Pak Moon Dam gates lifted to replenish the Moon River

webfact

Pak Moon Dam gates lifted to replenish the Moon River

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) has begun to release more water from the Pak Moon Dam into the Moon River to restore the ecosystem.

EGAT officials along with police and military personnel have gathered together in Ubon Ratchathani to witness the opening of the dam’s 8 sluice gates.

The gates have been lifted all the way up to release water into the streams. The decision came after the government decided on August 10th that the Moon River would attract more fish from the Mekong River if the water levels were replenished.

Water has not been released from the Pak Moon Dam for many months as it was needed to generate electricity. The opening of the gates is also in line with the demand from local aqua farmers who have been affected by the temporary closure of the dam.

According to EGAT, it is not known at this point when the gates will be closed again as the rainy season continues to bring more rain to the area.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-17 footer_n.gif

Good idea..

Yes, but I'm puzzled. They normally fight like demons to avoid doing this. What's different this time? Article 44? Also, what's this about the locals "who have been affected by the temporary closure of the dam." They've been adversely affected by the dam for years and there was nothing temporary about the "closing of the dam." EGAT has claimed for years that they needed to keep the gates closed in order to generate electricity, even though the flawed design of the dam means they can never generate the amount of electricity they originally promised. I still think the dam was a corrupt land speculation scheme that has hurt hundreds of thousands of Thais who live downstream from the dam.

Edited by Acharn

"The gates have been lifted all the way up to release water into the streams."

Slightly misleading (lost in translation?). The dam is only 5.5k west of the Mun's confluence with the Mekong, so the only 'stream' downstream of the dam to be filled is the Mekong. Don't think I've ever heard of the Mekong being described as a stream!

I'm guessing that what's happening here is that the river level in the Mun will drop (look out for that in Ubon) and the levels will be equalised both sides of the dam thereby allowing Mekong fish of many different types to re-populate the Mun River upstream - potentially a lot of its 400+ km length (depending on how long it is left open. So yes - potentially a very good thing for a long length of the river. I'll go get my rod I think - fishing for giant catfish off Warin Bridge anyone?!

Nice of the powers that be to restrict the observation of the event to officials, police and military personnel wasn't it. Bet they had a right old junketburp.gif

Cambodia's fishermen must be welcoming this as well - a lot of that water when released is going to end up going down the Mekong and backing up into Tonle Sap, thus helping the massive lake to grow a bit more and provide for fisherman in that region (only a little bit though - there's not a huge storage reservoir in the Mun). Tonle Sap lake must be struggling this year what with El Nino screwing around with SE Asia's rainy season and every Tom Dick and Harry upstream in the Mekong trying to keep water for themselves.

Edited by SantiSuk

Good idea..

Yes, but I'm puzzled. They normally fight like demons to avoid doing this. What's different this time? Article 44? Also, what's this about the locals "who have been affected by the temporary closure of the dam." They've been adversely affected by the dam for years and there was nothing temporary about the "closing of the dam." EGAT has claimed for years that they needed to keep the gates closed in order to generate electricity, even though the flawed design of the dam means they can never generate the amount of electricity they originally promised. I still think the dam was a corrupt land speculation scheme that has hurt hundreds of thousands of Thais who live downstream from the dam.

Many hydro dams install much larger generators than could run 24/7 to maximise returns. Hydro electricity output is changeable very rapidly, ideal for "load following, and more valuable than base load or unregulated input.

But I am surprised at this waste of energy. Surely the water after passing through the hydro-generators goes into the river, so if the level is high, why can't they run them continuously as base load?