Who would want to attack a shrine in Bangkok?

webfact

Who Would Want To Attack A Shrine In Bangkok?
Thailand's PM suggests his "Red Shirt" political opponents may be to blame, while others point the finger at Islamist extremists.

LONDON: -- Who would want to attack the Erawan shrine in Bangkok - a site visited by thousands of ordinary Thais and tourists every day?

It is not immediately clear whether the shrine itself was the target, or whether the attackers simply chose it as a built-up area where they could inflict the maximum number of casualties.

The shrine is dedicated to Brahma, the Hindu god of creation, but it is also popular with Thai Buddhists.

The religious connection may be what led some to point the finger of suspicion at Islamist insurgents in the south of the country - concerns addressed by Royal Thai Army chief and deputy defence minister General Udomdej Sitabutr.

Separatists in the south of the country near the Malaysian border have been fighting for an independent state for decades, but they have never before launched attacks in Bangkok or targeted foreigners.

Their grievance goes back to the middle of the 20th century, when the Bangkok government imposed "Thaification" on people in the Patani region, who felt a closer affinity to their Malay neighbours and preferred to follow Islamic laws and customs.

Full story: http://news.sky.com/story/1537654/who-would-want-to-attack-a-shrine-in-bangkok

-- skyNEWS 2015-08-19

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Chambers of Chiang Mai University was interviewed by CNN yesterday, and discredited the theories of both the Uighurs and southern separatists. Apparently, high level peace talks between the gov't and the major separatists groups in the south have been underway since June. He repeated emphatically that the most likely culprits are factions within the police and military, unhappy with the reshuffle or for other domestic political reasons, with which we are all already too familiar.

In the past 10 years, there have been innumerable bombings in Bangkok connected to the political conflict-- no one disputes this. Even though the recent bombs were bigger and more deadly, it's more plausible that they are a continuation of what has been. Plus, in the political bombings no one ever takes credit.

It's like a dangerous stretch of beach where shark attacks occur often. One day, a swimmer's leg gets chomped off, though he didn't see a shark. Giant squid? Maniac seal? Terrible tuna? Shark is more likely.

My fear is that, if the bombings are linked to internal conflicts in the police or military, the resolution might be a negotiated settlement among them, kept secret from the public. The case goes unsolved and no justice gets done.

Paul Chambers of Chiang Mai University was interviewed by CNN yesterday, and discredited the theories of both the Uighurs and southern separatists. Apparently, high level peace talks between the gov't and the major separatists groups in the south have been underway since June. He repeated emphatically that the most likely culprits are factions within the police and military, unhappy with the reshuffle or for other domestic political reasons, with which we are all already too familiar.

In the past 10 years, there have been innumerable bombings in Bangkok connected to the political conflict-- no one disputes this. Even though the recent bombs were bigger and more deadly, it's more plausible that they are a continuation of what has been. Plus, in the political bombings no one ever takes credit.

It's like a dangerous stretch of beach where shark attacks occur often. One day, a swimmer's leg gets chomped off, though he didn't see a shark. Giant squid? Maniac seal? Terrible tuna? Shark is more likely.

My fear is that, if the bombings are linked to internal conflicts in the police or military, the resolution might be a negotiated settlement among them, kept secret from the public. The case goes unsolved and no justice gets done.

If you're applying Occam's razor, you need to apply all the obvious facts, one of which is that there's no precedent for Thais to do this kind of thing to each other, and another is that Thais are highly spiritual and would never in any case target a shrine.

Apply some sociology. Internal political bickering hardly accounts for this kind of extreme barbarity. This is an act of an enemy of Thailand.

Uigurs certainly have a grievance, and also the Turks, who have been standing up for the Uigurs and who showed aggression towards Thailand a few months ago. The Turks also suffered a terrible bombing in their own country, which could desensitize them to committing a similar atrocity, and which atrocity they may be likely to emulate in order to assert themselves.

Of course, it may simply be a lone wolf sociopath (cf Columbine shooting). In which case all theories fly out the window.

I do not really understand why all the efforts are concentrated on the shrine?

