Australian government undermines chances for gay marriage

webfact

Australian government undermines chances for gay marriage

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The Australian government has all but doomed legislation that would allow gay marriage by refusing to allow their lawmakers a free vote on the divisive issue.

Lawmakers in the ruling conservative coalition voted at a meeting late Tuesday night to compel members of the government to maintain the party line that marriage should only be lawful between a man and a woman.

Government lawmaker Warren Entsch plans to introduce a bill to Parliament on Monday that would allow same-sex marriage throughout Australia. But Enstch and other marriage equality advocates concede that that bill would now fail.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has extended an olive branch to marriage equality advocates, offering to allow the public to vote on gay marriage in a plebiscite if his government retains power in upcoming elections.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-12

Here are some reasons against gay marriages... ( not that I care one way or another)

Original author unknown.

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
  2. liberty_justice_gay_marriage.jpg?zoom=3&Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay – in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
  3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour. People may even wish to marry their pets, since a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
  4. Straight marriage has been around a long time, and it hasn’t changed at all. Women are still property, blacks can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
  5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage is allowed. The sanctity of unions like Britney Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  6. The only valid marriages are those which produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet – and the world clearly needs more children.
  7. Gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
  9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
  10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we haven’t adapted to things like cars or longer life spans.
  11. Civil unions (providing most of the same benefits as marriage, but with a different name) are better, because a “separate but equal” institution is always constitutional. Separate marriages for gays and lesbians will work just as well as separate schools for African-Americans did.
  12. Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

God created Adam and Eve , not Adam and Bloody steve

First of all no prove there is a God or he created adam and eve, I thought humans are created in another way ..Facts is some part of humans have the natural desire to live with same sex partners.

Suppose your story turned the other way and God created adam and steve ... can you image you have to live in a world where they forbid you to marry your wife now , and dislike you because you love her ?

Gay marriage exist now already more then 10 years and it never brought a problem, only happiness and love, so please build your opinion (or laws) on facts and personal experiences (any personal problem with a married gay couple ?) instead of push your idea to all other people based on 1 of the many fairy tails you believe in.

Or is the real reason just your intolerance like some people have to other races or religions...?

Let everyone live in peace please

Edited by Incobart

Here are some reasons against gay marriages... ( not that I care one way or another)

Original author unknown.

1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
  2. liberty_justice_gay_marriage.jpg?zoom=3&Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay – in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
  3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour. People may even wish to marry their pets, since a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
  4. Straight marriage has been around a long time, and it hasn’t changed at all. Women are still property, blacks can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
  5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage is allowed. The sanctity of unions like Britney Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  6. The only valid marriages are those which produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet – and the world clearly needs more children.
  7. Gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
  9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
  10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. We could never adapt to new social norms, just like we haven’t adapted to things like cars or longer life spans.
  11. Civil unions (providing most of the same benefits as marriage, but with a different name) are better, because a “separate but equal” institution is always constitutional. Separate marriages for gays and lesbians will work just as well as separate schools for African-Americans did.
  12. Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

In the case of the Aussies your point 3 is very close to the truth. I guess passing the legislation would not be only gratifying for Aussie gays but also Aussie sheep, camels, kangaroos, wombats, koalas...jeez in hindsight the list of Aussies loves are endless....

Marriage is such an antiquated institution.

If sociaties allow gay marriage , equal to men/women marriages , they should allow polygamy too , for both sexes.

Marriage is a legal binding contract , to (usually) pay less taxes and when it ends in devorce , a way to screw each other for the assests and alimony.

Marriage is such an antiquated institution.

If sociaties allow gay marriage , equal to men/women marriages , they should allow polygamy too , for both sexes.

Marriage is a legal binding contract , to (usually) pay less taxes and when it ends in devorce , a way to screw each other for the assests and alimony.

I don't follow the logic of your "if, then should", but OK.....why not?

I support gay marriage, but do not understand why they want to give up such a perfect excuse. "But Honey, you know I would marry you if I could but the law won't allow it".

Remember, when anyone dies mysteriously, the police automatically suspect the spouse first. This should tell you all you need to know about marriage.

God created Adam and Eve

If you hadn't noticed, it still does and still will..... so worry not.

...not Adam and Bloody steve

If you hadn't noticed, it appears to creates Adam and Steve too.

