Visitor Visa Refusal UK

Hello, had my wife's visit visa refused today from Bangkok.

My wife doesn't have land or a job as she was hoping to come over on a visit visa. She has a shop at her home and makes 8000฿ per month. She showed her bank statements with money going in from myself and the income from the shop. This was not enough. They wanted more proof. Are there any other ways around this or reasons my wife can use to get the visa? We're not trying to cause problems and I know my wife will return to Thailand with me at the end of her stay as I will return with her for my annual holiday.

Not amused as it's going to cost me another £90 for the application.

They basically said they didn't think my wife would return to Thailand and that's why we didn't get the visa, even though we proved we have lived together for 4 years.

Thanks for the help.

Darren

as has been stated before can you post the full refusal notice removing any names etc,as this will give them a better idea of the full reasons for refusal and i am sure one of the regular experts will be on and advise you on what you might be able to do to to reverse the decision next time,

I provided 6 months bank statements that shown i had a steady income of 2000 GBP per month. I didn't show savings as I didn't know I had to do so.

The account didn't have much money in it, not that I thought it mattered as I have a good income.

My wife supplied a letter written by herself saying he has a shop at her home earning approx 8000 THB per month but as with most shops of this size and nature she doesn't have any supporting documents. She did get her mum to write a letter saying she would look after the shop for the time my wife was in the UK.

This seems to be where we stumble.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Darren

post-134747-0-04942800-1440336697_thumb.

post-134747-0-02639100-1440336717_thumb.

Edited by jambco984

it's not going to be easy.

my refusal (similar circumstances) described me as a pimp, and the girl friend (yeh, I know) as a sex trade item.

i never applied again.

did you get approached by any "people who wanted to help you" as you left the embassy building ? ; by the way.

i felt like i needed a shower when i got out of that place

• Like 2

To repeat the obvious you need to satisfy the three key criteria of genuine relationship/reason for visit, financial adequacy and reasons to return.

Looking at the refusal letter they are actually doubting that sufficient funding exists for a 3 month visit, rather than reasons to return. In doubting the financial support they can than question the genuine reason for the visit. In this case you have left the door open for them to suggest that your wife may be going to work. That then allows them to question the certainty of returning to Thailand.

This is presumably her first visit ? For a first visit 3 months is along time and an ECO may well ask themselves how your wife could leave her self-employed business for so long.

• Like 1

To repeat the obvious you need to satisfy the three key criteria of genuine relationship/reason for visit, financial adequacy and reasons to return.

Looking at the refusal letter they are actually doubting that sufficient funding exists for a 3 month visit, rather than reasons to return. In doubting the financial support they can than question the genuine reason for the visit. In this case you have left the door open for them to suggest that your wife may be going to work. That then allows them to question the certainty of returning to Thailand.

This is presumably her first visit ? For a first visit 3 months is along time and an ECO may well ask themselves how your wife could leave her self-employed business for so long.

Yeah I just shown my income on the statements as this account just receives my salary then it gets moved about. I thought just showing earnings was enough. On my next application I will show savings.

Yes this is her first visit. If I was employed and not self employed then I could have my wife get a longer visa but because I've only been back in the UK for 7 months then I can't show my full earnings until the end of the tax year. Quite frustrating as we've been apart for 7 months.

Do you think if I show my savings and add some money to my wife's account not too much as it would raise more suspicion.

Also what extra documents could my wife show for the shop?

Thanks

it's not going to be easy.

my refusal (similar circumstances) described me as a pimp, and the girl friend (yeh, I know) as a sex trade item.

i never applied again.

did you get approached by any "people who wanted to help you" as you left the embassy building ? ; by the way.

i felt like i needed a shower when i got out of that place

Feel free to post that refusal letter.

Unless you can show adequate funds to pay for the stay, you are going to keep hitting the same issues.

The ECO is wondering how someone with an income of under £200 per month can afford the trip. They cannot see evidence that you have the resources to pay for the trip either. Your wife may be considered a higher risk of not returning within the terms of the visa.

