Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

Notice how, now that the "irrefutable" DNA evidence has been shown to have more holes than Swiss cheese, that a damaged phone supposedly belonging to DM and purportedly found near the residence of the suspects have suddenly become very "damning" evidence. And yet you know who claims that others are grasping at straws cheesy.gif

The defense was offered a retesting of all the DNA evidence, the one from inside the rape victim in particular, they refused. You call that a refutation? rolleyes.gif

Wow! Your porky pie skills are on par with the RTP

Note to Americans and maybe others:

A big lie. From the English rhyming slang 'porky pies', which rhymes with lies.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what you are saying turns out to be true then why is absolutely all of the other evidence the RTP managed to put together against the B2 completely faked and completely torn to shreds in court?

I want to hear what the B2 say when they take the stand.

Will the prosecution cross examine them?

Who says all the evidence has been fake and torn to shreds? The same people that have been claiming the phone was planted per chance?

As for what the two defendants will say, I'm pretty sure they won't change their previous testimony regarding the phone.

So the trial has been going well for the prosecution has it? Is this how a perfect case goes when it's brought to court?

You know that the trial has been shambolic for the RTP and the defense hasn't even started yet!!

Isn't it strange that everyone who is following this case, whether in Thailand or abroad would strongly agree with your post bar the few remaining shills?

Yes, I hope they are getting rewarded handsomely for their tireless efforts on these threads. If not then they are a bunch of mugs wasting their time for nothing.

Notice how, now that the "irrefutable" DNA evidence has been shown to have more holes than Swiss cheese, that a damaged phone supposedly belonging to DM and purportedly found near the residence of the suspects have suddenly become very "damning" evidence. And yet you know who claims that others are grasping at straws cheesy.gif

The defense was offered a retesting of all the DNA evidence, the one from inside the rape victim in particular, they refused. You call that a refutation? rolleyes.gif

Correction: the defence had requested retesting of all DNA, the court eventually agreed, and the RTP responded by saying it had all been used up or lost - the critical DNA, that is. Once the defence had received information from the UK that countered that of the RTP, they staged (yes they staged) B2 DNA samples by forensic pros to be taken inside the court, where chain of custody couldn't be contested.

Once they had the non-match - they told the court that it wouldn't be necessary to re-test the remaining pieces of evidence, like the hoe, a few socks and shoes and other items.

In my book that's a proven refutation of the RTP's case. And it's about time you and Tony 121 accepted it.

Who says all the evidence has been fake and torn to shreds? The same people that have been claiming the phone was planted per chance?

As for what the two defendants will say, I'm pretty sure they won't change their previous testimony regarding the phone.

So the trial has been going well for the prosecution has it? Is this how a perfect case goes when it's brought to court?

You know that the trial has been shambolic for the RTP and the defense hasn't even started yet!!

Isn't it strange that everyone who is following this case, whether in Thailand or abroad would strongly agree with your post bar the few remaining shills?

We must all remember we only eat what we are fed through the news channels. However it does appear that way....... The fact that Sky News has bailed out since their translator was warned by the Mafia to do a runner.

Looks like Jonathan Samuels has lost his bottle and gone the same way. As well as the BBC Guy. This surprises me considering its by far the most high profile case involving British Citizens to come out of Thailand for years.

Strange in my honest opinion. Very Strange. they spend millions following Oscar case but cant afford a ticket to this one blink.png

I guess khaosod have abandoned also ?

I suspect Ali G that at least 95% of the posters here have a deep knowledge of Thailand and the structure of its society.

Strongly recommend you come to Thailand and make the same study.

You will be surprised by your experiences.

I am sure what worries us are 2 things. The Burmese are clearly innocent and not subject to a fair process. Plus the fact that if any influential people on Koh Tao Island commit assault, rape, murder or any other act of violence, there is/ are no suitably qualified people of authority who can lock them up. This means that future tourists to Koh Tao are being walked amongst by locals who are practiced in the art of violent crime and are immune from any adverse consequences.

The Burmese were not the main players in this tragedy.

1) No previous convictions nor any history of criminal behaviour.

2) Their physical stature would have prevented them being able to kill David Miller unless they shot him which they did not.

3) They have behaved with quiet and consistent dignity in the face of torture and the death penalty which may follow.

4) The practice of scapegoating is a continual part of Thai systems.

5) No motive.

6) No attempt to escape, quietly and tamely off to bed.

As an example of the lack of a criminal justice system is the fact that it has always been against the criminal code to over throw the government of Thailand. But military generals and rich people are exempt from prosecution. It could be added that a poor person can purchase similar immunity also, but that would mean that that person was no longer poor.