Shrine is the best location because the number of people around it.

Why no one mentioned the fact there are a number of 5 star hotels in the vicinity, an exclusive shopping mall, police headquarters, plus another 2 big shopping malls and a very busy BTS station, plus a very very heavily trafficked intersection.

About the 2006 bombings

A police investigation later determined that southern separatists were actually behind the bombings. Detonation circuits and other materials used to make the bombs were identical to those used by the Islamic insurgents.[11] However, the junta downplayed the role of the southern separatists, claiming they had been hired by people connected to the political turmoil in Bangkok.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Bangkok_bombings

I think i'll have my own opinion and conclusion this time.

If it's true that the guy took a motorcycle taxi from the scene, then it's most likely not a very organized attack. Probably just one person. That person could be a Muslim from abroad recently angered by how Thailand treated the Chinese minority, especially the PM calling them animals. Perhaps Indonesia, where his t-shirt is from.

Edited by tumama

No disrespect intended, but I think you view Thai society through rose-tinted bifocals:

There's no precedent for Thais to do this kind of thing to each other

Of course there is, if you count firing an RPG into a crowded train platform as "this kind of thing."

Thais are highly spiritual and would never in any case target a shrine.

I wish I could share your opinion, but sadly that's all it is.

Internal political bickering hardly accounts for this kind of extreme barbarity.

One man's "internal political bickering" is another man's historic struggle for justice or wealth or power. Such is always the rationalization of terrorist violence.

How about this: A psychopath with no concern for the pain of others, no empathy for anyone did this.

Do you mean the same mentality as the Islamic ISIL actions /killings ??

who target anyone who will not conform to their own kind---no matter what religion ??

Has it spread to Thailand ?? to target INFIDELS ?? would not surprise me. extremists from the Muslim south joining the same school.

If it's true that the guy took a motorcycle taxi from the scene, then it's most likely not a very organized attack. Probably just one person. That person could be a Muslim from abroad recently angered by how Thailand treated the Chinese minority, especially the PM calling them animals. Perhaps Indonesia, where his t-shirt is from.

So he is a lone muslim who had has just arrived in country, found his way round the city, picked his targets, bought a disguise, procured explosives built a few bombs, attacks a shrine one day and then detonates another device in another part of the city the next day !!!!

My response...... Too much Rambo, Jason Bourne and lack of medication dear boy......maybe stick with UFO's and contrails

How about this: A psychopath with no concern for the pain of others, no empathy for anyone did this.

Do you mean the same mentality as the Islamic ISIL actions /killings ??

who target anyone who will not conform to their own kind---no matter what religion ??

Has it spread to Thailand ?? to target INFIDELS ?? would not surprise me. extremists from the Muslim south joining the same school.

I wouldnt go as far as comparing our man in Dubai and the red faithful to ISIL, but he is a psychopath and lacking empathy unless it's fake empathy to forward his own agenda

These attacks have "reds" written all over them

The overwhelmingly likely scenario is that a terrorist network upset with the comments made about muslims and the deportation of muslims to China is behind the attacks. This really isn't that complicated.

No the most likely scenario is the reds kicking off again at the behest of a certain gentlemen who is paying them

So he is a lone muslim who had has just arrived in country, found his way round the city, picked his targets, bought a disguise, procured explosives built a few bombs, attacks a shrine one day and then detonates another device in another part of the city the next day !!!!

My response...... Too much Rambo, Jason Bourne and lack of medication dear boy......maybe stick with UFO's and contrails

TNT is not easy to get and not easy to cook yourself.

A good TNT bomb is difficult to make

That doesn't look like a 1 man operation.

The overwhelmingly likely scenario is that a terrorist network upset with the comments made about muslims and the deportation of muslims to China is behind the attacks. This really isn't that complicated.

Another overwhelmingly likely scenario is that this is a military black flag operation in order to justify a draconian crackdown and retention of power.

In fact, there are many overwhelmingly likely scenarios.

Another overwhelmingly likely scenario is that this is a military black flag operation in order to justify a draconian crackdown and retention of power.

In fact, there are many overwhelmingly likely scenarios.

