My dog seems to sleep at least 20 hours a day.

I have a 12 month old dog, a mixed breed, but looks to have a lot of Poodle in him as he doesn't moult and his hair is more like wool. I have had him checked out at the vet for blood parasites, liver function etc, and all is normal, but he seems to sleep an awful lot for a healthy dog. Maybe it's the climate in Thailand, because my dog in Australia (dead now) didn't seem to sleep anything like as long as the one here. He's a very picky eater as well, very rarely eating more than once a day, sometimes not at all. He looks healthy enough, he's not a big dog, only weighs 7 kilos, but the amount he sleeps does worry me a bit. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

If your really worried consult a vet

But as long as he's still getting enuf cardio exercise personally i wouldnt be to worried and the same goes for the food, but be careful his 'pickyness' dont lull you into him totally controlling his diet that sometimes dont work out so well for its health,, or your budget.

rijit

If your really worried consult a vet

But as long as he's still getting enuf cardio exercise personally i wouldnt be to worried and the same goes for the food, but be careful his 'pickyness' dont lull you into him totally controlling his diet that sometimes dont work out so well for its health,, or your budget.

rijit

Already had blood tests done at the vet, all is normal.

If he is just sleeping but up for a walk or a trip in the car....no worries. Dogs get bored to...

If he doesnt do anything but sleep and sleep and has no spirit then you could call Caesar Millan......

If he is just sleeping but up for a walk or a trip in the car....no worries. Dogs get bored to...

If he doesnt do anything but sleep and sleep and has no spirit then you could call Caesar Millan......

He's definitely keen for his evening walk and loves the car. Sounds soft, but sometimes we go for a drive more for his enjoyment than ours.

Only feed him with good quality dry food to be sure that he do not have stomach troubles.....one time a day...The same kind and brand for life and the dog will keep healthy just eating one time a day....He will eat never more than really he needs.

I have a 12 month old dog, a mixed breed, but looks to have a lot of Poodle in him as he doesn't moult and his hair is more like wool. I have had him checked out at the vet for blood parasites, liver function etc, and all is normal, but he seems to sleep an awful lot for a healthy dog. Maybe it's the climate in Thailand, because my dog in Australia (dead now) didn't seem to sleep anything like as long as the one here. He's a very picky eater as well, very rarely eating more than once a day, sometimes not at all. He looks healthy enough, he's not a big dog, only weighs 7 kilos, but the amount he sleeps does worry me a bit. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Clearly a descendant of my wife's family.

Rejoice - it sounds like my kind of dog: only four hours a day when it can annoy neighbours; is taken out for spins in a car so it doesn't cause accidents; only feeds once a day so it cannot produce much pooh as an unsightly health hazard. If only there were lots more dogs like this in Thailand.

Rejoice - it sounds like my kind of dog: only four hours a day when it can annoy neighbours; is taken out for spins in a car so it doesn't cause accidents; only feeds once a day so it cannot produce much pooh as an unsightly health hazard. If only there were lots more dogs like this in Thailand.

yep thats my boy aswell,small breakfast after his 30min.walk,then its sleep,sleep and sleep till 4pm.dinner at 5pm.then evening walk,bed at 6.30pm.then sleep,sleep till 6am. 2craps a day in the garden and a roll with the wife when she comes to bed.WHAT A LIFE.saai.gif

How do you know he's sleeping?

Buddhist tradition says that dogs are re-incarnate monks who were naughty in their previous lifetime. Perhaps your dog is merely in a very deep meditative state.

Dogs sleep a lot more than we realize. I think the average dog sleeps 60-70% of the time. Some more, some less.

https://sleep.org/articles/how-much-do-dogs-sleep/

I had two Golden Retrievers and a retired racing Greyhound in the States and they all were lazy sack rats until it was time for a walk or car ride. You dog sounds pretty normal to me.

I used to train dogs for a living, so I have some experience.

Only feed him with good quality dry food to be sure that he do not have stomach troubles.....one time a day...The same kind and brand for life and the dog will keep healthy just eating one time a day....He will eat never more than really he needs.

Once a day is very old school. Big dogs now get fed twice daily and I think small dogs 3 times. i agree with the good QLT dry food. Mine (nearly 3 years old) eats Royal Canine since birth. there are feeding charts on the package as for how much to give as per the dog's size. You should of course monitor the dog to see he's not getting too fat nor too skinny.

As some1 already mentioned - play with the dog as much as you can to keep it active. Mine will play ball as long as some1 will play with her - never stops by herself. Whenever in the farm she keeps herself busy running, swimming, chasing animals and bringing me round ball like fruits to throw for her to fetch.

At home - unless I play with her (ball, sticks - whatever) - she'll just sleep. Boredom...

Just a thai dog waiting for his next life.

Watch out for thai people poisoning dogs, some hold them with very low regard not a family member as we would.

Not to worry too much tho i think, as said above probably just sees whats going on around him and does the same. Upcountry even a dog has nothing to do except sleep.

My dog seems to sleep at least 20 hours a day.

So do i and i love it, leave me alone, as i used to say to

my mum, i'm not a farmer, have no chickens or pigs so

why do i have to get up at the crack of dawn.

Your dog is my kind of person.

He's definitely keen for his evening walk and loves the car. Sounds soft, but sometimes we go for a drive more for his enjoyment than ours.

It's not soft. If you enjoy his enjoyment then everybody wins.

It's not soft. If you enjoy his enjoyment then everybody wins.

A trip in the car, then a few hours down at the beach digging sand, while I chill out under the umbrellas with a cold one. No better way to spend the day.

Mine was the same ... not doing nothing, just sleeping .. not interested in any other activities, also wakes up and just drinks ..

I didn't know what to do ... after a few years of the same I did what I needed to do. ...

I kicked her out ! oh sorry, I mean my wife !!

the dog stayed. ...

Edited by steven100

Oh Dear

The OP is worried about his dog.

To those who actually take care of dogs and have given the usual cr*p TV responses shame on you. ( actually suspect they do not have a dog)

Always make sure you dog is well. They give unconditional love and you are their world - that's how it works .

20 hours sleeping is not quite right. I would ask if he/ she has a routine- ie you go to sleep- they sleep too.

Up in the morning - out for walk and pee etc, dinner at same time- walk before bed- sorry if that is what you are doing. They like routine.

Otherwise find a really good vet and be prepared to push and spend some money