Who is into Thai stock exchange?

It's amazing how there is always a new flock of experts here who last until their firm predictions fail and then they disappear. In the meantime they write like they were the only ones with information.

^^^ Now we are told twice that if the US Fed raises interest rates the value of the dollar will increase 555. cheesy.gif

The potential rate increase is already written into the value of the dollar and if the Fed doesn't increase the value may well fall. If the Fed does increase rates the value also may fall because that will worry the credit markets and those who depend on them especially housing and automobiles. The market almost always "buys on rumors and sells on news."

Let's let the kids have their fun now. Last time it was experts telling us how to get rich in the SET but they have disappeared now too. Before that it was gold but those people die hard because they have their own belief system and still think they are right after losing 1/2 of their money 555.

Where are those day traders now who were willing to tell everyone about their sure-fire riches? Where are those experts on China now that China is in a liquidity crisis and everything around them is falling? Where are the Yuan bulls? Where are the SHCOMP bulls? Where are the SET bulls?

Where are those $USD shorters? Back in their home countries with their pockets turned inside out?

Have fun kids.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai economy is expected to grow faster into the 2nd half then the US, consensus being 2.8% vs. US 2.5%. Tourism and mostly mega infrastructure spending boom will drive things higher next year. A lower Baht helps, so do much lower oil prices, not least the new economic team just appointed today. Lots of negative expats and doomsters around here which have missed the SET uneven rise over the past 5-10 years. People usually "don't like what they don't' understand", and so it is with the SET.

" People usually "don't like what they don't' understand"

what utter bull crap bah.gif

definitely the patronising kind of statement the McWalen School of Investment would spew out

The Thai economy is expected to grow faster into the 2nd half then the US, consensus being 2.8% vs. US 2.5%. Tourism and mostly mega infrastructure spending boom will drive things higher next year. A lower Baht helps, so do much lower oil prices, not least the new economic team just appointed today. Lots of negative expats and doomsters around here which have missed the SET uneven rise over the past 5-10 years. People usually "don't like what they don't' understand", and so it is with the SET.

Would you like to have all of that engraved on your tombstone?

cheesy.gif

Let's let the kids have their fun now. Last time it was experts telling us how to get rich in the SET but they have disappeared now too. Before that it was gold but those people die hard because they have their own belief system and still think they are right after losing 1/2 of their money 555.

Where are those day traders now who were willing to tell everyone about their sure-fire riches? Where are those experts on China now that China is in a liquidity crisis and everything around them is falling? Where are the Yuan bulls? Where are the SHCOMP bulls? Where are the SET bulls?

Where are those $USD shorters? Back in their home countries with their pockets turned inside out?

Have fun kids.

Cheers.

Don't know. Good question. Where are they LOL...

I did here an extension of the saying "those as can do, those who can't teach and run financial courses... LOL

BTW Only quoted this part but agree with your comments on the above, that when FED does raise rates it may well not increase the value of USD for a number of reasons, including what's already priced in. Also in the last few years markets have often become distorted so won't necessarily behave like text book theory in isolation teaches :)

Hi all,

Does anyone know good website that list SET companies much easier to see than the link below?

http://www.set.or.th/set/commonslookup.do?language=en&country=US&prefix=A

Thx in advance krab.

Hi. I didn't try but you could download some of their files

on the "List of Companies / Securities" page : http://www.set.or.th/en/company/companylist.html

I found this site rather good. Really a lot of information inside. smile.png

Impressive today as the SET is up a bit in mid morning trade, evenwhile the US Dow Jones lost nearly 500 points last night..and China markets down again so far today. Such divergence in markets can and often do mean something. In 25 years of following the Thai market full time, I have never seen such deviation.

Hi. Analysts often (or most of times? wink.png) are wrong in their predictions,

but they all seem to think that the SET will go down below 1'300 again. sad.png

See by example the article in the Finance section of the Bangkok Post website. (no link allowed)

Lots of comments here but few which suggested to pick-up some investor bargains, which went begging on this last sell off in early September.
It was as it looked and looks to me, just a good old fashion market correction with the Western Press well exaggerating the China factor. Likely a good part of the market turmoil & uncertainty was the US FED..., as it has and has been for months, sending mixed signals on interest rate increases, something a central bank should try not do! Yet done all this year, through the leadership of its first woman as Chairman. Presently both the IMF and World Bank are calling for the US not to move on % rates. And so the alternatives to a few good Thai, 2-5% dividend paying shares, remains for the most part deposits in the Thai banks at close to 0%...,with lesser and lesser government bank savings account state guarantee/insurance.

Edited by thaistocks

Hi all,

Does anyone know good website that list SET companies much easier to see than the link below?

Thx in advance krab.

Depends what you're looking for. settrade.com can be useful sometimes if looking at individual stocks. not necessarily better but may complement it if you click around

http://www.settrade.com/C13_MarketSummary.jsp?detail=SET

Hi all,

Thx in advance krab.

Depends what you're looking for. settrade.com can be useful sometimes if looking at individual stocks. not necessarily better but may complement it if you click around

http://www.settrade.com/C13_MarketSummary.jsp?detail=SET

The 4-traders.com website has a useful screening tool that covers SET - also provides decent info on companies.

Would be interested if anyone can point me towards other english language sources for stock screening and research for SET.

Following the ThaiVisa website rules, no sites are supposed to be mentioned here. The key is to find site(s) which are independent, professional and have the long on-location experience and reputation on qualitative insights through company visits and more, not just quantitative analysis from afar or graphs, which show the past but say nothing about what the companies' actually do, nor their valuation and future prospects, or what their reputation is etc...

