Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

Can you give more details?

Yes, to some extent, but i don't have the full picture, maybe tomorrow but my understanding is DNA evidence does link the two accused to the crime, this was a driver behind the defence not wanting a retest, profiles do match.

Not very surprising though, that was the missing evidence from the prosecution case so far.

As for the defense not wanting to retest it, to me it is rather telling. If as they claimed they have evidence that contradicts the results I don't see why they would refuse to have the retest done, either it would come back as a no match and that would put the prosecution case in disarray or it could come back as a match and then the defense could show their evidence proving it as being wrong, either from an error in the investigation or due to actual malice, either way it would again be extremely damaging to the prosecution.

Their refusal to have a retest tells me that whatever they card they may have to play is not enough to counter the DNA evidence of the prosecution, hence the refusal.

I understand, again from verbal dialogue, the Ace Card was from a female witness, which was outside the planned sequence of witnesses. The evidence seems very comprehensive, but reporting of the trial was from the defence, the prosecution respected the courts demands of no external communication, yes, no external reporting by media or social means, that's why many local newspapers dropped there interest.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, to some extent, but i don't have the full picture, maybe tomorrow but my understanding is DNA evidence does link the two accused to the crime, this was a driver behind the defence not wanting a retest, profiles do match.

Not very surprising though, that was the missing evidence from the prosecution case so far.

As for the defense not wanting to retest it, to me it is rather telling. If as they claimed they have evidence that contradicts the results I don't see why they would refuse to have the retest done, either it would come back as a no match and that would put the prosecution case in disarray or it could come back as a match and then the defense could show their evidence proving it as being wrong, either from an error in the investigation or due to actual malice, either way it would again be extremely damaging to the prosecution.

Their refusal to have a retest tells me that whatever they card they may have to play is not enough to counter the DNA evidence of the prosecution, hence the refusal.

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to work out the prosecution have the items for nearly a year. Stacked in a trolley somewhere?. They have had every opportunity to add substances to gain a positive result on a re-test.

The defence had the DNA taken in court upto Bangkok last Tuesday on the last flight out of Samui. Friday they had their results. Then announced we do not need anything else. We can prove our case.

As for David's phone my source tells me and their words.... Today

"The phone was apparently returned from UK as UK refused to examine it. Police said yesterday IMEI number said to be David's. No written conf. Phone not presented as evidence in court. Just arrived at court in box. First time phone was in court, 12 days into the trial. Prosecution say it is David's but no conclusive proof yet."

So as I said to YOU Ali G.. No evidence to confirm its Davids phone and you don't have it do you. if the court don't neither do you. Unless your mystic meg with a glass ball..

Actually perhaps you are?

Breaking News

Police: We didn’t beat Koh Tao murder suspects to confess

12:11 28 August 2015

Sarah Yuen in Thailand

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/police_we_didn_t_beat_koh_tao_murder_suspects_to_confess_1_4212625

The Burmese men accused of the Koh Tao backpacker murders were not threatened or beaten to confess, says a senior Thai police officer, who was present at most of their interrogations.

However, earlier in the court testimony, another police officer had said that a doctor was called for defendant Wei Phyo, after his first questioning session on the mainland, before he was taken back to Koh Tao, but one was “not available to examine him”. He apparently had bruising on his face.

Wei Phyo’s co-accused, Zaw Lin, was taken to hospital by prison officers in Koh Samui, after being transferred from Koh Tao, because he was complaining of chest pain. A cellmate of both men testified in court that he had personally seen the injuries on Zaw Lin’s body.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Breaking News

Sarah Yuen in Thailand

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/police_we_didn_t_beat_koh_tao_murder_suspects_to_confess_1_4212625

The Burmese men accused of the Koh Tao backpacker murders were not threatened or beaten to confess, says a senior Thai police officer, who was present at most of their interrogations.

However, earlier in the court testimony, another police officer had said that a doctor was called for defendant Wei Phyo, after his first questioning session on the mainland, before he was taken back to Koh Tao, but one was “not available to examine him”. He apparently had bruising on his face.

Wei Phyo’s co-accused, Zaw Lin, was taken to hospital by prison officers in Koh Samui, after being transferred from Koh Tao, because he was complaining of chest pain. A cellmate of both men testified in court that he had personally seen the injuries on Zaw Lin’s body.

That's just another copper lying, gets a bit tiresum.

Its like the old joke, how do you know when a Thai cop is lying, you can see his lips move.

I note the report says the Miller family are in court with an interpreter. I hope they have an independent interpreter and have not relied on the police to provide one. If the latter is the case, I bet I would do a better and more accurate job.

You can trust the police to have arranged one of the pancake men to interpret for them.

Everyone knows the ones that want this thread closed .

