10-year-old Thai boy electrocuted by water cooler

webfact

About time Thailand introduced Portable Appliance Testing...

A earth leakage trip should also be mandatory on machines like that.

Not only electrical issues but also looks like a breading ground for all sorts of nasty bacteria.

Usually there is an earth wire connected to the outer "shell". But how does it help if there is no earth wire in the house and no detection in fuse board.....

A residual current device will operate with no earth connection.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's funny how these electrocutions happen and no one ever mentiones why the fuse did not blow. Is it always replaced by coins or a nail etc?

I have taken 230 volts (the current Thailand has) on my fingers and yes it stings, but will not kill you. Of course having water added to the formula makes it more dangerous, but a 10A fuse would have blown manyfold before killing the kid.

Really?.....tell that to the young boys parents.

Hey Koo .

I suggest you hold on to it longer to get the best result of how dangerous this is. And best you do some studying and learn that fuses and circuit breakers are for protection of the cable wiring and for nothing else. Now if it was wired to western standards and had the correct devices including a RCD , ELCB or safety switch whatever you want to call it. It would of picked up the fault and tripped the circuit immediately.

But unfortunately this is Thailand and they have a long way to get up to western standards and it may never be possible for the poor people in the countryside where they cannot afford it.

Edited by fezzy

so sad. RIP

It makes me mad seeing still school authorities blaming the kid for the accident. why was that water cooler still there if it was out of order? was there any sign on it? why was it kept close to the power outlet?

Police should hold responsible the authority for act of negligence.

RIP. Very sad and very easy to prevent. A few baht worth of wire. Even the cable I see laying on the streets and sidewalks all over Thailand could have worked as a path to ground to save this poor child.

Remember the kid that died touching the ATM last year? It was not grounded and a pinched AC line energized the metal case and he provided a path to ground.

As we all know, AC plugs and AC strips don't have wires for a ground connection in Thailand. Too expensive for the third piece of wire. So even if your device has a third ground connect on your plug, it is NOT MAKING A PROPER CONNECTION TO GROUND.

Make sure your appliances are grounded properly because if you live in Thailand there is a very good chance they are not.

Edited by NCC1701A

As an old friend used to say - Teachers are the idiots of education! Why was this known danger left there? Why did it still have a plug on it? Why didnt someone take the responsible step and move it or remove it when the new one was installed. All so obvious but everyday I see totally unnecessary dangerous things happening here! Very sad and sudden end to a young persons life. RIP... I hope and pray that preventive measures are taken so that this tragedy is not a complete waste.

Come on you blokes, this has not happened in the usa or britain or Australia??? Yes the school was at fault,yes a rcd system would of saved the childs life but bitching about the people isnt going to help. In your wisdom, instead of criticism, how about educating or helping to pay for upgrades in schools near you.

Typical of Thailand people. Don't they teach people to care about others. When you drive or walk you can get hurt so easily. I find people park on sidewalks and don't leave any room for people to walk so they have to walk around whatever obstruction there is and go into the street with traffic. I walk across the street and even though traffic might be backed up in front of a car, the drivers would lose no time, yet they don't stop until they have too. How many times have I seen poles sticking out of some store and if you don't watch where you walk, your feet and head, you could lose your eye or even your life from someone who is just careless.

I guess its a 3rd world thing, but what do they teach the people in school??? Run down your neighbor not care enough for your fellow man so if they die, oh well?

I feel so sorry for the boy who died for nothing. Another life robbed here. Its just careless and here you see them try and limit alcohol. What about everything else that can hurt you. Alcohol is a least worry compared to everything else that can kill you here in a heart beat.

Duty of care?

I doubt that the concept is understood in this backward Country.

These tragic accidents will be repeated over again and again and a solution would be a Government order that all Schools have earthed electrical circuits which can help to prevent fatal results.

It's funny how these electrocutions happen and no one ever mentiones why the fuse did not blow. Is it always replaced by coins or a nail etc?

I have taken 230 volts (the current Thailand has) on my fingers and yes it stings, but will not kill you. Of course having water added to the formula makes it more dangerous, but a 10A fuse would have blown manyfold before killing the kid.

Unfortunatley a 1 amp fuse would not have prevented this tragedy

Electrical Safety (what electrical safety?) Most GPO.s (general power outlets) aren"t even wired to an earth, Mandatory retro earthing should be applied initially on all public buildings including schools, then mandatory installation of an circuit protection RCD (residual current device), WOW, can we really see this happening when even the most basic of hazard and risk reduction methods are not employed. As for cutting the plug off, I agree in most places this would work, but how many times have we seen bared wires shoved into an outlet and held in place by another piece of wire? And yes mandatory PAT (portable appliance testing) should be done, I've got stacks of tags available, but unfortunately no one here would know what they are, or even pay attention to them. Educating the industry will be a major hurdle but it must start somewhere.

