Who is into Thai stock exchange?

I won't be investing in the Thai stock market in spite of what some say here !!

Many years ago I considered it and paid an astute analyst to examine the market here............... he had no financial gain to answer either yes or no.

His report was that activities were not "transparent" & that many company officer's future profit projections were often seen through "rose colored glasses" ....it was and still is too great a

risk for me with returns not commensurate with such a big risk.

I have continued to invest across the globe but predominately in the US & have made good money even with all the bumps in the road including the GFC. If your stock selection is wise

then problems are minimized & profits maximized. Warren B is still doing well & I've yet to hear him even mention the word Thailand ~ where the SET is down about 14% in 2015, rice

production for next year is expected to fall to 25 million tonnes from 32 million tonnes & tourism will continue to hurt badly.

My investing strategy has proved successful. Thailand ?...include me out.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago I considered it and paid an astute analyst to examine the market here............... he had no financial gain to answer either yes or no.

His report was that activities were not "transparent" & that many company officer's future profit projections were often seen through "rose colored glasses" ....it was and still is too great a

It seems that your Advisor/ astute analyst makes an great Job. As an Stock Trader here at the Local Market for many Years i can only agree. Many Companies give misleading Statements or not warn Investors if Projects goes wrong , they are involved in Big Insider Trading (CPALL) (SSI) and dilute Shareholders by Massive Capital Increases or Private Placements to "Family and Friends" sometimes 50-90% below last Trading Price .. Every single Trading day they are more then 20-30 Companies suspended from Trading (sometimes for Months ) as they are not able to deliver the latest Financial Reports or can get the Signature of a certified Accountant. Thai Companies are not very Shareholder Friendly for minority Shareholders and most of Companies use an High Share Price to "cash in" rather then to create some Value.

All these have rarely consequences for the involved Persons and if so the Fines are ridiculousy small. THE SEC is perfectly "Thai Style" you even not get an answer for Complaints..

If someone want to cash in the Big up and down Movements of the SET the ETF "TDEX" or some of the BIG,BIG Caps like PTT/BBL are an good start for the experienced investor with an High Risk Tolerance Level..

Edited by tangerinehouse

Sell everything! 2016 will be a 'cataclysmic year,' warns RBSfacepalm.gif

That harrowing advice is from The Royal Bank of Scotland, which has warned of a "cataclysmic year" ahead for markets and advised clients to head for the exit. Do not wait. Do not pass go."Sell everything except high quality bonds," warned Andrew Roberts in a note this week.

He said the bank's red flags for 2016 -- falling oil, volatility in China, shrinking world trade, rising debt, weak corporate loans and deflation -- had all been seen in just the first week of trading.

"We think investors should be afraid," he said.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investing/markets-sell-everything-cataclysmic-year-rbs/

probably applicable to Thai stocks ( which I don't own ) after the scary Thai Board of Investment announcement ~ however I'll continue to stay in the US market thank you.

weren't RBS the same " experts " who narrowly avoided going down the toilet in 2009 with enormous losses.

I doubt many will follow their prediction that the financial sky is falling in.

probably applicable to Thai stocks ( which I don't own ) after the scary Thai Board of Investment announcement ~ however I'll continue to stay in the US market thank you.

weren't RBS the same " experts " who narrowly avoided going down the toilet in 2009 with enormous losses.

I doubt many will follow their prediction that the financial sky is falling in.

Well with the DJ losing 1500 points in 10 days anyone prepared to stay in the US stock market in the face of such a dreadful fundamental outlook is certainly braver than me.unsure.png

yes RBS was narrowly saved by the actions of Gordon Brown’s government. His special adviser at that time Damian McBride said this was only achieved because they had the financial levers available such as cutting interest rates and quantitative easing but he now points out those tools are no longer available.

He attributes this turmoil to the instability of the Chinese financial system and predicts this financial crisis coming will be 20 times worse than the one in 2008.ohmy.png

And when you say you doubt many will follow RBS’s predictions as if they are a lone wolf I don’t think that’s quite right because here below is a list of eight people who in fact started ringing the alarm bells even last year. the so-called recovery they claimed to have achieved after 2008 was nothing more than a house of cards.

And never mind the Royal Bank Of Scotland Egon von Greyerz founder and Managing Partner of Matterhorn Asset Management is even harsher with his warning

" We will see twin $200 trillion debt and $1.5 quadrillion derivatives implosions. That will lead to the most historic wealth destruction ever in global stock, with bond and property markets declining at least 75 – 95 percent. World trade will also contract dramatically and we will see massive hardship across the globe."

http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2015/08/8-financial-experts-that-are-warning-that-a-great-financial-crisis-is-imminent/

Edited by Asiantravel

His report was that activities were not "transparent" & that many company officer's future profit projections were often seen through "rose colored glasses" ....