Wow! Your porky pie skills are on par with the RTP

Note to Americans and maybe others:

A big lie. From the English rhyming slang 'porky pies', which rhymes with lies.

While it is English, it's cockney rhyming slang. A cockney (traditionally) is one who has been born within earshot 12 (English) miles of Bow Bells, east side of London. A church, Mary le Bow. My son is a cockney.

We must all remember we only eat what we are fed through the news channels. However it does appear that way....... The fact that Sky News has bailed out since their translator was warned by the Mafia to do a runner.

Looks like Jonathan Samuels has lost his bottle and gone the same way. As well as the BBC Guy. This surprises me considering its by far the most high profile case involving British Citizens to come out of Thailand for years.

Strange in my honest opinion. Very Strange. they spend millions following Oscar case but cant afford a ticket to this one blink.png

I would wager a bet that the BBC, Sky etc will be back for the defense's turn and with all guns blazing! (aside from Khaosod who had their wings forcibly clipped)

Well not sure, I was referring to the UK media outlets. BBC and Sky who was all over this like a rash when it broke. then they send their reporters to the trial. But now nothing Not even a tweet really...

I don't think Khaosod are to pleased considering they got their info from a copper. Mr Panya

I suspect Ali G that at least 95% of the posters here have a deep knowledge of Thailand and the structure of its society.

Strongly recommend you come to Thailand and make the same study.

You will be surprised by your experiences.

I am sure what worries us are 2 things. The Burmese are clearly innocent and not subject to a fair process. Plus the fact that if any influential people on Koh Tao Island commit assault, rape, murder or any other act of violence, there is/ are no suitably qualified people of authority who can lock them up. This means that future tourists to Koh Tao are being walked amongst by locals who are practiced in the art of violent crime and are immune from any adverse consequences.

The Burmese were not the main players in this tragedy.

1) No previous convictions nor any history of criminal behaviour.

2) Their physical stature would have prevented them being able to kill David Miller unless they shot him which they did not.

3) They have behaved with quiet and consistent dignity in the face of torture and the death penalty which may follow.

4) The practice of scapegoating is a continual part of Thai systems.

5) No motive.

6) No attempt to escape, quietly and tamely off to bed.

As an example of the lack of a criminal justice system is the fact that it has always been against the criminal code to over throw the government of Thailand. But military generals and rich people are exempt from prosecution. It could be added that a poor person can purchase similar immunity also, but that would mean that that person was no longer poor.

1. Do you think murderers need a previous conviction, especially in Thailand or Burma ?

2. Their physical stature is no different than the Thai boy Nomsod who many of you believe did it. Have you ever seen a group of small tiny built Thais or other Asians attack a big lonely westerner? They win.

3. Yes I hope so.

4. The practise of scapegoating , yes I am sure it exist in Thailand but in everry murder case ?

5. No motive , yes unfortunately you dont need a motive to rape and kill in Thailand. Blame it on drugs or low social behaviour, as we have seen in the past, bot Thais and foreigners can behave like animals .

6. Good point , so maybe B2 are completely innocent because they never tried to escape ?

Sounds like the RTP are back to their favourite trick, speaking on behalf of other people. RTP officer insisted, "Bangkok-based UK police representative confirmed phone was Miller's."

No written confirmation? No documentation? No? Didn't think so. There never is, is there? Just fiction and lies and confessions extracted by torture.

<deleted>!!

I can't believe you actually thought you were going to get away with that one .......

Correction: the defence had requested retesting of all DNA, the court eventually agreed, and the RTP responded by saying it had all been used up or lost - the critical DNA, that is. Once the defence had received information from the UK that countered that of the RTP, they staged (yes they staged) B2 DNA samples by forensic pros to be taken inside the court, where chain of custody couldn't be contested.

Once they had the non-match - they told the court that it wouldn't be necessary to re-test the remaining pieces of evidence, like the hoe, a few socks and shoes and other items.

In my book that's a proven refutation of the RTP's case. And it's about time you and Tony 121 accepted it.

If you are going to correct people at least try to have a passing acquaintance with the facts. The "all DNA evidence is used up" disinformation has already been disproved for weeks. The defense was allowed to retest all the DNA evidence, including the one from inside the body of the rape victim:

“The court said that lawyers are free to request all the DNA samples for independent DNA testing at any time,”

The defence team in the Koh Tao murder trial has dramatically reversed its demands to retest the DNA found on the body of Norfolk student Hannah Witheridge, and said they “don’t need it any more.”