Pity this resulted in someone losing their life. ( author:- certified workplace safety inspector)

Edited by Taffyfromflint

The parents need to take full legal action against the school instead of accepting a 'so sorry, this accident, here's 50,000 baht'.... and press for someone to see jail time... the courts need to make an example of somebody and find them guilty of manslaughter through gross negligence.... However, we all know it'll never happen.

By the look of this machine it's a wonder it didn't spread disease as well. full of mold and never been cleaned.The poor little kid should have been warned or at the very least those in charge should have simply cut the cord and plug off .If the rest of the school is as clean as this machine I worry abot the health of all the kids. And no safety swith. Unbelievable.

Not only electrical issues but also looks like a breading ground for all sorts of nasty bacteria.

Usually there is an earth wire connected to the outer "shell". But how does it help if there is no earth wire in the house and no detection in fuse board.....

How? if there is no earth wire and I connect the line with the housing how can the current device recognize that?

How? if there is no earth wire and I connect the line with the housing how can the current device recognize that?

Picks up an imbalance between the active and neutral conductors with a sensing coil . If they are not the same and there is leakage it will pick this up and trip out. Edited by fezzy

The parents need to take full legal action against the school instead of accepting a 'so sorry, this accident, here's 50,000 baht'.... and press for someone to see jail time... the courts need to make an example of somebody and find them guilty of manslaughter through gross negligence.... However, we all know it'll never happen.

Sorry, i would disagree with that. Sending someone to jail is not going to bring the kid back to life, it would be difficult to blame one person for this tragedy.

IMO, yes, legal action should be taken but not necessarily against the school alone, but against the entire education establishment to bring the facts home to everyone.

It is far past time that safety rules are not only followed but enforced, especially in areas where children are concerned.

Safety is not difficult if people are guided through it. Even in this country.

Picks up an imbalance between the active and neutral conductors with a sensing coil . If they are not the same and there is leakage it will pick this up and trip out.

Ahh yes...when the boy touch the device it will pick it up.....

I had in my mind the device stays alone on rubber feet and there is no imbalance....I didn't think of the imbalance when someone touch.....

Don't schools in Thailand generally have someone there that teaches English? How hard is it for the assistant administrator to ask the English teacher for help. A simple google of "lockout plug device" and clicking on images takes two seconds. Cutting off the plug or posting a sign on the machine or both would have been better than nothing, but properly locking out bad equipment is so simple. The only cultural issue, and it is true of any culture really, is to teach people to take the time to ask simple questions of google or on a forum or calling a friend who works in a factory. Schools are supposed to be in the business of transferring knowledge and being resourceful.

Come on you blokes, this has not happened in the usa or britain or Australia??? Yes the school was at fault,yes a rcd system would of saved the childs life but bitching about the people isnt going to help. In your wisdom, instead of criticism, how about educating or helping to pay for upgrades in schools near you.

Ive just spent 3 days concreting holes in the road near my land, mixed by hand, locals couldnt give a flying <deleted>, but build a new buddha worship hut in the village very important, Ive even watched them fall off their bikes on the corner of my land going down the holes.....guess thats why they had to build the stoopid Buddha hut so he would protect them.....problem solved eh

Sorry but fuses are only there to protect the wiring - not necessarily the equipment and certainly not the user. 50 milliamperes can dispatch you, let alone 10 amps. The only proper way is to use a sensitive earth-leakage circuit breaker or RCCB with a decent earth connection.

Don't schools in Thailand generally have someone there that teaches English? How hard is it for the assistant administrator to ask the English teacher for help. A simple google of "lockout plug device" and clicking on images takes two seconds. Cutting off the plug or posting a sign on the machine or both would have been better than nothing, but properly locking out bad equipment is so simple. The only cultural issue, and it is true of any culture really, is to teach people to take the time to ask simple questions of google or on a forum or calling a friend who works in a factory. Schools are supposed to be in the business of transferring knowledge and being resourceful.

schools here are about "towing the line" and nothing more.

Sorry but fuses are only there to protect the wiring - not necessarily the equipment and certainly not the user. 50 milliamperes can dispatch you, let alone 10 amps. The only proper way is to use a sensitive earth-leakage circuit breaker or RCCB with a decent earth connection.

And if they actually had those it would keep tripping so they would bypass it..................I guarantee that 100%

Our local water supply went from half reasonable to filthy disgusting brown muck with shells /shrimps in etc, I asked the head of village why, he said "filter kept blocking so we took it off" Theres the level of intelligence you are up against constantly