Warren B is still doing well & I've yet to hear him even mention the word Thailand ~ where the SET is down about 14% in 2015, rice

production for next year is expected to fall to 25 million tonnes from 32 million tonnes & tourism will continue to hurt badly.

My investing strategy has proved successful. Thailand ?...include me out.

I'm also not bullish on Thailand right now, but some of the things you noted aren't unique to Thailand such as business activities not being transparent. Most emerging markets have issues of poor governance and transparency- that's part of the risk associated with getting into a developing market that also has big upside potential.

Commodities including agriculture have taken a hit globally (eg. http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=rice&months=60) . With prices falling so low farmers in Thailand have switched to more profitable crops like corn.

Food as a whole is a bright spot in the Thai economy. There's a food fair each year at Meung Thong Thani and it's worth going to if you're interested in the market. It's the place to be for regional companies looking to export, and everyone including Chinese fly to Thailand to meet buyers here. I even saw VC-funded food companies last year exhibiting there.

You mentioned tourism continuing to hurt badly. Arrivals were up again last year despite cancellations after the bombing. In fact Suvarnabhumi is reaching the point where it gets absolutely swamped during peak arrival times. Massive queues at immigration and up to an hour long line to get a taxi.

As a whole Thailand is definitely missing out against investment in Vietnam and other attractive emerging markets. I think the market is somewhat overvalued given the current climate and looming risk. But it's not total gloom and doom.

Anyone here trade CFD's I tend to just trade crude oil here in the U.K but I do have the glimmer of hope that one day I could make it in to a full time job which would allow me to travel more.

The " Classic CFD s" as you know them from Europe or the U.k. they not traded here. But there is an Future Market for the SET 50 Index and as well for Oil and Gold. As far as i know ,from an Friend who work for an Broker, they are created to loose.. You are much better with your CFD Broker in the U.K..

After all the Thai Market is volatile enough so as i am an Trader here and make it for my living here i dont need more Excitement with the even more dangerous Futures... smile.png As i said before for Traders the Market here is great as they are always some Stocks that swings around, even in an exrteme Bear Market. For Investments you better stay away from Thailand and use the Regulated Markets.

Anyone here trade CFD's I tend to just trade crude oil here in the U.K but I do have the glimmer of hope that one day I could make it in to a full time job which would allow me to travel more.

The " Classic CFD s" as you know them from Europe or the U.k. they not traded here. But there is an Future Market for the SET 50 Index and as well for Oil and Gold. As far as i know ,from an Friend who work for an Broker, they are created to loose.. You are much better with your CFD Broker in the U.K..

After all the Thai Market is volatile enough so as i am an Trader here and make it for my living here i dont need more Excitement with the even more dangerous Futures... smile.png As i said before for Traders the Market here is great as they are always some Stocks that swings around, even in an exrteme Bear Market. For Investments you better stay away from Thailand and use the Regulated Markets.

That's a very strange comment from your friend, particularly if they work in a brokers. Then again the average understanding of futures and options is lower in Thailand than UK, including brokers, as it's a relatively new market - around less than a decade

The very fact that the understanding here is lower here is actually to your advantage. If you looked at the stats for TFEX trading last week, around 60% of futures and options trades were local investors, 30% local institutions and 10% foreign.

Plus if you think 60% is retail, and the 30% institutional include people like your friend, TFEX is actually a very nice market to make money in if you understand what you're doing. If you know what you're doing, TFEX here can be a very nice market.

if you trade crude oil (futs) profitably which is probably not the case you could trade almost everything and everywhere else as well. CFDs are much more of a scam than NYMEX and all it's products.

• 5 weeks later...

Are there any good Thai stocks with growth potential? Using the siamstock filter in this thread, setting ROE > 20 and P/B < 2, I found some stocks. THIP looks ok. Any comments?

http://www.set.or.th/set/companyhighlight.do?symbol=THIP&ssoPageId=5&language=en&country=US

As a long term investor, I take a different approach to choosing stocks that's purely looking at ROE and p/b or P/E ratios. First I choose the sectors that I think have strong growth potential and then I look at which companies are well positioned to be amongst the leaders in that sector. I.e. I like the health/hospital sector in Thailand and I think BDMS will do well in this segment. Or say amongst pharmaceutical companies, I like those that are well positioned in oncology, so I bought some stocks from companies in this sector.

Hope this helps..

Hi. What source of news do you use to invest or trade on the SET ?

