Comfort for two on a CRF

AllanB

The Honda CRF250 has a lot to offer for a taller rider and the soft, long travel suspension works well on bumpy roads, but seating is not a strong point for long distance trips, especially for two.

Has anyone addressed this problem, especially for a passenger, or is it impractical?

Quite a few people are using this bike for expeditions, so it must be quite tough and reliable, plus the price is okay for me.

As you say it's not really designed for two people,those riding pillion will soon encounter a sore behind and aching legs due to the positioning of the rear foot pegs.

It's a great bike mind but I use mine solely for off-roading single occupancy.

As you say it's not really designed for two people,those riding pillion will soon encounter a sore behind and aching legs due to the positioning of the rear foot pegs.

555 you still have my bike then.

Forget the crf for 2 upp done 70 km once never again .I have never known any one talk so much about getting a bike but not actually buying y one ,just stick to scooters mate you don't seem cut out for bikes.

555 you still have my bike then.

Forget the crf for 2 upp done 70 km once never again .I have never known any one talk so much about getting a bike but not actually buying y one ,just stick to scooters mate you don't seem cut out for bikes.

You are not wrong, problem is there are so few bikes to choose from in Thailand and all the Jap bikes are of the same style. Namely sports bikes, the CB's are have a slightly more upright riding position, but still you have your feet swept back.

I really don't find these cramped positions comfortable at all, they are built for smaller people and that doesn't help for my arthritic knee/s. I prefer the chopper style and that puts me either in the Chinese (designed) camp, or on an older bike, which I have already, or a Harley which I can't afford, along with the Triumphs.

If I could make my NV400 totally reliable I would fit extra cruising pegs and keep that.

I am not being awkward, but with age a osteoarthritis, my needs are different to most of you guys, but I won't give up biking no matter what, I have a long list of trips to do. But not on a CRF it seems and certainly not on a bloody scooter.

There are 2 CRF 250 models....

The "L" has knobly tyres, taller seat height, harder suspension and bigger wheels

and

The "M" which has road tyres, lower seat height, softer suspension and smaller "super moto" wheels...

If you are looking at doing most of your riding on the roads and want to carry a passenger - then the "M" model is a wise choice....

And because of it's "dirt bike DNA" its very capable of dealing with the pot hole invested roads and dirt tracks over here, far better than a typical road bike.

One thing you will need to do though is to change / modify the seat - its way too hard and too narrow....

Seat concepts do a really comfy / wider seat, which i have fitter to mine and its a delight:

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products#!/Honda-CRF250L-2012-15/p/15889818

Althernatively i'm sure a local seat shop could do something along these lines too...

post-95864-0-20822300-1439645664_thumb.j

the cheapest most comfortable bike for touring 2 up is gonna be a versys, these are cheap 2nd hand and reliable as you like ,failing that any thing else 250,300 weather it be honda bennelli, lifan etc aint gonna be perfect but you will get by ,just buy any bike use it for a couple of months if you don't like it sell it,its really not difficult.i bought a new crf without even ever seeing or riding one.

why you are even thinking of an off road play bike for 2 up touring i don't know ,stop dreaming about bikes you want and go and buy one.

Edited by taninthai

the cheapest most comfortable bike for touring 2 up is gonna be a versys, these are cheap 2nd hand and reliable as you like ,failing that any thing else 250,300 weather it be honda bennelli, lifan etc aint gonna be perfect but you will get by ,just buy any bike use it for a couple of months if you don't like it sell it,its really not difficult.i bought a new crf without even ever seeing or riding one.

why you are even thinking of an off road play bike for 2 up touring i don't know ,stop dreaming about bikes you want and go and buy one.

Versys, never considered that, 216kg is on my limit and not so good around town, but seen one with luggage and looks good for touring. Saw a really nice one for 170k baht, so, as you say good SH prices. Will take a look when I get back.

Remember sitting on one last year in a dealership, dismissed it cause of the price, thinking Honda CB300 at130k baht at the time.

Steve , have you been over filling your tiers with helium again ? . Papa , have you looked ( on-line , if no dealer nearby ) at the Ruyka RX 3 , a modern 250cc liquid cooled , fuel injected dual sport bike , that comes with full "hard" luggage as standard . I think its priced about 150 K .

Versys is a good suggestion, also take a look at the CB500X if you want something a little smaller/cheaper.

The CB 500 X.... a nice in between really set for the road, but if you want to try the village dirt roads, you will be fine..

On the pegs.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve , have you been over filling your tiers with helium again ? . Papa , have you looked ( on-line , if no dealer nearby ) at the Ruyka RX 3 , a modern 250cc liquid cooled , fuel injected dual sport bike , that comes with full "hard" luggage as standard . I think its priced about 150 K .

I think you are the one who's been on the helium if you think a ryuka is better or even closer to equal than a kawasaki versys or a honda CB500x lol