Injured father of toddler killed in West Bank arson dies

Lite Beer

Injured father of toddler killed in West Bank arson dies
MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH, Associated Press

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — The father of a Palestinian toddler killed in a firebomb attack blamed on Jewish extremists died Saturday of the wounds he suffered in the assault.

In the pre-dawn attack on July 31, assailants hurled firebombs into a bedroom of the Dawabsheh family's home in the West Bank village of Duma. Ali Dawabsheh, 18 months, perished in the flames, while his 4-year-old brother and parents were seriously hurt.

Ali's uncle, Nasser, said the family received word early Saturday from Israel's Soroka Medical Center that the toddler's father, Saed, had died. The funeral took place later Saturday with hundreds taking part in the processions, chanting "God is great" and waving the Palestinian flag, as well as flags of the rival Fatah and Hamas movements. Some hurled stones and clashed with Israeli forces after the funeral.

The attack prompted widespread condemnation and pledges by Israel's government to get tougher on Jewish vigilantes who repeatedly have attacked Palestinians and their property over the years.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pledged a "zero tolerance" approach to the attacks and his government has taken steps to crack down following the attack. Several suspected Jewish extremists have been detained, but no one was directly accused of involvement in the attack.

On Saturday, Netanyahu expressed deep sorrow over the death of Dawabsheh. "We will not accept terror from any side," he said in a statement.

Palestinians and Israeli human rights groups say Israeli authorities do little to enforce the law against militant settlers and that the Israeli military largely has failed to protect Palestinians against such attacks.

Many of the attacks have been part of a so-called "price tag" tactic intended to deter the dismantling of unauthorized settlement outposts that have sprung up on West Bank hilltops over the years. Many suspect radicalized Jewish teens have been behind those attacks on Palestinian homes, agriculture and livestock, as well as mosques, churches and even Israeli schools and military bases.

The attack on the Dawabsheh home, coupled with an ultra-Orthodox Jew's fatal stabbing of a 16-year-old girl at a gay pride parade the previous day, sparked outrage in Israel and several large-scale anti-violence demonstrations. On Saturday, another march took place in Tel Aviv "against racism and homophobia."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-09

"prompted widespread condemnation and pledges by Israel's government to get tougher on Jewish vigilantes who repeatedly have attacked Palestinians and their property over the years.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pledged a "zero tolerance" approach to the attacks and his government has taken steps to crack down following the attack."

(Bold emphasis mine)

That's an admission that for "years" Israel has NOT been doing what it could to deter, arrest, and imprison these Jewish terrorists.

"prompted widespread condemnation and pledges by Israel's government to get tougher on Jewish vigilantes who repeatedly have attacked Palestinians and their property over the years.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has pledged a "zero tolerance" approach to the attacks and his government has taken steps to crack down following the attack."

(Bold emphasis mine)

That's an admission that for "years" Israel has NOT been doing what it could to deter, arrest, and imprison these Jewish terrorists.

Too busy playing the victims is why.

(Bold emphasis mine)

Too busy playing the victims is why.

I think it's far more insidious than that. Keep in mind that they want the Palestinians to get fed up and move out.

I'm glad many Israeli are coming out against this violence.

And I don't include the PM, who is IMO partly responsible for this violence by encouraging new settlers and doing nothing against the fanatical ultra orthodox.

Edited by stevenl

(Bold emphasis mine)

Perhaps Netanyahu should go further and stop naming streets and squares after terrorists or paying them a salary when they are in jail using money donated by the E.U.....Hang on, silly me I'm thinking of Mahmoud Abbas.

Keep in mind that they want the Palestinians to get fed up and move out.

Where to? Arab States (Jordan aside) have generally enclosed them in ghettos and written up official legislation to bar them from equal treatment and opportunity, and absorption as nationals. Doing so would mean losing the cogs for the anti Israel machine. Arabs themselves have highlighted this in various articles. The population in the West Bank and Gaza is the highest it has ever been. The facts contradict the theory in this particular subject.

(Bold emphasis mine)

Perhaps Netanyahu should go further and stop naming streets and squares after terrorists or paying them a salary when they are in jail using money donated by the E.U.....Hang on, silly me I'm thinking of Mahmoud Abbas.

It is noted you not once offered any sympathy for the deceased yet found it necessary to go completely off topic in an attempt to twist this into a blame Palestine rant.

Shame, but no surprise.

(Bold emphasis mine)

There are terrorists on both sides of this conflict and atrocities have been committed by Israelis and Palestinians alike.

To demonize one side and hold up the other as a paragon of virtue is simple-minded if done sincerely.

Pushing an agenda is the more probable reason in most cases... as can be clearly seen on this forum.

It's transparent propaganda that even a child could see through.

Keep in mind that they want the Palestinians to get fed up and move out.

Where to? Arab States (Jordan aside) have generally enclosed them in ghettos and written up official legislation to bar them from equal treatment and opportunity, and absorption as nationals. Doing so would mean losing the cogs for the anti Israel machine. Arabs themselves have highlighted this in various articles. The population in the West Bank and Gaza is the highest it has ever been. The facts contradict the theory in this particular subject.

No surprise there; it's their own country, Palestine.

It could be said: "The population of Israel is the highest it has ever been."

Let the Palestinians live on their land without the constant fear of eviction or having a firebomb thrown through their bedroom window.

(Bold emphasis mine)

You are right SD-there is an Israeli airport named after an abhorrent terrorist, isn't there?

(Bold emphasis mine)

You are right SD-there is an Israeli airport named after an abhorrent terrorist, isn't there?

More than that... several have served as prime ministers.

The usual generic lies and rhetoric from our esteemed members can't hide the facts. That's why they indulge in wallpapering in order to avoid addressing said facts. The difference between Netanyahu dealing with the Duma murders and Abbas dealing with the murders of the Fogel family is as clear as day verses night.

http://m.jpost.com/Magazine/Murdering-Jewish-children-is-for-Allah-according-to-the-Palestinian-Authority-411334#article=6028ODZEMjcxNTU1RkQxODk4QzI3MThFNzM3RDJDNzg2RkU=

The usual generic lies and rhetoric from our esteemed members can't hide the facts. That's why they indulge in wallpapering in order to avoid addressing said facts. The difference between Netanyahu dealing with the Duma murders and Abbas dealing with the murders of the Fogel family is as clear as day verses night.

http://m.jpost.com/Magazine/Murdering-Jewish-children-is-for-Allah-according-to-the-Palestinian-Authority-411334#article=6028ODZEMjcxNTU1RkQxODk4QzI3MThFNzM3RDJDNzg2RkU=

And still no comment on this unfortunate family, as long as you can find a way to use their death to demonise Palestine you are happy.

No surprise there; it's their own country, Palestine.

You acknowledge then that the data does not support the rather shrill portrayals out there that they are being systematically eradicated by Israel. Thank you. It was an acknowledgement wrapped up within an irrelevant commentary about land claims and firebombs, but acknowledgment it was.