- There is of course the official companies' notifications on SET.or.th: News Today or Settrade (same)

- There are a few websites that regroups news for Financial sites and brookers, like KaoHoon (thai)

But I don't know any significative place where people can comment/discuss about these news, like a forum or FB site ?

@ Pattaya 46 At www. Thai capitalist.com you can find good and useful Information. This Guy knows the market well and give good Information. Sadly there are not much good Sites about the Thai Stock Market. There is one Guy here who run an paid Website, but he was fully Invested in the latest Bear Market Run to 1220 so he loose his Shirt, but he still believe that he is the Best. Not unusual for this "Market Letters" to cheer the Profits and forget the Losses. It is hard work in Thailand for an Foreigner to find the right Information. The Thai Market have nice Swings that are worth to Trade...

Some weeks ago at 1220 i post here that it is worth to take some Position in the Set.. it was good luck as it was near the Low. I still think that we are in an Bigger Bear Market but from this 1220/1250 level we see maybe an bigger Run to around 1400.+/-

As the General spend big amounts of Money for short-term pseudo-prosperity, backed
primarily by the Construction Sector it make sense to take some Short Term Position.
At the first Round they push up the Big Caps like PTT,TOP, BBL etc. now maybe it make sense to look at the 2end Row..
And buy Stocks like: CRANE (2.38)(very speculative, but have often very good Runs ) ITD (6.55) CNT (3.08) THRE (2.84 ) TTCL (16.80) or UEC(2.80). Just my Ideas , make your own Decisions. But as i trade many Years at this Market i think they look ready to Jump. The most Important Lesson is in Thai market is SELL if there is an Profit. This Market now is for Trading ...

// And buy Stocks like: CRANE (2.38)(very speculative, but have often very good Runs ) //

Humm... CRANE just published its result for the fiscal year: http://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do?newsId=14563534505520&language=en&country=US

Net profit:

- 2014 : 239 millions baht

- 2015 : -45 millions baht (lost!)

// And buy Stocks like: CRANE (2.38)(very speculative, but have often very good Runs ) //

Humm... CRANE just published its result for the fiscal year: http://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do?newsId=14563534505520&language=en&country=US

Net profit:

- 2014 : 239 millions baht

- 2015 : -45 millions baht (lost!)

As i said before it is an speclulative One. But as the Stock correct around 50 % already in the last 4 Month it is possible that the "bad News" are priced in. So, if we go down an bit more on that News i expect that it can be an good chance for the speclulative Trader.

Dont forget that many of this small or Mid Caps dont have an professionell Management, mostly they have compare to Western Standards an Lousy Management ,so the Earnings swing often wild around without Guidance from the Company itself. Many Times they Increase the Capital by 100 %! of the outstanding Stocks,and diluting the Shareholders massive, private Placements to Family Members,Insider Trading etc.. so be warned :) But as i mention before the swings are great for Traders. I still think that some of this "wild" Small and Mid Caps are worth to buy now... As always on the SET Market make an an S/L that pretend you from bigger losses if something in this Country goes wrong...

Edited by tangerinehouse

Trading via internet without brokers does not exist.

My broker is Maybank KimEng which is also the largest brokerage in Thailand. Never had any issues with them. They are very helpful. Would even call me on the phone if they realise that I'm trading a warrant which is about to expire.

Many Banks will sign you up to trade ...Bangkok Bank for 1 Thanachart for another, internet trading live SET

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if you can get a business visa by investing in the SET to attend AGMs or investor presenations? I currently day trade oil, gold and index futures as well as hold shares in companies and ETFs longer-term on the ASX (I'm an Aussie) and NYSE. Would be looking to buy and hold quality companies on the SET if it makes me eligible for a business visa

cheers

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if you can get a business visa by investing in the SET to attend AGMs or investor presenations? I currently day trade oil, gold and index futures as well as hold shares in companies and ETFs longer-term on the ASX (I'm an Aussie) and NYSE. Would be looking to buy and hold quality companies on the SET if it makes me eligible for a business visa

cheers

Now no. Investor visa if still available requires THB10m(?) in e.g. KTB account ofr Govt bonds - SET I am sure not. Used to get 'Non 'O' from Birmingham on basis of funds in brokerage account but that was closed off by directives from embassy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"crane" Reach the Target of 4.20 and even go 4.36 until now... So if you want keep with an Tight SL..otherwise take the huge Profit if you bought at 2.38 and move some to DEMCO( the First Quarter earnings will be bad again, lets see how the market will react or TTCL. Outside the Construction Sector it looks like some Food/Soft Stocks wake up like KSL, TFG or APURE. I also still like THRE even if they go nowhere for Years, so it is not an Buy at the Moment but worth an look if they wake up later...