Could Pattaya be the next target for a bomb?

i claudius

Moderators have allowed this topic to remain as it is considered an inevitable and valid local response to the recent Thai capitol's events.

Sensible replies have been allowed but pure scare-mongering posts are removed as are others that contribute nothing to the topic.

petercool - Moderator Team

I think they would target Phuket and Hua Hin before thinking about Pattaya city. Besides if it was an Arab he would not bomb his favourite city in Thailand.

Well sure, Phuket is world famous.

Hua Hin isn't well known internationally but I get the connection we can't really discuss.

As far as is this Muslim related ... there is no way to know that yet but I am betting not.

I think they would target Phuket and Hua Hin before thinking about Pattaya city. Besides if it was an Arab he would not bomb his favourite city in Thailand.

Well sure, Phuket is world famous.

Hua Hin isn't well known internationally but I get the connection we can't really discuss.

As far as is this Muslim related ... there is no way to know that yet but I am betting not.

Which follows nicely from your earlier comment:

There are numerous possibilities of what group is behind it. For example an internal Thai political group, not related to Islam, that feels it is in their benefit to economically destabilize Thailand via the tourism industry. Then Pattaya would be on the list.

Yes, I think your hammer is plunging toward the right nail. A particularly effective way would be to scare off the Chinese (and Asians), which would hit the heart of Thailand's tourism hopes. Enough said.

Is it a coincidence that the same area in Bangkok that had all the political demonstrations with the red shirts also is the place where a huge bomb is exploded?

It could be but I think it is more likely this is an internal political job and nothing to do with Muslims in the south or disenfranchised Chinese.

As for Pattaya it could be a target but I imagine it is low on the list. The two most likely Pattaya targets would be Walking St and Central Festival .

More worried about crossing the road here than any bomb to tell you the truth.

I have to agree the location's link to historically recent red shirt events is a major clue making the Islamic connection probably less likely. If so, ironic that he wore a yellow shirt.

Anyway, if part of the tactic is to disrupt tourism as many have theorized, OF COURSE, Pattaya would be at least a potential target.

Whether it was the intention or not, don't kid yourself tourism for the upcoming high season has ALREADY been disrupted by this. The question now is how badly and that partly depends on the attacks stopping and also identifying the force behind them.

Edited by Jingthing

I just saw picture of man on FB, he has American PP, last name is Fahl, he looks like he is with Turkey Army, could he be part of ugher movement in Turkey and he's upset about deportation of Ughers back to China, Ithe was the First Group , I thought of last night.

Makes sense if they are targeting Chinese tourists, and we have plenty of them here, I'm looking forward to less tour buses

I have to agree the location's link to historically recent red shirt events is a major clue making the Islamic connection probably less likely. If so, ironic that he wore a yellow shirt.

Anyway, if part of the tactic is to disrupt tourism as many have theorized, OF COURSE, Pattaya would be at least a potential target.

Whether it was the intention or not, don't kid yourself tourism for the upcoming high season has ALREADY been disrupted by this. The question now is how badly and that partly depends on the attacks stopping and also identifying the force behind them.

You would think if you wanted to not be Noticed, You would Not use such a Loud Color Shirt

You would think if you wanted to not be Noticed, You would Not use such a Loud Color Shirt

Reverse psychology.

Regular tourists are often dressed atrociously.

Fits right in!

Youngest son of Osama, recently released an audio circulated in groups fan club asking for more lone wolf attacks.

I see no connection.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-others/new-video-shows-osamas-son-hamza-bin-laden-asking-jihadists-to-attack-us-allies/

The slain al-Qaeda chief’s son, in his mid 20s, told Al Qaeda supporters to carry out lone wolf attacks in Washington, DC, Paris and Tel-Aviv in a video message.

“This is your duty,” Hamza bin Laden said as he called to move the jihadist war from the Middle East to allies of the US and Jewish Americans, according to SITE Intelligence Group.

Thailand and the USA are hardly close allies now and the shrine that was bombed was hardly a hangout for American Jews.

I can think of a few places in Thailand where you are likely to find a few American Jews, but I'm not telling!

Next! ...

Edited by Jingthing

Youngest son of Osama, recently released an audio circulated in groups fan club asking for more lone wolf attacks.

I see no connection.

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/world-others/new-video-shows-osamas-son-hamza-bin-laden-asking-jihadists-to-attack-us-allies/

The slain al-Qaeda chief’s son, in his mid 20s, told Al Qaeda supporters to carry out lone wolf attacks in Washington, DC, Paris and Tel-Aviv in a video message.

“This is your duty,” Hamza bin Laden said as he called to move the jihadist war from the Middle East to allies of the US and Jewish Americans, according to SITE Intelligence Group.

Thailand and the USA are hardly close allies now and the shrine that was bombed was hardly a hangout for American Jews.

I can think of a few places in Thailand where you are likely to find a few American Jews, but I'm not telling!

Next! ...

The connection is to continue attacks, lone wolf style.

Yes he stated the targets, but to a lone wolf, who happens to be in Thailand, that is all that might be needed, just an encouragement.

But all this is just a speculation, as none of us, including authorities have no real idea.

PS. Only people following Thai media are aware of the rift, if you were in US or Iran, you would not have a clue if there were any trouble between US and Thailand

Edited by konying