Phuket's B20mn Palai Pier on target for completion by 2016

webfact

Phuket's B20mn Palai Pier on target for completion by 2016
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1439867879_1-org.jpg
The B20-million Palai Pier in Chalong is on target to open for use by February 2016. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Construction of the “Palai Pier” in Chalong is 30 per cent complete and on target to open for use by local fishermen by February next year, The Phuket News has learned.

Big Land Engineering Co Ltd from Chonburi province began construction of the pier on February 23 with a budget of B19,959,000.

Located next to Palai Seafood restaurant, at the end of Soi Palai, the pier measures 4.4 meters wide and extends 21m into the sea.

The government concession contract stipulates 360 days for construction, with the pier scheduled for completion by February 18, 2016.

“The main purpose of the pier is for small boats and fishing boats to tie up here,” explained project manager Rewat Kaseampong.

“After construction is finished, responsibility for the pier will be handed over to the Phuket Marine Office to manage.”

Project engineer Anat Chajoensuk added, “Right now, the project is about 30pc complete. It will be pier for fishing.”

However, Phuket Marine Office Chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut said the pier could be used by boats other than local fishing vessels.

“This pier is being built for all people in the area to use for a variety of purposes,” he said.

“After, the pier is complete, it will be handed over to the local administration organization [Chalong Municipality] to take care of.”

One local fisherman, who asked not to be named, welcomed the project.

“I always have to beach my boat on the sand, so it will be good to use the pier. It will make it much easier to unload my catch,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-b20mn-palai-pier-on-target-for-completion-by-2016-53691.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-18