Thailand asks for Interpol's help in tracking Bangkok bombing suspect

webfact

Thailand asks for Interpol's help in tracking Bangkok bombing suspect

LONDON: -- Thailand has asked Interpol for help in tracking down the man who they believe planted a bomb in Bangkok that killed at least 20 people.

Thai investigators believe the bombing of a Bangkok shrine was carried out by "a network", as police focus on a suspect seen on CCTV leaving a backpack 20 minutes before the explosion.

A sketch of the suspect has been released by police, with a one million baht (£18,000) reward offered to anyone providing information leading to this arrest.

Full story: http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-08-20/bangkok-bombing-thailand-asks-for-interpol-help/

-- ITV 2015-08-20

"OK Thailand, lets see the forensic evidence left behind by the bomb" "No have . We clean right away. Make like new. Tourist happy. OK?"

"Well, the list of names associated with cellphones in use in the area" "No have. 16,000,000 not registered. We still let use. Everybody happy. OK?"

"Video of suspect as he move through Bangkok?" "90% of camera not work. Need money for other things. Tourist think work, feel happy. OK?"

"Photos of people entering Thailand at airports and from immigration?" "No have. Computer not work. Just act like camera work. Only for collect money. Make bad man happy. OK?"

"OK Thailand, lets see the forensic evidence left behind by the bomb"

"No have . We clean right away. Make like new. Tourist happy. OK?"

"Well, the list of names associated with cellphones in use in the area"

"No have. 16,000,000 not registered. We still let use. Everybody happy. OK?"

"Video of suspect as he move through Bangkok?"

"90% of camera not work. Need money for other things. Tourist think work, feel happy. OK?"

"Photos of people entering Thailand at airports and from immigration?"

"No have. Computer not work. Just act like camera work. Only for collect money. Make bad man happy. OK?"

Please don't be so degenerating. Quite a lot of internationally wanted criminals have been arrested in the Kingdom thanks to the immigration pics. Surely there's much one can blame authorities for, but one cannot blame a country for not being on the level of western countries.

"90% of camera not work. Need money for other things. Tourist think work, feel happy. OK?"

"No have. Computer not work. Just act like camera work. Only for collect money. Make bad man happy. OK?"

Unfortunately it probably very true

Please don't be so degenerating. Quite a lot of internationally wanted criminals have been arrested in the Kingdom thanks to the immigration pics. Surely there's much one can blame authorities for, but one cannot blame a country for not being on the level of western countries.

Other countries are on the level of western countries and haven't had nearly the amount of tourism and exposure to western culture as Thailand have...

The fact is that Thai authorities only want help when they can dripfeed the information they want to give away to the people helping...

They want it to make it look like they are accepting help without actually accepting it

I think USS Enterprise was being facetious, as there's a degree of truth in his humor. BTW one can blame a country for not being on the level of some more advanced countries (western & eastern BTW, think Japan, Taiwan & S.Korea)

It is called being afraid of "losing face". Rather than saying " Guys we have a major problem here and any help you can offer will be much valued and appreciated", the Thais, and no doubt some others of similar mindset, seem to enjoy bumbling on their own.

Why would Interpol want to help out, in what many in the big house are saying that this is internal ?

PM, you need to keep your mouth closed and don't offer opinions, wait for your investigation team to present you with "facts"

The problem here is that the Junta is split in to their beliefs as to whom is responsible, one minute its an "Arab looking man" , the next it's Thaksin's mental red head cases, the next it's "foreigners" ...

So how about using article 44 to prevent such misinformation from spreading, as you've only got yourself to blame, next you'll be asking the press to help, after telling them to toe the line and how to do their jobs!!

Both the UK and Australia offered assistance to the RTP but the offer was declined by the Thai government.

That the Thai government ask assistance from Interpol is very much a no no because Interpol needs names for a warrant/red notice. The Thai police should cooperate with every law enforcement agency in Asia because those people's are Asians, possible Malays, Indonesians, Mainland Chinese or maybe even from Chechnya.

Bangkok Bombing: Police Turn to Interpol as Investigation Stalls
By Khaosod English

14400510201440051312l.jpg
Charge d'affaires W. Patrick Murphy, the top American diplomat in Thailand, pays his respects Wednesday at the Erawan Shrine where a bomb attack killed at least 20 people on Monday night.

BANGKOK — While the search continues for the prime suspect in Monday’s terror attack, police have added two more unidentified suspects to their hunt and, three days into the investigation, reached out today for international help.

Three days after the Erawan Shrine bombing killed 20 people in downtown Bangkok, the widening investigation has failed to locate or identify any suspects, prompting police to request aid from Interpol in tracking down members of a network they now say includes no fewer than 10 people.

Deputy national police spokesman Kissana Phathancharoen confirmed to Reuters they formally requested help from Interpol.

That comes as investigators said two more people are being sought who are seen in widely circulated video taken before the attack.

In the pre-attack footage which went public Tuesday, one man wearing a red T-shirt can be seen standing up from a bench upon the arrival of the suspected bomber, wearing a yellow T-shirt, who immediately takes his seat and removes his backpack.

“When the yellow shirt man walked to the Shrine, the red shirt man stood up, emptying the bench, and the yellow shirt man sat there instead,” police spokesman Prawuth Thawornsiri told reporters. “At the same time, the red shirt man and the white shirt man stood in an angle that looks like giving cover to the yellow shirt man as he puts down his backpack. After that, the red shirt man and the white shirt man left the crime scene.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440051020

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-20

The fact that they have asked Interpol's help is an admission that the bomber and his accomplices have already slipped across the border, and neither RPT nor immigration have a clue as to who they were, when they arrived and when they left. I'm sure Somyot is just waiting for his retirement, and this investigation will no longer be on his desk, or a potential cause for his early dismissal from service.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Why weren't they arrested at immigration as opposed to inside the country? Immigration is essentially corrupt in Thailand.