Besides that, you just made up the "fact" that the defense has a non-match of the DNA, didn't you? If not provide a cite for that claim. Also those other pieces of evidence that you say there's no need to retest, they have already been sent to retest:

"Mr Chomphuchat said that the alleged murder weapon, a garden hoe, which had never been properly forensically examined by police, and some clothing found at the scene, had already been retested by government forensic officers but no results had yet been forwarded to the defence lawyers."

Funnily enough, I am the one being accused of telling "porkies".

Sounds like the RTP are back to their favourite trick, speaking on behalf of other people. RTP officer insisted, "Bangkok-based UK police representative confirmed phone was Miller's."

No written confirmation? No documentation? No? Didn't think so. There never is, is there? Just fiction and lies and confessions extracted by torture.

Briggsy- that the norm here. If we say it's what happened we don't have to prove it.

<deleted>!!

I can't believe you actually thought you were going to get away with that one .......

Why, yes, I expect to get away with telling the truth, much as it may rattle some people.

Again:

“The court said that lawyers are free to request all the DNA samples for independent DNA testing at any time,”

The defence team in the Koh Tao murder trial has dramatically reversed its demands to retest the DNA found on the body of Norfolk student Hannah Witheridge, and said they “don’t need it any more.”

If you are going to correct people at least try to have a passing acquaintance with the facts. The "all DNA evidence is used up" disinformation has already been disproved for weeks. The defense was allowed to retest all the DNA evidence, including the one from inside the body of the rape victim:

Besides that, you just made up the "fact" that the defense has a non-match of the DNA, didn't you? If not provide a cite for that claim. Also those other pieces of evidence that you say there's no need to retest, they have already been sent to retest:

"Mr Chomphuchat said that the alleged murder weapon, a garden hoe, which had never been properly forensically examined by police, and some clothing found at the scene, had already been retested by government forensic officers but no results had yet been forwarded to the defence lawyers."

That's incorrect. the DNA samples had been used up or lost. That's factual. What was remaining was the profiles. I think you need to be aquainted with the facts. If you read the reports from court it is made quite clear that the defence counsel doesn't need any more re-testing on what's left. He has enough to prove the B2's innocence. That's also a factual statement.

And yes, you may not be telling porkies, but you don't have any grasp on factuality.

That's incorrect. the DNA samples had been used up or lost. That's factual. What was remaining was the profiles. I think you need to be aquainted with the facts. If you read the reports from court it is made quite clear that the defence counsel doesn't need any more re-testing on what's left. He has enough to prove the B2's innocence. That's also a factual statement.

And yes, you may not be telling porkies, but you don't have any grasp on factuality.

Yell -AleG uses selective passages to distort the facts but you do feed him. With the exception of an occasional post I wonder what keeps his/her brain functioning sometimes and if its legal.

I hate to sound like one of the shills Stephen but do we know for sure that the chain of custody of the new samples is certain and that there is no match? I've tried to keep on top of this so apologies if I missed the source on that one.

I think any RTP investigation would look as bad if under the spotlight.
Actually, RTP sometimes get things right. Once in awhile there is a crime solved by RTP who actually look closely at the clues, follow leads, use some outside-the-box thinking - and nab the culprits. They have the capabilities, it's mostly a matter of whether they have an agenda which supersedes doing real detective work. I think that's the situation in this KT case.
Also who cares what UK police think about the evidence. It ain't their country!
I hope you're joking.

Good that we can agree on something , RTP does a good job , sometimes...

Here in Pattaya we see alot of crimes solved on a weekly basis , at least what we read about in the news.

And yes we have the bad cops too.

The question remains if every local police officer that worked on the KT case are bad guys or just do it the Thai way without "thinking" too much .

Not sure how long u have lived there but at one point the Mayor ordered the newspapers to report no more than 2 murders a week there.

My friend who had sold his home and was leaving Thailand in 4 days turns up dead. By hanging himself. The police said it was suicide. End of story. No investigation or anything. I could write a book about Pattaya

My point is that it's getting better in Pattaya , compared to lets say 7 years ago. They can and will solve crimes here fast, if they want to.

I think they are perfectly capable of arresting people and ensuring they get a conviction in order to close a case.

My concern after learning about the police conduct during the koh tao investigation is the means used to get a conviction and whether the right people are convicted.

Edited by simonuk

The issue that this thread has to deal with is misinformation provided by posters that could influence occasional readers not familiar with this case. I have no issue with different opinions, but to put most statements out of sequence, out of timing, and frankly dishonest in context, is despicable.

I hate to sound like one of the shills Stephen but do we know for sure that the chain of custody of the new samples is certain and that there is no match? I've tried to keep on top of this so apologies if I missed the source on that one.