No, actually that is not at all a likely scenario because this is real life not a James Bond movie.

He could have been here a while. If he knows English he should have no problem finding out where to buy the components for a bomb in Bangkok if he knows how to assemble one. Getting around is hardly a problem either. The two locations are hardly far apart.

What he did doesn't take a rocket scientist for. It does however take a lot of hatred and thirst for revenge.

No the most likely scenario is the reds kicking off again at the behest of a certain gentlemen who is paying them

You guys are hilarious. Well, everyone place their bets and we will find out sooner or later.

Soutpeel - Thaksin

Briggsy - The Military Government

Seann - International Terrorist Organization

We shall see boys.

Thailand needs to wake up to reality, and America is no different.... So what does that tell us? Dealt with Thailand for many years, and then it came down, to returning. I thought carefully, and to old timers there, that is the way it was then.... But it is not the way it is now. But I made my decision to stay here. Right now I do not regret it yet, but find I have a better ideal of what is going on, day-to-day.

Just my opinion, in end result? I will not build a house in Thailand, been there and done that. But at least when I built it, it was modest, not some 9 million baht mansion. I always loved living like the villagers, simple, easy, and not too difficult. Today it is not quite this way. Just my opinion....thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

And if my wife wants to return? I will buy you a one-way ticket.... It does not mean I am unhappy, it means we are all people....

If you're applying Occam's razor, you need to apply all the obvious facts, one of which is that there's no precedent for Thais to do this kind of thing to each other, and another is that Thais are highly spiritual and would never in any case target a shrine.

Apply some sociology. Internal political bickering hardly accounts for this kind of extreme barbarity. This is an act of an enemy of Thailand.

Uigurs certainly have a grievance, and also the Turks, who have been standing up for the Uigurs and who showed aggression towards Thailand a few months ago. The Turks also suffered a terrible bombing in their own country, which could desensitize them to committing a similar atrocity, and which atrocity they may be likely to emulate in order to assert themselves.

Of course, it may simply be a lone wolf sociopath (cf Columbine shooting). In which case all theories fly out the window.

Chambers is way off base. He completely ignores that we have two bombings, and both targeted ethnic-Chinese tourists. Look at the injury list from the Erawan bombing for the proof. Only a Uighur terrorist would have targeted Chinese tourists. Also, the backpack man is probably not a Thai, and does appear to be southern or western Asian. But, why would you expect proper analysis from a falang from Oklahoma playing professor in Chiang Mai? Please "Ajarn Paul", give me a break.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Who stands to benefit from trying to destabilize the government ?

Who in the past has shown a total disregard for human life ?

Who has shown themselves to be completely devoid of morals or principles ?

Who was responsible for all of the violence during recent political struggles ?

You got it !

This is interesting:

So half the people think that it is Thaksin because this bombing will hurt the military government and the other half says that it was the Military Government because it will help them retain power.

Great logic boys.

These attacks have "reds" written all over them

You guys watch too many movies.

Which movies can't remember seeing our poster boy OMID or the Rouge in any movies

Fact is the reds are as good a plausible theory as any of the other "theories" put forward on here and usually the most simple explanation is usually the correct one

Chambers is way off base. He completely ignores that we have two bombings, and both targeted ethnic-Chinese tourists. Look at the injury list from the Erawan bombing for the proof. Only a Uighur terrorist would have targeted Chinese tourists. Also, the backpack man is probably not a Thai, and does appear to be southern or western Asian. But, why would you expect proper analysis from a falang from Oklahoma playing professor in Chiang Mai? Please "Ajarn Paul", give me a break.

No they haven't targeted ethnic Chinese, they have targeted predominantly tourist areas which just happens to have had numbers of Chinese tourists - all the bombs targeted were human beings

The injury list proves nothing given 1 Chinese tourists typically travel in large groups where other foreigners don't therefore in a tourist area where there are Chinese about one would expect there to be more of them per nationality

Where is the proof backpack man is not Thai, never mind he is a Uiger ?

Your logic is flawed and grabbing at straws

your " facts " prove nothing

Edited by Soutpeel