Prayut 'to retain power till new govt is formed'

Lite Beer

Prayut 'to retain power till new govt is formed'
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- CHARTER DRAFTERS AGREE FOR NCPO CHIEF TO HAVE AUTHORITY VIA ARTICLE 44 TILL ELECTED CABINET IS READY TO TAKE OFFICE

THE CONSTITUTION Drafting Committee (CDC) has decided that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and the Cabinet maintain the power to invoke Article 44 of the post-coup interim constitution until a new government is formed, a source said yesterday.

The CDC amended a chapter in the charter draft allowing the NCPO and the government to have full power, including the right to take recourse to Article 44, which gives Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, as NCPO chief, the mandate to exercise absolute powers.

Under the Article, the PM can exercise power over the executive, legislative and judicial branches for security matters and national interest.

The source said if the road map to democracy was extended by two years, the government could remain in place for that period. This would hold true even though certain provisions in the charter draft stipulated otherwise, the source said.

The drafters have yet to decide whether to accept a Cabinet recommendation to increase the number of National Strategic Committee members from 17 to 20.

The CDC has also decided to rename |the National Reform Movement Council |to the Assembly of National Reform Movement.

Meanwhile, National Reform Council member Paiboon Nititawan responded to NRC member Boonlert Kachayudhadej's question on what he had in his mind when he proposed that the government stay in power for another two years to complete national reform.

Paiboon said he did not provide details on the proposal because he wanted the NRC to discuss the matter. He said fellow NRC member Chirmsak Pinthong had suggested that if the government extended its term, five reform issues could be dealt with such as police reform.

Although Prayut has insisted that his government would hand the reform mission over to the National Strategic Committee, the National Reform Movement Council and a newly elected government, Paiboon wants the public to have the right to decide if the current administration stays in power for another two years.

He suggested that the NRC hold a vote to decide if a plebiscite is held.

'Not worth effort'

Paiboon said his proposal shared the same objective as a proposal from NRC member Wanchai Sornsiri. He said Wanchai wanted to the NRC to vote down the charter draft so the current administration served a longer term than provided under the road map.

However Wanchai's proposal would extend the government's term by only seven months, which was not enough to complete reforms.

"It is not worth the effort and there would not be enough time to complete reform. The voting-down decision may even bring about political opposition and make reform even more difficult,'' he said.

He said his proposal would create less political conflict and generate more public acceptance because it would be done through a public referendum.

"The Prayut government would have legitimacy to continue in power. It can then exercise power to fulfil the missions as stipulated in four articles on reform in the charter draft,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-to-retain-power-till-new-govt-is-formed-30266231.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-09

So if the PTP or one of their incarnations win he will just use article 44 to go "nah not you lot, oh and this isn't a coup see?" to create a huge sh*t storm.

we'll have to wait and see how the final constitution comes out. At the moment, it looks like it will have enough hooks and levers to execute a coupless coup... coffee1.gif

Who will decide when a new govt is to be formed ?

Oh yes, of course ! biggrin.png

A new Govt is formed when ... :

#1 Hell freezes over

#2 2 thursdays in 1 week

#3 There is a day without any road killing

To say it short ... Never ...blink.png

Oh that is good news! I'd hate for the Thai people to have drag themselves down to the polling booths before the time is right!

On the plus side, no consecutive two week (2X: Sat/Sun) alcohol bans for pesky elections.

#1 Hell freezes over
#2 2 thursdays in 1 week
#4 Thai researchers successfully cross-breed pigs and birds.

Who will decide when a new govt is to be formed ?

Oh yes, of course ! biggrin.png

Mirror Mirror on the wall who would make the best PM of the all? Answer(talking to oneself) You dear General would by far for you are Thailand's brightest/rising star. The people of Thailand cannot go it alone. Show them that your heart is not made of stone. The history books are awaiting your name so show them all how to play the game.

so no matter what kind of constitution will be rolled out in the end, the next set of "elections", such as it were, will be held under Marshal 'Art 44' Law.

doesn't come as a surprise.

Abhisit might just win after all... cheesy.gif

Can someone rule when strapped inside of an Iron Maiden? Hope you have the right to pee.

Elections- not coming soon!

Reminds me of my youthful years when going to the drive-in in the winter and seeing the sign "Closed for the season" I sure hated that I had a hot girl a big blanket a bottle of (good) rum lawn chairs and my trusty Odom. I forgot the popcorn usually. Now those were the days my friend(sounds like a song) I thought they would never end. These words just popped into my head. I guess dementia is a ways off yet.

So if the PTP or one of their incarnations win he will just use article 44 to go "nah not you lot, oh and this isn't a coup see?" to create a huge sh*t storm.

We live in a controlled world some countries more subtle than others. We have Fox news to give us "the truth" Our world has fright induced controls like "its my way or the highway" "If your not with me your against me" "If you don't vote for this your voting for war" "a bad deal is better than no deal" "mission accomplished" and there are many more this feeble brain cannot think of. Our world is like a 3 ring circus with the ringmaster cracking the whip, animals faithfully following the ringmasters wishes and the clones sitting in the bleachers watching the show knowing that if they do not do as they are told they will be thrown into the ring with the animals. We have only refined the "Christians in the Colosseum" process of years gone by. Now they just try and manipulate the brain not eat the whole body. We are being Robotomized and do not even realize it. Sometimes I think Fox News contains subliminal messages. "Take me to your leader!!"

We live in a controlled world some countries more subtle than others. We have Fox news to give us "the truth" Our world has fright induced controls like "its my way or the highway" "If your not with me your against me" "If you don't vote for this your voting for war" "a bad deal is better than no deal" "mission accomplished" and there are many more this feeble brain cannot think of. Our world is like a 3 ring circus with the ringmaster cracking the whip, animals faithfully following the ringmasters wishes and the clones sitting in the bleachers watching the show knowing that if they do not do as they are told they will be thrown into the ring with the animals. We have only refined the "Christians in the Colosseum" process of years gone by. Now they just try and manipulate the brain not eat the whole body. We are being Robotomized and do not even realize it. Sometimes I think Fox News contains subliminal messages. "Take me to your leader!!"

I think most of us found this to be the case......when we were twelve!

Oh that is good news! I'd hate for the Thai people to have drag themselves down to the polling booths before the time is right!

On the plus side, no consecutive two week (2X: Sat/Sun) alcohol bans for pesky elections.

#1 Hell freezes over
#2 2 thursdays in 1 week
#4 Thai researchers successfully cross-breed pigs and birds.

#4 Similar to the fly in fly out tourists (expats..ahem) from certain European countries?