Not married, tourist visa, opening a joint bank account

So here's the situation:

We've been together for 7 years. We finally decided to get married. I'm currently on a tourist visa while some work issues get sorted out - but I have a solid income (200k/month). We decided we're going to start saving for the wedding(s), but we plan to do the government side of things first.

Question is, can we open a joint bank account before my tourist visa is changed back to a business visa? We'd rather not wait for the business visa/work permit or marriage on paper side of things.

I opened an account here in Bangkok at SCB around 10 years ago, before I moved here 4 years ago. The account was in both my and girlfriends names. She was able to deposit in the account as was I, but to withdrawal from the account required both of our signatures. They would not let me open an account in my name only at that time since I did not have a in country address. When I moved here I took her name off the account and now it is mine only. They have tightened up somewhat lately and I think you would need a work permit, Thai drivers license or a certificate of residence showing where you live. The residence certificate can be obtain at your embassy or at the Immigration office you do your 90 day report to. If you have not done a 90 day report then you would have to get it at your embassy. At least that is the way it is presently at the Bangkok Bank in Lumpini because I overheard someone from another country trying to open an account a couple of weeks ago. Please note that the gentleman that was having a hard time opening an account at the Bangkok Bank recently was a single account, so this might not apply if you have a joint account with your girlfriend like I did 10 years ago.

Edited by BobTH

Dont open a joint acct

Can lead to problems

If you do keep minimum amount in the account

Protect yourself

thanks for the advice Frank. well aware. but we've been together for a long, long time. she has a good job, a car, our parents know each other, etc. etc. so no worries for us.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with joint account either as the right pain in many aspects, far far better with one account each with same bank & then you can transfer etc to each other if needed without any charges. you can still get bank accounts on tourist but certainly not as easy as was in past ...

Edited by BuckBee