Thai to Laos border run

I have all my paperwork to apply for a ED visa and learn Thai here for 12 months. I have been told to go to Vietene to get it approved.

My question is - should I take the extra time and fly or go by organised bus?

It is actually a little cheaper to fly, but I need to get to BKK the night before, book a hotel and get taxi to airport as the flight is at 9.30am. Then i am basically on my own as far as getting to the embassy etc.

Or I take the bus for 8000 baht - my issue is the number of accidents on the roads and I am too young to die on a thai road because the driver fell asleep!

Flying means i will be in Laos for 2 or 3 nights which isnt an issue as I love to take a tour etc. So all up its a 5 day trip

Who has done the bus trip from Pattaya and do you recommend it or not?

If you got the money I suggest you go with the flight.. Its a long journey in a bus, 10-11 hours?

Have you visa applications and you paperwork ready before you leave makes thing go quick and less stress..

You can download both visa applications from:

It is 8000 baht for the bus.

I have all the paperwork but I am trying to find others who have done it to see if it safe.

Flying means going to BKK on day 1, booking hotel and cb rides etc. Day 2 get to airport by 6am then fly to Vientene, arrive at 12 pm so Embassy is closed for applications. Day 3 go to Embassy and apply. Day 4 go back and pick up visa but no flights back to BKK (they leave at 11am) Day 5 fly to BKK then travel back to Pattaya.

So its 11 hours each way by bus but 5 days flying. The main thing is I want the safest option!

8000baht. Are you crazy. My chick gets bus from udon thani to pattaya. I think its about 500. About 11 hours.

Here is a suggestion since you have time. AirAsia sept 10 return 17. Don't mueang to UT. 1000 baht return.

Stay a night at top mansion 450. Nice bars.

Around corner mini bus to nongkhai 50. Get the 8am. Or earlier. Friendship bus 15. Share a cab to consulate best option or tuktuk 100 per person. Stay Vientiane night or 2. Back to udon. Relax for night or 2 ...fly back bkk.

BTW.....don't take offence but if your only doing the "learn Thai" thing to stay in this wonderful country for a year, there are legal alternatives. Such as multiple entry tourist visas etc. A couple with maybe a visa exempt stamp at some stage and bingo. I'm not sure how much language courses cost, but couple of friends had private tutor and worked well for them. I have been here 3 years and happy with the very very basics.

It's not a 5 day trip. I went on a Sunday evening, arrived at the embassy first thing Monday, and collected my visa on the Tuesday. Flew out again weds morning. 3 nights in what was actually a very pleasant city.

It's not a 5 day trip. I went on a Sunday evening, arrived at the embassy first thing Monday, and collected my visa on the Tuesday. Flew out again weds morning. 3 nights in what was actually a very pleasant city.

Your correct Richie. I guess my point is you can make it short trip or a bit of a break from where you live. I love staying UT and from my brief exposure to Vientiane I found it very chilled.

With some flights so cheap I'm surprised people don't even fly to places like HCMC. Easy consulate and great city for a week break. I go in 5 days. 1500 baht return. Yes visa costs to vietnam also need to be paid

• Like 1

Joe. You fly to UT on any given day. Next morning minibus to nongkai. Must leave by 8am. They run every 30 minutes. You will eventually get to consulate before 11am. Hand your stuff in and go check into hotel in Vientiane. Next day go back consulate then back to UT either stay a night or fly bkk depending on your flight.

There is also bus service direct to nongkai from UT airport if you don't wish to stay in UT. still will take 2 nights. Or relax and stretch out the trip. Up to you

LOL - love your responses and yes the 8000 is for the convenience of having it all done for you. I am a white single female (I know a rare thing in Pattaya) and an too young for the retirement Visa.

Have already paid the 15k for the ED visa, now just need it stamped.

I know the local buses are cheaper but so many accidents I am really super hesitant at taking one and trust me, I don't usually take much convincing to do something crazy. But my radar is saying they are worse than a crazy idea!

