New Q Regarding Partner Visa To Australia

Hi there,

*Firstly Ive got a Q regarding Stat. declarations.

Along with the stat declaration my friend wrote for us, he sent a copy of his birth certificate as required, however Im confused as to what a 'certified copy' of this entails.

Ive looked in the information booklets online but have not found clear answers.

The birth cert was certified at his birth. Is this sufficient enough or does he need to have it certified by a Justice of the peace AFTER he has made a copy of it??

*Also Im looking for advice on Types of Visas for Aust.

For the past few months my boyfriend(fiancee) and I have been planning and preparing documents for our fiancee visa application. However over the past few weeks we have weighed out our options and decided that we may marry in Thailand as opposed to Australia, bringing the marriage forward 5 - 6 months.

If we take these steps we will then apply for a spouse visa. Our main worry with this, it that if we marry within the next month and then apply for the spouse visa shortly after, the Imm. Dept will see it as a rushed marriage (in order to get a visa), which may negatively influence our visa case.

We have been together 3 years, lived tog. 1 1/2 years, and been engaged for just on a year, and while we may bring the marriage forward substantially, it is not going to be a spontanious and rushed marriage.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Has anyone applied for a spouse visa shortly after marrying their partner?

Were you questioned about the marriage?

Any opinions/ help welome

Thanks.

T

Hi there,

*Firstly Ive got a Q regarding Stat. declarations.

Along with the stat declaration my friend wrote for us, he sent a copy of his birth certificate as required, however Im confused as to what a 'certified copy' of this entails.

Ive looked in the information booklets online but have not found clear answers.

The birth cert was certified at his birth. Is this sufficient enough or does he need to have it certified by a Justice of the peace AFTER he has made a copy of it??

*Also Im looking for advice on Types of Visas for Aust.

For the past few months my boyfriend(fiancee) and I have been planning and preparing documents for our fiancee visa application. However over the past few weeks we have weighed out our options and decided that we may marry in Thailand as opposed to Australia, bringing the marriage forward 5 - 6 months.

If we take these steps we will then apply for a spouse visa. Our main worry with this, it that if we marry within the next month and then apply for the spouse visa shortly after, the Imm. Dept will see it as a rushed marriage (in order to get a visa), which may negatively influence our visa case.

We have been together 3 years, lived tog. 1 1/2 years, and been engaged for just on a year, and while we may bring the marriage forward substantially, it is not going to be a spontanious and rushed marriage.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Has anyone applied for a spouse visa shortly after marrying their partner?

Were you questioned about the marriage?

Any opinions/ help welome

Thanks.

T

A certified copy is a copy of a document certified by, for instance a JP or a Magistrate or any other qualified official. You take the original and the copy to the person so that they can see it a true copy and then they stamp and sign it as such. The birth certificate copy will need to be certified.

As long as you can prove the length of the relationship and the genuinity of the relationship then it doesnt matter when you marry....If you look at the website it will tell that if you apply for a fiancee visa and after applying you get married...you are to inform the Embassy so that the application can be changed to a Spouse visa application.....both visas use the same form. Be aware that for the spouse visa, the marriage certificate is not considered proof....it needs to be the extract from the Goverment Department that handles the keeping of records of Births, Deaths and Marrriages.

Edited by gburns57au

See also Requirements for certifying documents - agent FAQS

Within Australia, documents must be certified by people before whom a statutory declaration can be made. See: Schedule 2, Statutory Declarations Regulations 1993

Outside Australia, documents may be certified as being true copies of originals by people or agencies recognised by the law of the person's home country.

If you look at the website it will tell that if you apply for a fiancee visa and after applying you get married...you are to inform the Embassy so that the application can be changed to a Spouse visa application.....both visas use the same form.

I did read this on the website at some point.

Thanks for re-pointing me in that direction.

it needs to be the extract from the Goverment Department that handles the keeping of records of Births, Deaths and Marrriages

Will the department give me the true document or a copy of this??

Thanks for your time..

To make a certified copy of documents here in Thailand , Im in Bangkok. Is there anywhere other than at Aust embassy, consulate I can get documents certified??

The Embassy charges are quite high - as I need to have many documents certified..

??

Thanks

...As long as you can prove the length of the relationship and the genuinity of the relationship then it doesnt matter when you marry.......

Very true. Photo's, joint accounts, joint rental bills etc etc is very important.

I have all that as Mrs Khutan spends plenty on the joint credit card :o

To make a certified copy of documents here in Thailand , Im in Bangkok. Is there anywhere other than at Aust embassy, consulate I can get documents certified??

The Embassy charges are quite high - as I need to have many documents certified..

??

Thanks

Something I am not sure of.....Most people seem to use the embassy and I agree it is bloody highway robbery what they charge per document...Perhaps your fella can find out for you...If you were outside of Bangkok then the local Amphur office is an option. Please let us know how you get on with that.

If you look at the website it will tell that if you apply for a fiancee visa and after applying you get married...you are to inform the Embassy so that the application can be changed to a Spouse visa application.....both visas use the same form.

I did read this on the website at some point.

Thanks for re-pointing me in that direction.

it needs to be the extract from the Goverment Department that handles the keeping of records of Births, Deaths and Marrriages

Will the department give me the true document or a copy of this??

Thanks for your time..

it would be an extract...therefore you may be able to get someone there to certify it or ask for a certified extract.