Could Pattaya be the next target for a bomb?

i claudius

I said to my wife this morning how long will it be before Pattaya attracts the same carnage as Bangkok

It brings home to me that anywhere where there is a big cosmopolitan mix of nationalities and therefore of international media interest, could be a target for this abominable behaviour.

The perpetrators are of course wanting to spread fear and panic to all, that is part of the game plan for extremists, isn't it?

Our hearts go out to the families of the bereaved and our hopes that the injured will have a speedy recovery

I remember witnessing the Terrorist Bomb blast in Manchester from a couple of hundred yards away and remember the fear and mental pain that went through my mind at the time, it was not a pleasant experience, the Bombers do more damage than just physical in their deadly trade, it leaves people with mental scars that can never be healed

Edited by n210mp

This type of speculation has been around since the upsurge in violence in the deep South in 2004. So far no attacks aimed at places frequented by Westerners.

At this stage Thai government has ruled out the participation of Thai Muslims in the BKK bombing and are seeking someone seen on CCTV.

If that incident was aimed at unseating Thai politics and politicians then Bangkok is where all that is rather than here in the provinces.

But at this time it can only be speculation and no scare mongering seems indicated for Pattaya.

This type of speculation has been around since the upsurge in violence in the deep South in 2004. So far no attacks aimed at places frequented by Westerners.

At this stage Thai government has ruled out the participation of Thai Muslims in the BKK bombing and are seeking someone seen on CCTV.

the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast"

Edited by simple1

the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast"

the pm has no idea who the guy is but claims hes a red shirt, they wont catch him, almost like a poorly covered up inside job, but of course it couldnt be

Of course it is possible.

The Bali disco terror event would be an attack in a resort city similar to Pattaya.

It depends on the motives of the group behind this attack, of course.

There is speculation it is aimed at tourism ...

Well, if so, why, only about the economic impact or somehow related to xenophobia?

Probably would be the former.

They made a very big hit already. Maybe that's enough for them. If they're going for a series of attacks later AND the aim is tourism, yes, there should be concern.

A lot of IFS ... not saying run away but just suggest to keep it real until we know more.

A few weeks ago I went into a club on Walking Street called 808, standing at the bar were two middle eastern youngish guys acting strangely and drinking heavy, one with hair like Fellini (Belgium footballer) was wearing a fair sized pack pack.

I mean come on in a packed night club they let a guy in with a back pack?, I am not a nervous person but got out of there quick, made my feelings politely known to security, but all I got was "no problem, no problem"

It could have been a dummy run who knows, I must say one was not unlike the guy in that pic of the suspect they were that age, but this guys hair is a bit shorter, but of course i can not be sure

To paraphrase some info from a major Bangkok newspaperwhistling.gif :

Thailand authorities DEFINITELY think Pattaya is a major potential target.

Chonburi police chief inspects security at Pattaya tourist attractions including Walking Street. (Whatever that means!)

Announcement of vehicle inspections on Sukhumwit province wide. Again, to actually inspect all vehicles on that road would mean the traffic never moving, right?

I would presume that there will be a beef up of the entry screening show (at least temporarily) at the shopping malls, but just guessing about that one.

Killing sex tourists wouldn't make the same statement as killing family tourists.

Pattaya is likely to be the safest place in Thailand (bombing wise).

This bombing targeted a religious shrine, I would expect the theme to be repeated.

Even though I'd like to, I reckon it wouldn't OK right now to start a poll about this, but I am wondering how local people are going to react to this, at least in the short term. Personally, I plan to make a point of avoiding large shopping malls as much as possible and if I wanted to go to Walking Street (I hate it anyway) I wouldn't go now. Are others thinking that way ... that's it's a good idea to lay low at least until we know more about the nature of the group behind the Bangkok attack?

Edited by Jingthing

Unfortunately Pattaya along with many other tourist destinations may well be targeted if the intention of these terrorists is to hurt Thailand's economy.

What these terrorists seem not to grasp their logic does not work, give it a few weeks and the Erwin Shrine will be busier than ever.

Well, what's unusually disturbing about this terror event in Bangkok is of course it's size and effectiveness but also the massive mystery as to the motives. Based on what is known now it really could be from any of a number of very different forces. That adds to the potential public terror (and impact on tourism) ... just not knowing what we're dealing with. The only "theory" I personally almost completely rule out is that it's just one mentally ill person with no agenda. There is clearly an agenda and part of the tactics of this force may indeed be creating maximum terror by NOT taking credit.

Edited by Jingthing

Sure Pattaya is a potential target. As is Phuket, Bangkok, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Moskou, Paris, Marseille, Rome, Verona, bzzzzzzzz

Who would have thought that one September 11th that New York would be a possible target?

Driving by motorcycle from North to South Pattaya is, as for now, most likely more risky behavior as walking around at Pattaya beach and so is smoking I guess.

I just saw picture of man on FB, he has American PP, last name is Fahl, he looks like he is with Turkey Army, could he be part of ugher movement in Turkey and he's upset about deportation of Ughers back to China, Ithe was the First Group , I thought of last night.

Edited by Nice Boyd

Sure Pattaya is a potential target. As is Phuket, Bangkok, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Moskou, Paris, Marseille, Rome, Verona, bzzzzzzzz

Who would have thought that one September 11th that New York would be a possible target?

Driving by motorcycle from North to South Pattaya is, as for now, most likely more risky behavior as walking around at Pattaya beach and so is smoking I guess.

That's true ... there is a lot of danger here without even considering terrorism.

You're 100 percent wrong.

It is a very reasonable topic.

As I posted, even the high levels of the Thai government have fully acknowledged that Pattaya is a potential target of these same (unknown) terrorists.

In fact, they took IMMEDIATE ACTION.

Here in Pattaya.

Is this action going to be effective ... who knows, but it shows that there is a reason to be concerned.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Demonizing a thread started over something legit like this is out of line.

Edited by Jingthing

If this was indeed an act of terror aimed at western tourists then Pattaya being hit is very likely.

HOWEVER

As been proven time and time again, those Islamic terror groups do live by double standards, so I doubt they would want to damage their playground and supply of ladyboys.

There are numerous possibilities of what group is behind it. For example an internal Thai political group, not related to Islam, that feels it is in their benefit to economically destabilize Thailand via the tourism industry. Then Pattaya would be on the list.

Looking at this in a sober way, perhaps the surprising thing is that Pattaya has never been hit by an event like this, and hoping it will stay that way, but hope and 200 baht gets you a latte at Starbucks.

Edited by Jingthing

Killing sex tourists wouldn't make the same statement as killing family tourists.

This bombing targeted a religious shrine, I would expect the theme to be repeated.

So Bangkok doesnt have sex/hookers/happy ending massage etc etc ????

Your post is ridiculous

So Bangkok doesnt have sex/hookers/happy ending massage etc etc ????

Your post is ridiculous

Indeed it is and Pattaya hosts many large tourist sites now catering to more general and family tourists as well.