Pattaya46, just to correct: The site's database has over 251,033 GB of data. The website itself is 246,971 GB that would include the CMS. So the total size is almost 500,000 GB! There are +3,900 unique articles, regularly posted over time at the same site URL name, since April 1997. Uninterrupted. And well over 10,00 member forum posts. 98% of contributing members renew every year.

Leading western Financial Press reports yesterday how Thai exports are falling "despite the Thai Baht's 9% depreciation this year". But then failing to point out that the Baht weakness just came in the past 3 months vs. the first 6 months of this year the Baht was one of the stronger global currencies, even rising a touch vs. the mighty US$. Much blame on the Thai economy is put on the current political transition, forgetting that China has dragged regional growth down more than anything, along with other economies not doing any better. Doom views prevail even while there are pockets of boom here, like the renewable energy sector where Thailand is a regional leader and corporate profits growing impressively. As always it's much of a market of stocks here vs. a stock market.

Could be an interesting couple of days - in an email exchange with Maybank Kim Eng this morning the following comment was made:

"from my point of view I think that the worst case for SET index in case that FED increases interest rate is 1,200 points. If not , index will rebound for short term"

• 3 months later...

At present select stock prices you can nail about 4% in dividend yields while you await the rebound. Or 4 times more then money in the bank here. Also dividends only pay 10% tax at the source, vs. 15% on interest income.

Besides, there are some current booming sectors in the Thai economy, example renewable energy...where Thailand is the region's leader. In today BKK Post the govt. re-affirms its commitment to renewables.

Also, Markets are forward looking and if the economy is bottoming around now, still a bit if, the SET market has already touched its low point.

Oh Thaistocks...contrary to your statements over the past Month in various Posts the SET trading now at an 2 Year low and your recommended stocks are deep, deep in the Red and faces hardly unassailable losses.

I know that you recommended on your Site in the Middle of 2015 unknown Stocks like Crane (-50% and Counting) "Dcon" (-70% and Counting) "Demco" for Renewable Energy as well minus 50% ....

Well, i am shure that you will find an Timeline in which you can talk about Big, Big Profits but as you pretend yourself to be an great expert it makes sense to read your old Posts here.

The Thai market is Volatile and perfect for Traders if you know the " Rules" of this Market.

To think the Average Thai Investor will put the Money in the Stock Market is more an Dream then Real.

No matter in which market you invest not put your hard Earned Money in so called Experts who pretend they know everything..

btw ..The Set NOW !! at 1220 points is maybe an bet for the Short Term :) just my small recommendation..for Free and without guarantee :)

then you have not been advised in strong downtrend to purchase

Could be an interesting couple of days - in an email exchange with Maybank Kim Eng this morning the following comment was made:

"from my point of view I think that the worst case for SET index in case that FED increases interest rate is 1,200 points. If not , index will rebound for short term"

So the Guys was right....for now..

Kim Eng is an good Broker and the Research is far better then from most of "self Appointed" Experts

cheesy.gif

Where is this guy thaistocks today, LOL? I've been trying to tell people for more than two years, but especially since the junta.

Cheers.

Mislav Matejka at JP Morganin their private clients newsletter telling clients today to use any bounces in the stock market as a selling opportunityfacepalm.gif

" Our view is that the risk-reward for equities has worsened materially. In contrast to the past 7 years, when we advocated using the dips as buying opportunities, we believe the regime has transitioned to one of selling any rally. Yes, stocks had a rough time most recently, and some of the tactical indicators, such as Bull-Bear at -16 which is at the bottom of its trading range, argue for a short-term respite. Clearly, equities are unlikely to keep falling in a straight line, with periodic rebounds likely. However, we believe that one should be using any bounces as selling opportunities.

We fear that the incoming Q4 reporting season won’t be able to provide much reassurance for stocks. As was the case for a while now, consensus expectations have been managed aggressively into the results. The hurdle rate for Q4 S&P500 EPS has fallen from +5%yoy a few months back to -4%yoy currently. If this were to materialise, it would be the weakest quarter for EPS delivery so far in the upcycle."

Mislav Matejka at JP Morganin their private clients newsletter telling clients today to use any bounces in the stock market as a selling opportunityfacepalm.gif

" Our view is that the risk-reward for equities has worsened materially. In contrast to the past 7 years, when we advocated using the dips as buying opportunities, we believe the regime has transitioned to one of selling any rally. Yes, stocks had a rough time most recently, and some of the tactical indicators, such as Bull-Bear at -16 which is at the bottom of its trading range, argue for a short-term respite. Clearly, equities are unlikely to keep falling in a straight line, with periodic rebounds likely. However, we believe that one should be using any bounces as selling opportunities.

We fear that the incoming Q4 reporting season won’t be able to provide much reassurance for stocks. As was the case for a while now, consensus expectations have been managed aggressively into the results. The hurdle rate for Q4 S&P500 EPS has fallen from +5%yoy a few months back to -4%yoy currently. If this were to materialise, it would be the weakest quarter for EPS delivery so far in the upcycle."

I "liked" this post and I agree with it, but it doesn't apply to me. I don't "sell" stocks. I don't play the market. I have some quality stocks that I've had for a very long time including through the ups and downs. Unless the company itself begins to show weakness due to its aging business model or for some other reason, I sit tight.

I'm not smart enough to time the market.

Cheers.

cheesy.gif

Where is this guy thaistocks today, LOL? I've been trying to tell people for more than two years, but especially since the junta.

Cheers.

Maybe he lick his wounds as for Today the Market is up strong but his Selection of Micro Caps like DCON,WHA,CRANE etc. are still in the RED :) Will come out for shure again if these Stocks will have an Run again and will tell us that we not Wise and Smart enough.

But then again after this Small and Micro Caps loose somewhat between 40-70% maybe it makes sense to collect some for an Rebound Speculation.. As the Thai Market and this Mirco Caps is only for Traders never for Investors over the Longterm..