No long-term threat seen in Bangkok blasts: experts

webfact

No long-term threat seen in Bangkok blasts: experts
BY ATSUSHI KODERA

TOKYO: -- Crisis management experts say Bangkok’s recent bombings do not pose a long-term threat in an otherwise relatively safe country. But they are nonetheless advising Japanese staying in the Southeast Asian city to exercise caution.

“Basically I don’t think Thailand right now is too dangerous,” said Tetsuo Masuda, who heads Japan I-Sis Consulting Co., a Tokyo-based crisis management consultancy. “But I always say this: There is no zero-risk place in the world.”

Thailand started experiencing political turmoil in the second half of 2013. But the country has remained politically stable, with no major risks for violence, since the military regime took over the country in a May 2014 coup.

But Masuda warns it’s hard to tell whether there are clashes of interests and opinions within the military regime, saying “there’s no place in the world as safe as Japan.”

“I think Japanese companies (in Bangkok) were shocked by the bombing,” he said.

The explosion on Monday night struck a commercial center near the Erawan Shrine, an area filled with tourists. It killed at least 20 people and injured 125, including Japanese company employee Kota Ando.

There was a second blast nearby on Tuesday but nobody was injured, according to media reports. No one has claimed responsibility for either blast, but police have been searching for a suspect seen on security camera wearing a yellow shirt.

Full story: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/19/national/no-long-term-threat-seen-bangkok-blasts-experts/

-- The Japan Times 2015-08-20