Beer !

peterdigger

I know that Carlsberg stopped making Carly in February - I can stand that Chang rubbish - does anyone know if this is a permanent thing ? I am furiously stocking up every Carly can or bottle I can find and it is getting hard to find any ! Any good news would be welcome !

Put three glasses next to each other...

In the first you poor a bottle of carlsberg (if you can find one)

In the second you poor draft Chang (they start to pop up everywhere, they just put Chang stickers over the Carlsberg label)

In the third you poor a bottle of Chang...

Taste each glass (this is the best part :o )...

I did it and either they are getting rid of leftover Carlsberg stock, or they just continued to brew with the Carslberg recipe... The Chang draft does not taste like bottled Chang at all, but tastes very very similar to bottled Carslberg!!!

I wouldn't put it past a Thai company to pull a stunt like this... They have the installation, the recipe, ....

Chang is Calsberg, check the Elephant. You can also go to Carlsbergs website and check out their label-library, the Chang labels are there.

They presumably realized the moot point in competing with themselves and decided one brand was enough.

I know that Carlsberg stopped making Carly in February - I can stand that Chang rubbish - does anyone know if this is a permanent thing ? I am furiously stocking up every Carly can or bottle I can find and it is getting hard to find any ! Any good news would be welcome !

Carlsberg have had a serious fall out with CP (the owner of among other things, Chang) arbitration and other legal stuff and Carlsberg is out of Thailand for a very long time and basically have relocated their Asian HQ back to Copenhagen. I guess somebody could assume the imports of CArlsberg, which was also handlled by a CP affiliate, but he will surely make life very difficult for the company trying.

Agree, sad sad.

Cheers..........kandt :o

Chang rubbish

:D I'll not hear a bad word said about this golden delight!!!

George would ban him forever for saying mean things about his favorite tipple. :D ( ooooops tipple sounds as though it is taken in moderation by our leader and it isn't )

From what I understand, George does like a nipple...oops I mean a tipple :o:D

None of the Thais I work with would EVER try to sell anything through 7-11 or to any other of CP's subsidiaries. CP is infamous in Thailand for stealing other peoples ideas and copy their product. Incidetally it's also famous for crappy service and serive staff with a complete lack of knowledge.

I hope Carlsberg wins a huge compensation. CP deserve a huge whack.

ASIC

as a regular chang drinker ( VERYYYY regularly !!!) can only say the "SO CALLED " draught chang i had the great displeasure to sample in hua hin last week ( THROUGH A CARLSBERG PUMP BY THE WAY !!!) was <deleted>****G LOLLY WATER !!! last time i tasted beer that bad was new zealand DB DRAUGHT !! . will never buy my chang outside the bottle again !!!!

Chang beer was Carlesberg answer to Singha beer. Low cost, low quality, high alcohol content which is why the brand name appears on the Carlsberg list of labels.

What I am confused about is, why did the legal problems only affect the premium brand and not all the brands from the brewer?

I seem to remember Chang Beer was sold as a premium beer in the UK in the early 90's as Carlsberg Thai Elephant Beer. The big selling point being the strength. Was a masterpiece of marketing really, selling a budget product in the country of origin as a premium product in Europe.

Had quite a bit of fun drinking it in the student bar when at Uni.

Not sure what became of this though, I can't imagine Carlsberg being too keen to continue in the circumstances :o

Carlsberg Elephant beer has been around for 50 years or more. When we were kids it was our beer of choice to a quick buzz due to the relatively sweet taste and strength.

Beer Chang has nothing to do with the Carlsberg Elephant beer on sale in Europe. If you go to the old Carlsberg headquarters in Valby Copenhagen, you will see the huge stone entry portal with an elephant statue on both sides. This portal was built in 1890, a few years before Thailand became a target for beer export, and gave the name to the "Elephant Beer" in Europe.

I read that when Carlsberg came to Thailand they cloned Singha - the then most popular beer. I think it tastes pretty good - certainly when compared to Carlsberg UK's product.

They have closed production in Thailand but does that mean they are ceasing sales or will they import from another factory possibly Malaysia. Brewers seem to like operating from one big central factory and spens a fortune transporting what is mainly water.

Everyone that I know goes for Heineken. I think it's because it tastes nice.

I just loooked up Chang Beer's TCC website and quote "

Chang Beer - Best Selling Thai Beer

Chang Beer is Thailand's best-selling beer. Positioned as "Another Degree of Thai Beer" with two venerable white elephants symbolizing strength and solidarity of the Thai society, Chang Beer became the brand leader just within a few years of launching in 1995 and now has enjoyed the leader position of more than 62% at the thai beer market since 2001.

Chang Beer's full-bodied, smooth taste is truly expressive of the finest quality natural ingredients that have gone through a technologically advanced and meticulously controlled production process. Quality control extends to every stage of production, starting from the selection of malt, rice, hops and water, through fermentation of the hopped cereal solution with a special strain of yeast to filling and final packaging of the product. Furthermore, batch testing is done continually to ensure Chang Beer retains consistently its perfect body, heady color and characteristic flavor.

As true testament of its unique taste and quality, Chang Beer was awarded a Gold Medal at the 1998 Australian International Beer Awards in the lager category, and has maintained as well its status as "The # 1 Thai Beer."

Please note that "Quality control extends to every stage of production starting from the selection of RICE?[/b]