhere and can't get any info on waiting times to register a birth abroad. There's a link on one the document to register the birth, but that link doesn't have the relevant info. Anyone know or have any experience with this? As I understand it, it is all done via the UK offices now regardless of where you live...

I did our son's a couple of years ago at the same time that I did his passport, that was then at The Embassy and we received the passport and UK style birth certificate to our house about 5 weeks later, now it's at The Trendy building and they don't send the passport to your house, not sure about the certificate, I just applied for our new daughters passport and it arrived back at Trendy after 2 weeks so I assume the certificate wouldn't be much longer.

Ah my mistake there's a page with the same title as the web address for simply registering a birth. To be honest I didn't initially click on the link because I've already looked at both pages and gone through the process which leads you to the relevant forms, but couldn't find processing times anywhere.

Is this still a straightforward process 11 months after the birth and from the UK. I have all the relevant supporting documents, but just noticed as this makes it easier to get a passport for my child entitling British citizenship I'm surprised at how little hoops there are to jump through...unlike gaining entry for spouses to the UK.

There is no need to register the birth in the UK, and doing so or not will have no effect on your child's British citizenship.

Register a birth abroad

You must register your child’s birth according to the regulations in the country where the child was born. They’ll give you a local birth certificate.
This local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK, eg when you apply for a passport or register with a school or doctor. You might need to have it translated and certified if it isn’t in English.
Once you’ve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.
You don’t need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

• the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate
You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

Whether that is true or not, I can't say.

But if it is, does the time saved in the passport application compensate for the time spent awaiting the consular birth certificate? I don't know the answer to that.

It is also possible that your daughter may find a consular birth certificate useful at some future date if she has to prove her British nationality and does not have her passport for some reason..

Other than that, I see no point in giving HMG money when one doesn't have to!

But, as they say, up to you.

Thanks 7by7, I see you're pretty active on here, do you reckon you might know how long these things normally take if I give you my situation.

As I have been British from birth with British parents/grandparents etc. should this whole process be quick? It appears some people have experienced waits of 6 months for their child's first passport abroad.

I'm currently in Thailand, but as I understand it we can do it from the UK embassy in Bangkok or the UK, but ultimately all applications now get processed in the UK so I was planning to do it from back home. A 6 month wait would ruin my chances of using the SS route and then returning to finish my degree next academic year, so are there ways beyond providing the required documents that will speed the process up? Would photos of us together help? Sounds ridiculous, but would a DNA test speed it up? Really couldn't afford to hang around for 6 months for a passport if I am to attempt this SS route...

I have daughter's and wife's certified translated birth certificates, my passport, should be able to get passport photos done here in next couple of days in which she doesn't need to be looking directly at camera as she's under one year. Countersignatary apparently has to have only known me for 2 years as she is a minor and has to be professional and live in the UK. I have someone in mind for this so is there anything else I've missed?

Wow just went to pick up the certified translated copies in Hua Hin and was told that for a UK passport for my daughter I have to have a court order saying I'm responsible for the child as we aren't/weren't married when our daughter was born! This is news to me. Can anyone confirm this?