The defence counsel stated he didn't need any more DNA evidence -so my reading is that he is in the know -so to speak. The results of the CofC samples provided by the B2 in court will be returned directly to the defence. We will find out later, the outcome.

"The defence counsel stated he didn't need any more DNA evidence -so my reading is that he is in the know -so to speak. The results of the CofC samples provided by the B2 in court will be returned directly to the defence. We will find out later, the outcome".

I know the results will go directly to the defense. My concern is how secure is the chain from the court to whoever tested them. But, as you say, we will find out soon enough.

So far, this trial has been a non-event - as is today. The main prosecution case relates to the DNA evidence that hasn't been mentioned to date. Can they validate their assertions that the B2 profiles match the female victim? Surely that's priority?

Instead we have a 'confession' since retracted, an unlawful (following the retraction) 're-enactment' and today, a 'phone' that may or may not belong to the male victim. Plus a guy who said he interrogated one of the B2, presumably to gain the 'conviction'.

There's always tomorrow...

"The defence counsel stated he didn't need any more DNA evidence -so my reading is that he is in the know -so to speak. The results of the CofC samples provided by the B2 in court will be returned directly to the defence. We will find out later, the outcome".

I know the results will go directly to the defense. My concern is how secure is the chain from the court to whoever tested them. But, as you say, we will find out soon enough.

It went c/o ms porntip who is a defence witness. I would trust her. On 20 June 2014, media reports stated that Ponthip was recently ordered by Thailand's ruling junta to take over the Thai Forensics Institute and to "make a clean sweep" in reorganizing it.

So far, this trial has been a non-event - as is today. The main prosecution case relates to the DNA evidence that hasn't been mentioned to date. Can they validate their assertions that the B2 profiles match the female victim? Surely that's priority?

Instead we have a 'confession' since retracted, an unlawful (following the retraction) 're-enactment' and today, a 'phone' that may or may not belong to the male victim. Plus a guy who said he interrogated one of the B2, presumably to gain the 'conviction'.

And the prosecutor sent the case back how many times? 3? 4?

I noticed something distinctly lacking on your response, citations; that being third party account that supports your claims; you know, like I did to disprove your claims.

Even your own post disproves your claims, this "the DNA samples had been used up or lost" directly contradicts this "the defence counsel doesn't need any more re-testing on what's left", which one is it? all gone or something left?

So go on then, where is your source that there are no DNA samples left to test and that the defense has already obtained a negative match... presumably as compared with those DNA samples that don't exist, nice feat that.

I see that in a subsequent post you complain about people posting misinformation... so once again, you claimed the defense already has DNA results that clear the men on trial, source?

And the prosecutor sent the case back how many times? 3? 4?

It does make one wonder, I know. The realities in Thailand is that people in positions of authority do not get challenged by the populace (even if they know it's B/S). It is culture, reinforced by education that one does not question authority. Thais do NOT complain in public, apart from political demonstrations. Thus if the RTP say they did it, they don't have to provide proof. This case has been a cultural shock to them, and they're foundering.

I noticed something distinctly lacking on your response, citations; that being third party account that supports your claims; you know, like I did to disprove your claims.

Even your own post disproves your claims, this "the DNA samples had been used up or lost" directly contradicts this "the defence counsel doesn't need any more re-testing on what's left", which one is it? all gone or something left?

So go on then, where is your source that there are no DNA samples left to test and that the defense has already obtained a negative match... presumably as compared with those DNA samples that don't exist, nice feat that.

I see that in a subsequent post you complain about people posting misinformation... so once again, you claimed the defense already has DNA results that clear the men on trial, source?

Yell AleG can you explain this

Mr Chomphuchat said that the alleged murder weapon, a garden hoe, which had never been properly forensically examined by police, and some clothing found at the scene

Why in nearly a year have the police failed to forensically examine the murder weapon FF Sake Why????? Can you in all your days tell me why???

Cut your cr@p digging and tell me WHY oh WHY oh Why.......

You cant can you..... Nobody can....... Nobody knows...... The weapon that was handled by the KILLER NOT tested forensically.

Yell AleG can you explain this

Mr Chomphuchat said that the alleged murder weapon, a garden hoe, which had never been properly forensically examined by police, and some clothing found at the scene

Why in nearly a year have the police failed to forensically examine the murder weapon FF Sake Why????? Can you in all your days tell me why???

Cut your cr@p digging and tell me WHY oh WHY oh Why.......

You cant can you..... Nobody can....... Nobody knows...... The weapon that was handled by the KILLER NOT tested forensically.

Maybe it was .... but they did not like what they found on it.