thai car drive to china

user643543

not found a newer posting - many of you maybe see already, that there are since about 3 years many many chinese-plated cars driving through thailand.

special here in the north - coming mostly from kunming via boten (laos) to chiang khong via the friendship bridge!

some cars drive in groups - big groups sometimes in a convoy with thai-police - but most cars driven alone with chinese-drivers - no thai-guide - nada - hard to talking with them, most people speak no english - no other language!

i even met them on koh chang etc. etc.!

does someone here in the forum know the rules for this invasion of chinese cars? i also never saw, that one car have a country-sticker on it...! clap2.gif

do we have the same rights like them - let's say - can we drive now a thai-plated-car via laos to china? and back again to thailand?

i read most the posting in the past about the rules before in china - but not found an updated information about this issue!

thanks in advance!

this photo i made two days ago on the way from mae sai to chiang rai - about 10 honda crosstour and some other cars

post-18149-0-93920000-1439297805_thumb.j

Edited by edh69

Interesting - i would very much like to drive my car to Kunming, but I'm lead to believe that it will cost about 3000 dollars to get through the border and pay for a compulsory "guide" to accompany me........ It looks as if the deal on the new "Trans Asia Highway" is a bit lop-sided?

I know it can be done as I've read about people who have done it. One was relatively famous and the government did a special deal for him. From what I've read, it's very difficult and may require a ride along "guide".

Plus, driving in China is insane. They are really bad drivers.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_China

According to Chinese statistics [2], China has about 100,000 traffic deaths a year, more than twice the number in United States even though the US has more than four times as many cars [3], [4]. According to the World Health Organisation [5] "In China, traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for people between 15 and 45" and the annual Chinese traffic death toll is near 250,000 [6].

To a newcomer, Chinese traffic appears to have no rules or, if there are rules, it appears they are neither followed nor enforced. In reality, of course, there are rules; they do generally manage to avoid hitting each other. However, Chinese rules are very different from what most travellers are used to. To Western eyes, appallingly bad driving is the norm, and insane or suicidal behaviour behind the wheel is fairly common.

I know it can be done as I've read about people who have done it. One was relatively famous and the government did a special deal for him. From what I've read, it's very difficult and may require a ride along "guide".

According to Chinese statistics [2], China has about 100,000 traffic deaths a year, more than twice the number in United States even though the US has more than four times as many cars [3], [4]. According to the World Health Organisation [5] "In China, traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for people between 15 and 45" and the annual Chinese traffic death toll is near 250,000 [6].

To a newcomer, Chinese traffic appears to have no rules or, if there are rules, it appears they are neither followed nor enforced. In reality, of course, there are rules; they do generally manage to avoid hitting each other. However, Chinese rules are very different from what most travellers are used to. To Western eyes, appallingly bad driving is the norm, and insane or suicidal behaviour behind the wheel is fairly common.

Stats - schmats.....China is a rapidly developing country with a huge population and little or no tradition of car ownership....what do you expect?

There are agents who will sort all the stuff out for you including "guide" they will meet you at the border and do all the necessary bureacracy, but I was quoted 20000 yuan.....I'd like to share the cost before doing the 650 km from Laos to Kunming

Stats? About 800 die every day in accidents there. Not to mention the thousands injured. Those are stats to pay attention to.

My first day in Beijing I saw a cop directing traffic hit and killed. He laid in the road and nobody went to help him. A few days later, I saw an old guy on a bike hit and killed. I was only there for a week and was amazed at the number of accidents I saw. Plus, they drive like crazy. As a pedestrian, it's a free for all.

I did that section from Laos to Kunming several years ago, but by bus. Not too much traffic on the roads, except near the bigger cities. Parts were quite scenic.

I'm beginning to think I've driven there already!

Stats? About 800 die every day in accidents there. Not to mention the thousands injured. Those are stats to pay attention to.

My first day in Beijing I saw a cop directing traffic hit and killed. He laid in the road and nobody went to help him. A few days later, I saw an old guy on a bike hit and killed. I was only there for a week and was amazed at the number of accidents I saw. Plus, they drive like crazy. As a pedestrian, it's a free for all.

I did that section from Laos to Kunming several years ago, but by bus. Not too much traffic on the roads, except near the bigger cities. Parts were quite scenic.

Stats mean nothing until they are interpreted and simple "A therefore B" is just daft as we usually have no idea how they were complied and even what percentage mileage/car numbers/population they represent it who complied them and how (Chinese Officials???)

Motoring stats are some of the worst ever and they always fall prey to the interpretation of layman.

I guess from you post you are saying that the roads of China are dangerous - well statistically speaking they don't come near to Thailand.......

I fct any country you drive in you look/observe and adapt...regardless of what others think the statistics say.

and I seem to need to repaet this agin and again...the plural of anecdote is note data.

stats can be a guide to an intelligent analysis of many topics .... sadly when it comes to road safety they are particularly lacking in this.