But how about for justice we completely stop replying to them .

Keeping this thread open is much more important than being trolled in.

I'm surprised you feel that way .

Nobody wants this thread closed I think . What we want is a fair discussion where you can have an opinion about something without being called a troll just because you do not agree in that theory or so called facts.

If I say to you that I think B2 are guilty I would probably be called a troll.

Now my personal opinion is that there is a chance that they could be guilty , or just witnessed the murder, but they could also be completely innocent. Just let us keep this thread going and just ignore anyone you disagree with.

This thread is open and should continue to be so until we have a verdict .

So would you care to explain why you `liked` the post that closed down the previous thread on this trial?

I understand, again from verbal dialogue, the Ace Card was from a female witness, which was outside the planned sequence of witnesses. The evidence seems very comprehensive, but reporting of the trial was from the defence, the prosecution respected the courts demands of no external communication, yes, no external reporting by media or social means, that's why many local newspapers dropped there interest.

Boys Book - verbal dialogue? ace card? female witness? outside the planned sequence of witnesses? What are you on about? Why are you posting here a year after the crimes? Enlightenment please.

let us not fight about this case slagging each other off because we have different views isn't a crime and doesn't merit this type of behaviour at the end of the day when all the evidence is presented we will have a result one way or the other,

'....Merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream.'

Uhmmmm, reality check time: The prosecution have already had nearly all their days ended, and what has been presented of value? Essentially nothing. Yes, we will have a result. We also had a result when the Bamian Buddha was bombed. We're not just looking for a result, we're looking for justice, we're hoping for some closure for victims' families, and we're looking to get the real criminals out of the public domain. If you have a daughter, sister or attractive farang woman friend under the age of 30, you'll know what that means. If she's blond and very cute (prancing around a Thai beach resort like Ko Tao, Phi Phi or Ko Pangnan), then the danger level rises.

UK authorities have nothing to do with this case. They should never have been "invited" in the first place. If thai nationals where murdered in UK would the Thai authorities be welcome over there to have a squiz at the evidence

Hello, anybody home? It was two Brits who got murdered. One would assume British citizens would be particularly interested in the case, plus finding and apprehending who really did the crime. There are many examples of officials from different countries cooperating on serious crimes. Just recently, Brits experts were allowed by Portuguese officials to investigate in Portugal. Similarly, Brits were invited by Dutch to investigate a crime in Holland. That's what open civilized first-world countries do. Countries with things to hide, like Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, China, North Korea, Zimbabwe ...try to keep many things hidden.

How rude....is your top shelf functioning. There are many examples of international assistance. Interpol is the obvious you. Also recent bombing in bkk. Thai authouities should inslist help from any country with superior skills. Such as USA and UK. Also as after Bali bombing Malaysia sort help from AU.

You compare this to this case where rightly or wrongly people have already been charged. Crazy thinking on your behalf. Did you notice the crime occurred in Thailand and people have been charged. Save your rant till after the verdict.

And this was October last year!

There is growing international concern over the murder investigation after a Thai forensic expert said the polices supposed evidence 'contradicted the principles of forensic science'

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/09/thailand-tourist-murders-confessions-trial_n_5958118.html

And what the hell is THAT MAN MON doing in this photograph being the two Burmese scapegoats! The same man that

threatened McAnna (accompanied by a policeman) and told him to go hang himself

walked all over the crime scene

assisted RTP on the beach

said it was himself in the CCTV - running man

owns the accommodation where Christina Annersley was found dead (post mortem results don't seem to be available yet?)

instructed a half blind gardener to put on gloves and move a murder weapon (accompanied by a policeman!)

See the pattern here? Cop at his side. Finger in too many pies. Stinks. This creep needs pinning down.

post-222787-0-05237700-1440791104_thumb.

Edited by catsanddogs

The officer told the judges that the clothes of the defendants had even been removed after the last interview session on Koh Tao to confirm they did not have any marks or bruises on their bodies.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/mobile/news/police_we_didn_t_beat_koh_tao_murder_suspects_to_confess_1_4212625

To confirm they did not have any marks or bruises on their bodies to who? Where is the photographic evidence of this? Or were the clothes removed for more sinister reasons? Is this another statement from RTP to cover their tracks and backs?

[snip] And what the hell is THAT MAN MON doing in this photograph being the two Burmese scapegoats!

I'm not so sure it is Mon in that photo C&D...I was thinking it could possibly be this fellow.

Edit to add enlarged image -

post-223466-0-93652000-1440794248_thumb.

post-223466-0-38922800-1440794271_thumb.

post-223466-0-39727200-1440794754_thumb.

