Vanguard vs Schwab

Thanks for the information on teamviewer.com

I will try that when I can make all the necessary arrangements.

I have tried different browsers,PC's and operating systems(Windows7, 10)

The normal log on to Vanguard by skatewash is interesting.

Apparently it is not a total blockage of non US access.

I will try to discuss that with Vanguard customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's possible to money-link funds from Schwab through the Bangkok Bank NY to an account in Thailand online. Has anyone done the same thing through Vanguard?

While in the US, I set up my Vanguard account to allow on-line transfers from Vanguard to my Udon Bangkok Bank account (through NY). No paperwork involved. Vanguard made two micro-deposits to the account. I was able to call the Bangkok Bank in Bangkok to find out the amount of the micro-deposits.....entered that info on Vanguard's website (my account).....and all was set up. I later transferred a few k to that account....completely online. Called Bangkok Bank in BKK a few days later to verify the transaction went through. No problems.

Tried to log into my Vanguard account from Thailand without using a VPN. Was unsuccessful on two tries, getting a user id/password mismatch error. Turned on my VPN, set country to US, and was able to log into my Vanguard account. I've never had problems accessing my account from Thailand without using a VPN before. I use a password manager (Dashlane, which is free) so I'm skeptical that there was a problem with my user id or password. Especially as Dashlane is used whether or not I am using a VPN. In other words, I don't enter my user id or password, Dashlane does, so hard to see how there could have been a problem the first two times and success on the third time. Therefore, I'll be using a VPN from now on to access my Vanguard account from Thailand.

Edited by skatewash

As I've already posted, today I was unsuccessful logging onto Vanguard from Thailand without using a VPN. I was, however, successful when using a VPN. This has never happened to me before. Thought I should respond to your post directly since my experience today was very different from what has happened in the past. It was reporting a user id/password mismatch on my first two unsuccessful attempts, which I am very skeptical about since I use the Dashlane password manager and don't ever actually enter my user id or password when logging on to my account, since Dashlane does that for me.

Edited by skatewash

As I've already posted, today I was unsuccessful logging onto Vanguard from Thailand without using a VPN. I was, however, successful when using a VPN. This has never happened to me before. Thought I should respond to your post directly since my experience today was very different from what has happened in the past. It was reporting a user id/password mismatch on my first two unsuccessful attempts, which I am very skeptical about since I use the Dashlane password manager and don't ever actually enter my user id or password when logging on to my account, since Dashlane does that for me.

It's a must to use a VPN and to make sure that you don't have DNS leaks if you are using US financial institutions. Even if they aren't blocking you now, they might put limits on your accounts in the future if they deduce that you are living abroad.

It's a must to use a VPN and to make sure that you don't have DNS leaks if you are using US financial institutions. Even if they aren't blocking you now, they might put limits on your accounts in the future if they deduce that you are living abroad.

Thanks, suzannegoh, for the tip about DNS leaks. I tried https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ and my VPN seemed to be OK.

Thanks, suzannegoh, for the tip about DNS leaks. I tried https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ and my VPN seemed to be OK.

If you should happen to switch to Windows 10 you might want to check it again because MS overhauled it's DNS lookup system for Win10 and by default it is not completely secure. But that's a bit off topic -- there have been threads in TV's "Computers" forum where this subject has been explored in detail.

If you should happen to switch to Windows 10 you might want to check it again because MS overhauled it's DNS lookup system for Win10 and by default it is not completely secure. But that's a bit off topic -- there have been threads in TV's "Computers" forum where this subject has been explored in detail.

This was on Windows 10, but thanks for the heads up!

This was on Windows 10, but thanks for the heads up!

Since I'm being a computer geek today, you might also want to test your VPN connection with this web page: https://ipleak.net . In addition to DNS leaks, that web page also detects WebRTC leaks (which are caused by certain browsers) and gives instructions about how to fix that problem if it exists on your system.