Stephen Lewis, On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88

webfact

Stephen Lewis, On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88

LONDON: -- Actor Stephen Lewis, best known for his role as officious inspector "Blakey" in the 1970s ITV sitcom On the Buses, has died aged 88, his family has announced.

Lewis also played "Smiler" in the BBC's Last of the Summer Wine.

Born in east London in 1926, he got his start at the Theatre Royal Stratford East under Joan Littlewood.

According to his family, the actor died "quite peacefully" in a nursing home in Wanstead, east London, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33914037

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-14

A truly POM comedian representing the best of good days of British sitcoms when a comedy was a comedy

and actors were down to earth people unlike the divas and stuck ups of today,

down to earth people.....

Watched On the Buses regularly in my youth, they all were a great cast. RIP.

I am not a Brit but they were a world wide sensation. They did not have to shed their clothes to make me laugh. Now days when I shed my clothes I laugh. Humor was a real challenge back in those days. I think I still have some of their episodes on file. To honor Blakey I must get one out and play it. A toast to you Blakey keep em happy in heaven. In your case it will rolling in the aisles. I also have all 46 episodes of "Waiting for God" (which includes most of the old farts here) and have watched them all 46 about 3 times another great English series. Another good English series still in the filming process I think season 7 is "Doc Martin" I have all 6 seasons. The Canadian series "Murdoch Mysteries" is another great series still filming I think season 9 now.