Not Clear On The Marriage Visa.

I am married to a Thai National but am presently working (finishing a contract) in China. I am finished the contract in February 2007 and was planning on returning to Thailand to live with my wife. What type of visa am I to apply for and what are the particulars about it. How long is the visa for, can it be extended, how much is the visa, etc...

I am originally from Canada and would like nothing better than to live permanently with my wife in Thailand. What steps do I have to

take?

Thank you

Edited by kel57

I am married to a Thai National but am presently working (finishing a contract) in China. I am finished the contract in February 2007 and was planning on returning to Thailand to live with my wife. What type of visa am I to apply for and what are the particulars about it. How long is the visa for, can it be extended, how much is the visa, etc...

I am originally from Canada and would like nothing better than to live permanently with my wife in Thailand. What steps do I have to

take?

Thank you

before you come back to thailand,get a non immigrant o visa by showing your marriage certificate

to the nearest thai embassy /consul,even if you only get a tourist visa you can still upgrade to a non immigrant visa within thailand as long has you have 21 days left on your tourist visa.

go with the wife to thai immigration and apply for a one year marriage visa ,you must have a letter from your bank stateing you have over 400,ooo baht in your account plus photo copies of your passport,wifes id card,tabien bann. etc.

when you get your one year visa,if you want to go out of the country you must get a re-entry visa that covers you while you are out the country

easy

take?

Thank you

before you come back to thailand,get a non immigrant o visa by showing your marriage certificate

to the nearest thai embassy /consul,even if you only get a tourist visa you can still upgrade to a non immigrant visa within thailand as long has you have 21 days left on your tourist visa.

go with the wife to thai immigration and apply for a one year marriage visa ,you must have a letter from your bank stateing you have over 400,ooo baht in your account plus photo copies of your passport,wifes id card,tabien bann. etc.

when you get your one year visa,if you want to go out of the country you must get a re-entry visa that covers you while you are out the country

easy

Thanks for the quick response. Just a couple of other things.

First, I am not supporting my wife and there is no other reference that I have been able to find about a O Visa or any other that is just for people who want to live in Thailand with their Thai spouse but not supporting financially.

Second, is there any other way around the

400,000 baht in your account
thing?

Thanks for the help

If you are not supporting your wife or have other reasons for an extension of stay you can not live in Thailand without leaving often. Marriage does not override visa and extension of stay rules.

As you outline, no money, no support, and unless your wife is very well to do: a non immigrant O visa allowing a 90 day stay it may be the best you will be able to obtain in the immediate area. In your home country it may be that you could obtain the multi entry version valid for a year at a time. But even with that you have to leave the country every 90 days. Although it is available in places such as KL and Singapore currently the future, without financial proof, does not look promising.

For soap: yes, you most surly have to prove support, even if it is not required - as that is the basis of a support Thai wife extension of stay.