Edited by Eirene

Oct 10

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/10/why-some-suspect-thailand-tortured-confessions-out-of-two-migrants-accused-of-beachfront-murders/

Now there’s confusion over the condoms. In the migrants’ purported confession, they said they hadn’t used a condom when sexually assaulting Witheridge — despite the fact police said their sperm was found on a condom linked to the scene.

Was the condom in the shopping trolley? Was it used as evidence in court?

BBC Myanmar correspondent Jonah Fisher said: "The Thai authorities may have thought that by charging two poor Burmese men with murder this case would quickly disappear from public view.

"If that's the case they were wrong."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29639997

How right Jonah Fisher was.

From that same article:

"Thailand's chief of police, General Somyot Poompanmoung, has admitted mistakes were made but said everyone involved in the case had worked to the best of their ability."

So the Judge(s) might ask in reaching a verdict, how can we expect our uniformed police to work better than the best of their ability.

The dirty truth.

Jaktip Chaijinda, deputy head of national police, said a quick resolution of the case would result in a speedy recovery of tourist numbers.

He went on: “Today the case should be finished. We want to clear it up as soon as possible so our tourist industry can bounce back.”

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said: “I think the tourist confidence will improve.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/thailand-beach-murders-police-defend-4374673

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

BBC Myanmar correspondent Jonah Fisher said: "The Thai authorities may have thought that by charging two poor Burmese men with murder this case would quickly disappear from public view.

From that same article:

"Thailand's chief of police, General Somyot Poompanmoung, has admitted mistakes were made but said everyone involved in the case had worked to the best of their ability."

So the Judge(s) might ask in reaching a verdict, how can we expect our uniformed police to work better than the best of their ability.

Maybe that should read 'our uninformed police'. A ship is only as good as its captain.

From that same article:

Maybe that should read 'our uninformed police'. A ship is only as good as its captain.

Maybe -- but it doesn't.

Edited by JLCrab

The dirty truth.

Jaktip Chaijinda, deputy head of national police, said a quick resolution of the case would result in a speedy recovery of tourist numbers.

He went on: “Today the case should be finished. We want to clear it up as soon as possible so our tourist industry can bounce back.”

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said: “I think the tourist confidence will improve.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/thailand-beach-murders-police-defend-4374673

The 'dirty truth' is also it seems to have worked. Koh Tao Pub Crawl 21 August, 2015:

11903867_936199523092961_799828981111209

[snip] And what the hell is THAT MAN MON doing in this photograph being the two Burmese scapegoats!

I'm not so sure it is Mon in that photo C&D...I was thinking it could possibly be this fellow.

Edit to add enlarged image -

with u on that

Follow

Koh tao trial day 12 finished. Prosecution still have 1 remaining witness that will require day 1 of defense starting on 1st Sept.

Follow

Koh Tao case defense witnesses scheduled start 1st Sept for 7 days (1-2,11,22-25) but likely pushed back 1/2-1 days for prosecution witness

Breaking News

Sarah Yuen in Thailand

That's just another copper lying, gets a bit tiresum.

Its like the old joke, how do you know when a Thai cop is lying, you can see his lips move.

it actually doesn't matter if they beat them - threatened them or whatever, they had no legal council and have since retracted any statements so what is the point of even taking about it

This is what really annoys me about this case, the police keep going on about something that shouldn't matter any more - you ^^^^^^^ up get over it

- I don't know if B2 are guilty or not, but I have so far seen no legally admissible evidence during this trial (I wish I had)

It is always up the prosecution to make a case in court, In my opinion they have failed to present anything at the most basic level to even qualify for a legal trial

I honestly cannot see this case surviving to next week, the prosecution did little more that say - they did it because we say so - they didn't present anything.....zero - nothing

I said this a month or so ago

The puncture wounds on Davids body were caused by a shark with only one tooth that was able to crawl on land and bite him on the beach, I am 100% sure they should be looking for a toothless shark

keep the feet for dancing

Andy Hall doesn't seem to have said anything about this female "star witness" that was produced yesterday, he's there, so where is this Briggsy/Tony guy getting their info from ?

OK posted above that Prosecution still has one more day for witness. Above there was a mention of 'admissible evidence'. If a Judge in Thailand chooses to admit the evidence, then it is admissible evidence whether or not a judge somewhere else might choose differently.

Edited by JLCrab

Not that I take your post at face value, but I think you are suggesting this. The prosecution ambushed the defense with a non scheduled witness right at the end of the last day of prosecution testimony, providing no real opportunity for the defense to mount a meaningful cross examination, or to question other prosecution witnesses about what this star witness had testified. In a Western court, whatever fans of Perry Mason might think, this is an absolute no-no. It would never have been allowed. As I said, though, I put as much faith in your verbal dialog as I do in the Thai policeman's report that the UK verbally identified the phone as belonging to David Miller.