Requirements on a marriage visa

At the moment my thoughts are hypothetical but would like some advice and correct info if possible.

I am 47 years old so do not qualify for retirement visa.

I came to LOS for holiday (30 day exempt) 2 years ago and last year. I came again in February this year and tried to stay in Thailand and make a go of things although my options were extemely slim to zero being 47 yo.

Not long after arriving I met a girl who I spent time with and we became quite close. I asked her if she knew of a way (legal) that I could stay and she said "Sure, marry me!!" I laughed it off but kept it in mind as a 'just in case'

I am back in UK now as I became ill and today I spent the day in UK hospital to find out I have DVT which has knocked me back a bit but not changed my mind about living in LOS.

So, my question is this . . .

IF i was to marry a Thai girl before I hit 50 (if I make it!!) what would I still need to do regarding doing border runs or visits to immigration?

Below is a copied and pasted explanation from Thaiembassy.com but because I have only travelled on a visa exempt or a TR visa, I am not too familiar with Non-immigration visa and then converting to marriage visa or how long I need to have Non-immigration before I can convert to marriage visa. Also it says I could stay for 1 year or not even have to leave the Kingdom at all? Could anyone enlighten me on this as I was under the impression that even if you were married, you still had to jump through a few hoops to remain in LOS like going to immigration with house books etc? Anyway . . . here is the explanation below

Marriage Visa and Retirement Visa

There is no direct application for this 2 visa types. But don’t worry its not going to be a complicated process, as long as you will meet the special financial requirements for the application. How to obtain a Marriage Visa in Thailand? You must simply be married to a Thai National. Otherwise, if you want a Retirement Visa in Thailand, you need to be 50 years old or above.

The process is as easy as 1 2 3. First step, you obtain a non-immigrant visa. Next, convert the non-immigrant visa to either Marriage Visa or Retirement Visa. These are the visa types that will allow you to stay in Thailand for the whole 1 year (renewable) without going to the border or not leaving the kingdom anymore at all.

If married to a Thai you can can get a non-o visa from an embassy or consulate. A single entry visa would give you 90 days of stay. A multiple entry non-o would give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai at an immigration office. You would need to show 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. With an extension you do not have to leave the country unless you wanted to. You would need an entry form a non-o visa to apply for the extension.

Don't rely on anything being correct on the website you mentioned. It is a commercial website done by a law firm.

• Like 1

If you were married you could obtain a single entry non O visa based on marriage which would provide a 90 day stay. During the last 30 days of that 90 days application for an "extension of stay based on marriage" could be made. You woulld need 400k Bht in a Thai bank or a monthly income of 40k Bht verified by a letter from your Emabassy to qualify.

Alternatively a mutiple entry non O visa, which gives 90 day entries for one year can be obtained without financial proof.

That information you have been reading almost certainly comes from a commercial site very few of which provide accurate, reliable detail.

Ask here if you require further information

Edited by nowretired
  • Like 1

Thank you for your replies. Just a couple of questions if I may?

I wont have a monthly income but can cover the 400.000baht in the account. Do I need to show where that money comes from (sale of house in Feb this year) and . . .

If I get the 1 year non O to stay for a year, do I stay on that visa and renew every year? Because when I hit 50, I will not be 'officially' retired with a pension income (monthly) so would I just stay on the marriage visa until I passed away or divorced?

Thanks again

You can continue making yearly trips to obtain a new multiple entry visa if you wish. Remember that with this type of visa you have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new permission to stay. Or, being able to show 400k in a Thai Bank for two months would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage The cost of the extension would be 1900Bht

and is renewable annually for as long as you can meet the requirements.

If you wish to apply for an extension based on retirement you would need,800k in the Bank, or, 65k/income,or a comination of money in the bank + income totaling 800k. Income has to be verified by a letter from your Embassy.

You can continue making yearly trips to obtain a new multiple entry visa if you wish. Remember that with this type of visa you have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new permission to stay. Or, being able to show 400k in a Thai Bank for two months would allow you to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage The cost of the extension would be 1900Bht

If you wish to apply for an extension based on retirement you would need,800k in the Bank, or, 65k/income,or a comination of money in the bank + income totaling 800k. Income has to be verified by a letter from your Embassy.

Would I only need a letter from my embassy to prove the 65k income, or do I need a letter to show where my 800k came from? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am learning new things as and when I need thumbsup.gif

Would I only need a letter from my embassy to prove the 65k income, or do I need a letter to show where my 800k came from? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am learning new things as and when I need thumbsup.gif

There is no need to demonstrate where the money came from if you enter the country with an "O" visa.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice. I need to get myself back in ship shape and weigh up my options. Being back in UK has not made me as miserable as I thought even though the 2 previous days before my flight back, and the sad feeling you get in the airport make you want to return before you leave!! That said, I know I want to live in LOS rather than UK but maybe I have to stay here and build up my funds and be realistic before I can finally make the move full time. Until then, maybe 60 days per year holiday is what I should be content with

• Like 1

Hi Newbie here. My husband is thai but US citizen also and we got married in US, so the only marriage certificate is from US. I'm chinese passport holder with US greencard. Now we are planning to live in thailand. so i'll need to apply for a non O visa. My question is what other documents are needed other then go to US embassy to get our marriage license notorized?

Hi Newbie here. My husband is thai but US citizen also and we got married in US, so the only marriage certificate is from US. I'm chinese passport holder with US greencard. Now we are planning to live in thailand. so i'll need to apply for a non O visa. My question is what other documents are needed other then go to US embassy to get our marriage license notorized?

If you are still in the states you should apply for a single entry non-o visa if you plan on applying for an extension of stay. You will not need a certification to get the visa,

Once here your husband will have to register your marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration will want.

Your husband can go the US embassy and do s self certification of the marriage certificate by doing an affidavit that it is true and correct. The embassy cannot do a certification of it. Then the affidavit and marriage certificate will have to be translated to Thai and the translations certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then he can do the registration.