You do your own analysis and drive in China if you think it's safe. After ten years first hand observation of the carnage on the roads there, and some terrifying journeys by car in which drivers reverse against high-speed traffic down the motorway, I'll pay attention to what the World Health Organisation says - and pass:

http://www.ibtimes.com/china-traffic-deaths-more-200000-annual-fatilities-road-accidents-world-health-1910537

mmm lived there for a year never seen anything like that.

I'm beginning to think I've driven there already!

Even the chinese get sick of the traffic too, Law of authority on the road is the Number plate. Government Official cars have right of way no matter what the street sign is.

You get use to it after a while. Then becomes the norm.

do we have the same rights like them - let's say - can we drive now a thai-plated-car via laos to china? and back again to thailand?

i read most the posting in the past about the rules before in china - but not found an updated information about this issue!

The simple answer is no.

China isn't a signatory to the Vienna convention on road traffic.

If you wanted to take your Thai registered car into China you'd need to obtain registration for it in China (how you do this outside of China I have no idea) and you'd also need to obtain a Chinese drivers license as the IDP's aren't accepted, although I have read that they don't always enforce that.

If you've ever been to Hong Kong before you may seen the dual plated cars because even Hong Kong residents are required to obtain seperate mainland registration and a license to enter the mainland.

The simple answer is no.

If you wanted to take your Thai registered car into China you'd need to obtain registration for it in China (how you do this outside of China I have no idea) and you'd also need to obtain a Chinese drivers license as the IDP's aren't accepted, although I have read that they don't always enforce that.

If you've ever been to Hong Kong before you may seen the dual plated cars because even Hong Kong residents are required to obtain seperate mainland registration and a license to enter the mainland.

You can drive to china, You need to get guarantor for your vehicle , Call them when you arrive at border they will speak to customs. also need Visa etc. If you dont have guarantor, you can pre-negotiate with chinese travel agent they can do this for a fee, give yourself at least 3 months preparation etc. They can advise you on drivers license too.

From my experience driving in china, I was never checked.

Hong kong dual number plated cars mostly limosines day tripping tourists to shenzhen for the day from the marriott , shangri la hotels etc.

Isn't that the same in Thailand ? Pure chaos.

The simple answer is no.

no - not true - true is - there are thousands of foreign cars and bikes and campers and trucks already driven to china - through china etc. etc.!

and - breaking news - good news - in the near future - very soon clap2.gif it will be possible, to drive your own car without guides and so on through china!

the gov will very soon give more infos about this facts!

i am in contact with one of the biggest tour-operators in china about this matter!

will keep you informed here in the forum!

clap2.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

just remember that you cannot take your own Thai registered vehicle out of Thailand for more than 30 days or Thai customs will fine you 1,000 baht per day, maximum 10,000 and there is no getting an extension.

just remember that you cannot take your own Thai registered vehicle out of Thailand for more than 30 days or Thai customs will fine you 1,000 baht per day, maximum 10,000 and there is no getting an extension.

Whilst that is the current situation one can always hope for change

China on the other hand is hoping to increase tourism by 100% by 2015. Whereas much of this will be domestic, one hope they will encourage foreigners too and easing the restrictions of private vehicles would be a help.

as for the 30 days, Kunming is about 650 km from the Laos border...I would expect to do the round trip in about 2 weeks and still have time to take in the scenery.

so what - where is the problem?

as for the 30 days, Kunming is about 650 km from the Laos border...I would expect to do the round trip in about 2 weeks and still have time to take in the scenery.

my planning is the following in 30 days

houay xai (laos - china - laos) - houay xai

better would be back via vietnam (hanoi) and laos - but it's not possible so far...?! coffee1.gif

Edited by edh69

better would be back via vietnam (hanoi) and laos - but it's not possible so far...?! coffee1.gif

If your car is RHD, you can't get into Vietnam

I hope you get to pull this off. Please do trip reports for us if you do. It will be an amazing trip.

Stats mean nothing until they are interpreted and simple "A therefore B" is just daft as we usually have no idea how they were complied and even what percentage mileage/car

I guess from you post you are saying that the roads of China are dangerous - well statistically speaking they don't come near to Thailand.......

1) Stats are meaningless? Where else do you get your numbers from? Stats are the beginning. Without them, it's just a guess.

2) Lived in China for 10 years and 5 so far in Thailand. Thailand is a breath of sanity compared to drivers in China. The only reason China's stats look better is that they lie, and they don't have nearly the same percentage of scooters. On a per km in a 4 wheel vehicle, Thailand is much safer.

There's been some studies done comparing the fatalities listed by the highway people in China vs the fatalities listed by the hospitals, and the highway people are lying through their teeth. They were off by a huge factor. But the guys that did that study probably got banged up for revealing state secrets.

The stats here are much higher due to scooters. A huge percentage of accidents/fatalities involve scooters. Like you say, nowhere near as many in China. Statistically speaking, of course. giggle.gif

I've spent about 6 months in China, all on public transport. And mostly in very rural areas. Most wasn't a big deal. The worst for traffic was Beijing. I remember during our stay in Hangzhou, I'd always carry an umbrella with me. Rain or shine. I'd pop it open at drivers trying to through us as we were crossing streets. They don't yield at all. Just honk.

edh69:

I hope you get to pull this off. Please do trip reports for us if you do. It will be an amazing trip.

no china now - just got the rates from one tour-operator - handling foreign self-driven-car-tour-groups...

as we are alone - no way...

here the original text...send PM, if you want to know what company...!