You need to tidy up the finances, make it clear how your your wife's finances work, provide evidence that the trip is affordable and reapply. Is there a relative that could help sponsor the visit?

Nothing hideous in the rejection letter!

• Like 1

I provided 6 months bank statements that shown i had a steady income of 2000 GBP per month. I didn't show savings as I didn't know I had to do so.

The account didn't have much money in it, not that I thought it mattered as I have a good income.

(7b7 emphasis)

Your uploaded refusal notice wont open for me.

However, from what you say, it seems finances are the problem.

For a visit visa, it is not income that counts, it is whether there is the enough money available to pay for all the costs of the visit.

So it doesn't matter how much money is going into an account each month; if that account is empty by the end of each month where is the money to pay for the visit coming from?

So yes, you should have shown your savings.

BTW, your employment status is irrelevant when it comes to a visit visa; but will be relevant when (if) she applies for settlement.

Also, did you explain in this application why she is applying only for a visit and not for settlement? If not, I recommend doing so next time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks. Been busy making my millions :-)

Really appreciate all the advice. I will look at the way I put myself across and write more supporting points.

Any thoughts on what my wife can put across on her side reference work our reason to return? Although she has the shop it's more of a something to do. She doesn't have receipts or other business documents like others might have. Any thoughts?

And as always, thanks :-)

Really appreciate all the advice. I will look at the way I put myself across and write more supporting points.

Any thoughts on what my wife can put across on her side reference work our reason to return? Although she has the shop it's more of a something to do. She doesn't have receipts or other business documents like others might have. Any thoughts?

The ECOs in Bangkok are well aware of the, shall we say, casual way small businesses can operate in Thailand.

Does she have any documents concerning the business at all?

Anything showing she owns the shop or any other land?

As I said, for some reason I can't open the refusal notice; but did it mention her reason to return at all; or was it just finances?

In your supporting letter you should explain the details of her business.

In addition you should say why she is only visiting at this time and does not yet wish to settle in the UK with you and what your plans for the future are.

• 3 weeks later...

The ECOs in Bangkok are well aware of the, shall we say, casual way small businesses can operate in Thailand.

Does she have any documents concerning the business at all?

Anything showing she owns the shop or any other land?

As I said, for some reason I can't open the refusal notice; but did it mention her reason to return at all; or was it just finances?

In your supporting letter you should explain the details of her business.

In addition you should say why she is only visiting at this time and does not yet wish to settle in the UK with you and what your plans for the future are.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply as I've been working like a mad man.

My wife doesn't have any docs to prove she owns the shop as it's at her parents house. She doesn't own any land either. Since the application refusal and the lack of people frequenting the shop she has now closed it. The village she's from is only very small and most people work away, the ones left can't really afford to be going to the shop daily.

We really are back to square one with the reason to return side of things. All we want is to be together but it's getting harder.

I will show money in my account to support her/ myself and explain unlike last time that I send money monthly via western union and it can be seen in her bank statements.

Really don't know what to do at this stage, feeling very frustrated and don't have any answers.

Hope someone has some helpful thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

Darren

Not sure I can make helpful comments!

From an ECO's point of view your Thai spouse has few commitments in Thailand. She is being financially supported by someone from outside Thailand so there are few reasons to return. It would seem logical that a married couple would expect to live together therefore the likelihood of misusing the rules is higher.

It has been done before but you need to build up a detailed picture of why your wife is going to return to Thailand. What is the long term plan? If you are trying to meet the financial rules then tell them you are, show that the visit is affordable and make it clear that the applicant realises that failure to comply could have major impact on future applications!

Back to square one it is, Hole 1?

Apart from the married bit, now you are me, 6 years ago.

The uniforms clearly didn't think my bird/your wife were going to return to good'ol Thailand.

Consider carefully the way you reveal your new/latest set of circumstances during the next application.

Large changes in what had been previously claimed as supporting, may attract attention and suspicion.

Are you a praying man?