Working fine last time I entered,... last 90 day report the officer entered my new passport number showing me and telling me I can do online next time... Saw my photo at airport immigration on the monitor as she looked up my file... Ohhh and her English was excellent....

Why weren't they arrested at immigration as opposed to inside the country? Immigration is essentially corrupt in Thailand.

Many times the police are informed after the criminals have slipped in. Immigration on the border is corrupt for accepting petty bribes, but those at the airport pretty much have no way to accept a bribe and allow criminals in. Most foreign criminals enter by air.

Your so right. I signed up in 2007 and posted often. I rarely visit now. Opening up to find a snide sarcastic comment like this reminded my why I am not bothered opening TV now. Good reply.

It isn't clear what or who "Thailand" is in this headline but presumably it's the Thai Police. Who, of course, don't know that calling for Interpol's assistance is as relevant as asking the help of the Andorran Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Mushrooms. Very T.I.T.

PM decline help from UK and ask police officers to watch "Blue Blood" series to learn some tips and techniques so they can catch criminals. A new low for Thailand's government, simply unbelievable. Perhaps it was light hearted chat with reporters, but wrong time wrong place to make a comment like that.

Your so right. I signed up in 2007 and posted often. I rarely visit now. Opening up to find a snide sarcastic comment like this reminded my why I am not bothered opening TV now. Good reply.

Dont forget to close the tab on the way out again. wai2.gif

Edited by englishoak

RTP seem to be running around like headless chickens and reporting to the military junta who take the small amount of information from RTP and then they themselves run about like headless chickens and everyone issuing silly statements telling us nothing to keep the public up to date on the bombers hunt, this whole thing is just going to be another Thai farce

Many times the police are informed after the criminals have slipped in. Immigration on the border is corrupt for accepting petty bribes, but those at the airport pretty much have no way to accept a bribe and allow criminals in. Most foreign criminals enter by air.

If u know it and I know it, why would he bother to come thru the airport. Visas are complete bent in Thailand and anything can be arranged to extend ur stay for years for a fee.

They had Asavahame living in the country for years.

If u know it and I know it, why would he bother to come thru the airport. Visas are complete bent in Thailand and anything can be arranged to extend ur stay for years for a fee.

That's a load of crap about visas - if you have any real evidence then post it. And what has Asavahame got to do with visas?

You used to be a sensible poster but you seem to have degenerated into a criticise everything for the sake of criticism.

I almost feel sorry for the police who are really trying to solve this with posters asinine comments not helping anything other than their ego.

That's a load of crap about visas - if you have any real evidence then post it. And what has Asavahame got to do with visas?

You used to be a sensible poster but you seem to have degenerated into a criticise everything for the sake of criticism.

I almost feel sorry for the police who are really trying to solve this with posters asinine comments not helping anything other than their ego.

U have obviously never been to KKC immigration. I know of several foreigners who got visas without meeting the financial requirements. I got one arranged myself by a lawyer in Bangkok without having to exit the country . Anything van be arranged if necessary

Wasn't asavahme supposed sitting in cambodia for years. Presumably immigration said he had been.... How did he magically never leave or get back?

If u think immigration or customs isn't bent up to you. Just informing my experience to people.

Ok, it isn't bent. Happy now. Or in my experience of Thailand, it is, so u not happy now.

The fact that they have asked Interpol's help is an admission that the bomber and assumed accomplices are all aliens.

But what does the Junta expect from Interpol with no biometrics, ID, names of associates, organization, race, nationality, etc. on the suspects?

While Thai police have no problem issuing arrest warrants on John Does, Interpol needs something more to provide assistance.

U have obviously never been to KKC immigration. I know of several foreigners who got visas without meeting the financial requirements. I got one arranged myself by a lawyer in Bangkok without having to exit the country . Anything van be arranged if necessary

Wasn't asavahme supposed sitting in cambodia for years. Presumably immigration said he had been.... How did he magically never leave or get back?

If u think immigration or customs isn't bent up to you. Just informing my experience to people.

Ok, it isn't bent. Happy now. Or in my experience of Thailand, it is, so u not happy now.

Correct in that I've never been to KKC immigration wherever that is (Khon Kaen?). But you made a sweeping statement and anecdotal 'evidence' doesn't prove anything.

Yes, many years ago (17 or so) I had a visa arranged in exactly the same manner as you describe - without leaving the country. AFAIK that's been stopped for quite a while now.

Although I doubt that Asavahame's case had anything to do with visas or immigration - more likely the FM - I've no doubt that those with big money & influence can buy their way anywhere in the country.

No I don't doubt that immigration can be bought but mostly they abide by the law even though their imterpretation can vary from office to office.

Thanks for the clarification.

So what's your point? That a foreigner if he had ill intent could have bought his way into a visa if he wanted to?

If so, why rant at me?

Immigration in Thailand is porous for criminals if they need access. Didn't they arrest one of the Tamil tigers who had been sitting in Thailand forn10 years or so? Didn't they catch an Indian accused of a bombing in Bangkok after years in Thailand.? Didn't they arrest a bloke making passport to order in Bangkok a year or so ago? Didn't the Iranian bloke blow himself up whilst running in central Bangkok.

Thus, getting people into the country along with the gear to do it, wouldn't be hard, which was my original point.

You rant about Thailand - I rant about you. Given that most foreigners can get a VOA & those that can't can easily get one at a Thai embassy where they live, why the conspiracy about buying a visa?

No, your original point was that visa are completely bent. They're not.

In any case it's now about if & how the main suspect got out of the country.