Your assertion that God did not create Adam and Steve, contradicts evidence.

God created Adam and Eve, who sometimes have offspring called Adam, who loves Steve.

Are you suggesting God's biological work is meddled with in the womb by....Satan?

The Lord doth worketh in mysterious ways!!

I have the feeling I am not allowed to be against gay marriages.

I suggest your feeling is incorrect. You are free to dislike Gay marriage,

People misusing power or connections with power to make Gay life hellish is another thing and what is not allowed now in workplaces, along with attempting to bar their access to social entitlements and expression etc.

Especially when Gay marriage doesn't affect its critics in the slightest, these protections are a good development. (If) Gay marriage was profoundly affecting straight couples in some way, more active opposition would be understandable. As it doesn't (from what I can ascertain) then yes there are more important isssues to be objecting about. Let them have it, indeed. Infact, the wording of that implies they were 'granted' it by a benevolent straight elite, when in reality Gay folks fought 'long and hard' (wink) against a brick wall that was unwilling to understand things until now.

I thought it was only the USA that was backwards and that everyone else had already approved gay marriage.

With the backward prick running OZ, the first thing he did when elected was reinstate Knighthoods from good ol England and being a staunch RC what can you say.

I have the feeling I am not allowed to be against gay marriages.

I suggest your feeling is incorrect. You are free to dislike Gay marriage,

People misusing power or connections with power to make Gay life hellish is another thing and what is not allowed now in workplaces, along with attempting to bar their access to social entitlements and expression etc.

Especially when Gay marriage doesn't affect its critics in the slightest, these protections are a good development. (If) Gay marriage was profoundly affecting straight couples in some way, more active opposition would be understandable. As it doesn't (from what I can ascertain) then yes there are more important isssues to be objecting about. Let them have it, indeed. Infact, the wording of that implies they were 'granted' it by a benevolent straight elite, when in reality Gay folks fought 'long and hard' (wink) against a brick wall that was unwilling to understand things until now.

You suggest my "feeling" is incorrect ??

Lawmakers in the ruling conservative coalition voted at a meeting late Tuesday night to compel members of the government to maintain the party line

I find it very strange to take away the right of a MP to vote according to his own wishes.

This is not surprising , what they forgot to mention he invited the coalition partner, the nationals to the talk feast ( the farmers friend , very conservative ) and I wouldn't believe a word about a referendum, the prick has done more back flips that a gymnast at the Olympics, he will at the next elections promise this and will go on about how they are the right people to act on terrorism these 2 together would bring all the gullible voters to his side, as we know the one's that look after security is the good professional people entrusted with this task and are there long after this Prime Minister will be and lets not forget that 1 term Tony's is a staunch RC and he's sister is in a lesbian relationship , nothing like bring Sis around for Sunday lunch after being at the RC church all morning . coffee1.gif

A world of equal opportunity & equal rights (supposedly).

The few gays that I was acquainted with were well educated; self-sufficient; good jobs & certainly not child molesters.

Certain sectors get preferential treatment.

They have a RIGHT to equality in all aspects of life in Oz.

It's not so much about gay marriage...that will come in the next year or two...but positioning prior to the next election. Abbott does not want to offend his conservative voters. It's a delay rather than a defeat.

Lawmakers in the ruling conservative coalition voted at a meeting late Tuesday night to compel members of the government to maintain the party line

I find it very strange to take away the right of a MP to vote according to his own wishes.

That is the norm, not the exception in oz politics. The members must vote along party lines unless specifically allowed a 'conscience' vote.

Apparently they arent smart enough or trusted to have their own opinion.

Abbott - super gutless!

Gayness does not seem to be a vote catcher.

It's not. Unless Aussies are different to the rest of the world, homosexuals are only 10 % of the population. Whatever they might say to a pollster, in the privacy of their homes, most non homosexuals either don't care or are against homosexual marriage.

The Muslims of Australia, with a minute exception are anti, as well as most fundamentalist Christians ( though I have no idea as to how many Aussies fall into that category ).

The success of the homosexual movement has been in pursuading the population that most people care when they don't.

BTW, I don't care at all. Far as I'm concerned marriage in a western country is a rotten institution and the sooner it is abolished the better. Homosexuals are welcome to the whole stupid pile of garbage. The divorce scum lawyers will be rubbing their hands and hoping for a change in the law.