Yes the 8000 trip is a commercial business aimed at Farang, I am all aware of that, I just want to get there and back unharmed and see my kids again!

lol

Multiple re-entry visa?

I want to learn Thai - so this gives me 12 months without any drama and then maybe go for the multiple re-entry. (still too young for retirement)

Did I mentiion that I am single Aussie girl? lol

How did you manage to spend 15K on an Ed visa?

What is it that needs stamping ?

You will not get a one year multi entry Ed visa anywhere in the region.

I am unsure what you believe a "multiple re entry" to be but it will not , on its own, allow you to remain in Thailand

• Like 1

I am here on a 2 x 90day visa stamped from Embassy in Perth Australia, then went to Vietname to get my 2nd 90 day, then left and came back on a 30 day visa then extended for another 30 days.

Vientene Embassy is the easiest to get approval from without having to spend $1500 AUD to fly back to Perth to get the approval.

I never mentioned multi ed visa - I know there is no such thing.

This is what you mentioned

"Multiple re-entry visa?

I want to learn Thai - so this gives me 12 months without any drama and then maybe go for the multiple re-entry. (still too young for retirement)"
Which Multiple re-entry visa and multiple re entry are you interested in ?
  • Like 1

If I were you I'd fly.

If by bus you are talking about the mini buses that do these border runs I don't have experience from Pattaya but I do from Bangkok. It's a horrible trip. 10 hours cramped in a small space with everyones luggage. And the drivers are maniacs. If you can get on a VIP coach that would be better but it's still a long journey. 8000k should buy you a limo.

I assume the 15k you've paid is to the school or an agent to get the paperwork needed to apply for your visa. If the 15k is towards tuition fees then fair enough otherwise I'd also question why you've paid this amount.

Have a good trip, however you decide to travel.

Thanks - the 8000 is now standard price for a luxury bus with drinks, movies etc.

Yes all the paperwork is done, and signed off by an official in BKK - the school has done all the application and paperwork and thats it for the 12 months.

• Like 1

Thanks - the 8000 is now standard price for a luxury bus with drinks, movies etc.

Yes all the paperwork is done, and signed off by an official in BKK - the school has done all the application and paperwork and thats it for the 12 months.

Obviously taken for a ride all be it in luxury. Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

800 or 8000 thousand for the bus ?

It's was costing around 700 baht from Pattaya to Udon Thani that's for a vip air bus. Then there is the cost of regular bus to Nong Khai I think is about 50baht.

It is possible to get a vip bus to Vienntiene but you have to get a visa before travel.

As for accidents :- The mountain road on way to Korat has frequent accidents but I think the VIP buses are usually ok.

Spend a day or two in Nong Khai very nice town and hotels are inexpensive.

Sorry but but you will not be "done for 12 months"

An Ed visa will provide an initial 90 day stay, you will then, with paperwork supplied by the school have to apply for an extension of stay at immigration. The extension will be for a maximum of 90 days and could be less. At the end of each extension another will have to be applied for. You can , if your school has the necessary approval, stay in country for a maximum of 12 months from the date of entry. A new visa is then required.

A post and reply to it have been removed.

The point has been made that the bus trip can be done for much less and OP has made clear she knows this but prefers the package she has signed onto. Leave it at that please.

• Like 1

Well for 900 Baht you could catch a ride on the daily Bangkok-Vientiane bus that leaves daily at 8pm from Mo Chit, getting into Vientiane (at least the border) around 6am, which is also the time the border opens.

Do you have problems with reading ?

A Mod just requested that the issue of the cost of buses be left alone ............................

.sick.gif

I would of gone double entry tourist visas from savannakhet, the ed visa is a rip off & big pain even for those actually learning thai, you could learn thai on tourist visas & have far less expense & hassle ... pattaya immigration good at giving problems too :-/

• Like 2