Styptic Pencil etc

Pdavies99

I have never seen one however the crystal stick deodorants are composed of a similar product.. Alum.. And they sting like buggery on a cut so I think they will work. Available from loads of places. They don't stop you sweating but they do stop the smell. Probably best to avoid the scented ones though.

Oh the Pain, the pain !!

The barber I go to here in Chiang Mai uses a Bottle of some Stuff that does the same thing as a Styptic Pencil, I'll see if my wife can find out from him what it is called in Thai and let you know. Will be a couple of weeks before my next haircut.

Edited by Torrens54

I had to get mine sent in from the states but I did read that dabbing the cut with a Q-tip soaked with rubbing alcohol does about the same thing. Read it on line about six months ago. Alum was mentioned also.

You can buy the 12gm "Art of Shaving Styptic Pen" from Lazada.co.th on line for B556 delivered to your residence. Alternatively try asking for this in a Chemist. I used to be in the water treatment industry where Alum (Aluminium Sulphate( is US $200/tonne) so a kilo is only B7. If you are a cheap Charlie, ask a pool chemical supplier for a small sample and you can use that for free.

Edited by Estrada

In an emergency you can use any of the antacids available that contains calcium carbonate. In The USA the most common brands are TUMS and Rolaids. Not sure if either of these brand names are available in Thailand,but anything with calcium carbonate will stop minor bleeding from nicks and small cuts.

The Thai for Alum is "sarn som" and a block of it is very cheap and lasts for ever. Just wet it and rub it on.

Even our medium sized Tesco has the mentioned "Crystal sticks" for about 50 Baht or so.

Well hidden in some corner of the drugstore shelfs.

Not really a pencil. Thick like a roll-on.

post-99794-0-82139100-1439962666_thumb.j