Underpass?

Felt 35

That intersection is 1 of 2 places assigned for an underpass.

Yes and the other is Chalong Circle. I just read an article that underpass is going to start construction in September. Maybe I will be looking for a new place to live after all. I'm not sure if I can put up with at least two years of construction at Chalong Circle. Have the other underpasses improved traffic flow?

That intersection is 1 of 2 places assigned for an underpass.

[...] Have the other underpasses improved traffic flow?

Why are you using the plural? Until now I know of only one (almost) functional underpass on the island.

sad.png So for the relatively huge amount of Thai / Foreign cyclist who live around town and regularly cycle to the airport weekly and Sarasin in the weekends this means full stop when the Bang Khu and Tesco intersection is finished, assumed that bicycling not will be permitted in the underpasses!

sad.png So for the relatively huge amount of Thai / Foreign cyclist who live around town and regularly cycle to the airport weekly and Sarasin in the weekends this means full stop when the Bang Khu and Tesco intersection is finished, assumed that bicycling not will be permitted in the underpasses!

How does that change from the current situation? In both cases for bicycle riders the only option is to wait if there is a red light.

The one open underpass has definitely improved the flow of traffic past Central. When the second one at Tesco opens I would expect a fairly good north-south-north passage through both intersections.

Traffic not permitted in the underpasses will use the slip roads above them.

The one open underpass has definitely improved the flow of traffic past Central. When the second one at Tesco opens I would expect a fairly good north-south-north passage through both intersections.

Good south to north I agree but north to south not so, unless they sort out the road past Phrompan.

Good south to north I agree but north to south not so, unless they sort out the road past Phrompan.

Since the tunnel opened I've always moved smoothly past Central going south. Continuing traffic problems at bottlenecks further down can't be blamed on the underpass.

How does that change from the current situation? In both cases for bicycle riders the only option is to wait if there is a red light.

Hmm........ I think you misunderstand me. The group rides meet up nearby the Rajabhat Intersection 0600 / 0630 am. Pr. today we can cycle past Bang Khu just as 10-15 years ago. When the underpass is finished and due to no bicycle / motorbike access in the underpasses where do we ride to get North and North East on the island unless riding through town, pass central over to Patong and to Thalang.

Btw, we don't really like to drive cars with the bicycles halfway to Phang nga for exercise (ride) if possible to avoid.

Hmm........ I think you misunderstand me. The group rides meet up nearby the Rajabhat Intersection 0600 / 0630 am. Pr. today we can cycle past Bang Khu just as 10-15 years ago. When the underpass is finished and due to no bicycle / motorbike access in the underpasses where do we ride to get North and North East on the island unless riding through town, pass central over to Patong and to Thalang.

Btw, we don't really like to drive cars with the bicycles halfway to Phang nga for exercise (ride) if possible to avoid.

You can still drive the exact same route. The road on top doesn't go away. Similar to the intersection at Central which is still there albeit the new underpass adding a straight-through for cars. Put another way: the underpass doesn't replace the intersection, just adds a tunnel under it.

I herby stand corrected.wai.gif Maybe time to get around with car / motorbike and try the Central underpass. On another note, I haven't been to Central since some relatives was here on holiday nearly 4 years ago and I don't even want to mention how long ago it is since I last was to the more famous beach/party destination in Phuket. However neither areas is my cup of tea.

For the life of me I don't see why they couldn't keep the roundabout and put lights as well. I know they tried lights and took the circle out but the lights here tend to be a joke so it did not work.

Have both and station the BIB to control and properly prosecute those who ignore the rules.

Would save a fortune and be more income for the BIB!

Roundabouts are usually much much safer than traffic lights because of the reduced speed and more awareness. They also in many cases help slightly with the throughput.

But in Chalong the throughput is so much less than what it needs to be that it doesn't even matter. You need either more lanes or an under/overpass or alternative routes.

Or, because you know how mind bogingly bad authorities are here with planning and enforcing, move away so you don't have to deal with the crap :)