---

1. For vehicle CIQ deposit amount.

As I mentioned, each border will charge different amount of CIQ deposit, amount should be around 60%-120% of the clearance vehicle value. And if you enter from Mohan border, so far normally they require 50,000CNY each vehicle. this will be fully refund after your vehicle exit smoothly.

But if with present rules, you go with a guide, X will afford this part as one of our service conditions.

2. For your group price.

Here I can provide a reference price:

a. PART I: X service for paperwork/permit, CIQ process with CIQ deposit affording(the amount within 100,000CNY), license process for vehicle and riders, basic traffic insurance for vehicle, basic group travel insurance for guests, X form making, documents prepare and translation etc.

The price: 26,840CNY

For this part, I don’t’ think the new policy will change a lot, even they may simplify some process such as national permit applying, but it won’t cancel too much, we still need to do all the paper work as prepare all the documents and translate for border process, for license process etc. and the price also won’t cut too much.

So basically, I suggest we can almost ignore the changing effect on this part.

b. PART II: Tour guide, guide accommodation and meals etc.

The price: for 1 car, 2 guests, we normally supposed 640CNY for guide salary, accommodation and meals, if we supposed 25 days for your trip,

then price will bet: 640CNY*25D=16,000CNY

For this part, if the policy change and no guide requiring anymore:

-you don’t want to have guide anymore, we just cancel the related cost. And you need to pay the CIQ deposit on your own.

-if you still would accept the guide service and pay, X will still afford the CIQ deposit.

We will see how is the specific change if it really happen.

Hope all the information on above is clearly and satisfied.

---

yes - it is clearly...!

does anyone out there have better rates in this matter? found a link for example - chinese driving licence is about 100 us dollars - average wages in china are about 25 us dollars per day (365 days/year).

The simple answer is no.

Not true - I have seen Lao registered cars in China (they can enter freely up to a certain distance without requiring any permission) and even Thai vehicles on a tour (see the link below), all of them had only their normal local registration. If that were the case, it would be unfair if Chinese vehicles don't need to change their number plates but Lao/Thai ones do.

http://2g.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/topic/E12063316/E12063316.html

edh69:

no china now - just got the rates from one tour-operator - handling foreign self-driven-car-tour-groups...

as we are alone - no way...

here the original text...send PM, if you want to know what company...!

---

1. For vehicle CIQ deposit amount.

As I mentioned, each border will charge different amount of CIQ deposit, amount should be around 60%-120% of the clearance vehicle value. And if you enter from Mohan border, so far normally they require 50,000CNY each vehicle. this will be fully refund after your vehicle exit smoothly.

But if with present rules, you go with a guide, X will afford this part as one of our service conditions.

2. For your group price.

Here I can provide a reference price:

a. PART I: X service for paperwork/permit, CIQ process with CIQ deposit affording(the amount within 100,000CNY), license process for vehicle and riders, basic traffic insurance for vehicle, basic group travel insurance for guests, X form making, documents prepare and translation etc.

The price: 26,840CNY

For this part, I don’t’ think the new policy will change a lot, even they may simplify some process such as national permit applying, but it won’t cancel too much, we still need to do all the paper work as prepare all the documents and translate for border process, for license process etc. and the price also won’t cut too much.

So basically, I suggest we can almost ignore the changing effect on this part.

b. PART II: Tour guide, guide accommodation and meals etc.

The price: for 1 car, 2 guests, we normally supposed 640CNY for guide salary, accommodation and meals, if we supposed 25 days for your trip,

then price will bet: 640CNY*25D=16,000CNY

For this part, if the policy change and no guide requiring anymore:

-you don’t want to have guide anymore, we just cancel the related cost. And you need to pay the CIQ deposit on your own.

-if you still would accept the guide service and pay, X will still afford the CIQ deposit.

We will see how is the specific change if it really happen.

Hope all the information on above is clearly and satisfied.

---

yes - it is clearly...!

does anyone out there have better rates in this matter? found a link for example - chinese driving licence is about 100 us dollars - average wages in china are about 25 us dollars per day (365 days/year).

Since late 2014 it may be possible to go on a self-drive tour of China with your own car by yourself, no guide required. BUT according to the people who have done it, it still requires pre-approval, and someone to guide your entry into the country and to get your car checked in Mengla. After that, you can drive yourself throughout the country, except possibly Tibet, which most likely still requires a guide.

I have a Chinese driver's licence and no way it cost anything near 100 US dollars. I think it was more like 100 Yuan + 12 Yuan for the eyesight test and "physical". So like 18 US dollars.

In the link below, please go to the China section and there will be details about the people who have managed to go through China without a guide:

http://www.goannatracks.com/Home/Welcome.html

I am also hearing rumours that Thai cars may possibly be allowed freely into China in the near future. Also, if you do a search, you will probably find details of how Thai driver's licences are supposedly now recognized in China since this year.