Do you read and rely on Tripadvisor reviews?

konying

I am sure most people know Tripadvisor and no doubt many rely on reviews posted on there.

Business have very little to no control at all

I am a hotel owner, and the other day received a bashing review.

Tripadvisor claims to have strict controls in place to filter fraud and their reviews are genuine

There was nothing specific to pin point the guest, so i went through all the bookings looking for a name used to write a review, none found.

This was a new member, who had written 2 reviews, one for my place, trashing it and another for another place in another town praising it.

Since i could not pin point the person from the review and from the name or location, i reported this review to Tripadvisor as being suspicious

Below is the response i received( i am underlining the key point

Dear TripAdvisor Listing Owner,

Thank you for expressing your concern about the following review:

We have completed our investigation into your concern and have found that the review in question complies with our submission guidelines. This review will remain published on TripAdvisor.

We do not require that our members choose screen names that would divulge their identity in any way. All members on our site are anonymous unless they decide to include their real name or email address in their review or profile.

If you have not already done so, we encourage you to use our management response feature, which lets you respond to the review and tell your side of the story. Your management response will appear alongside the review it refers to, so that travelers can read both perspectives.

For more helpful tips and information about our services including management responses, please visit the Management Center:
www.tripadvisor.com/owners.

Your property is an important part of the TripAdvisor travel community and
we appreciate your participation.

Best regards,

So, Tripadvisor appreciates my participation? but did they ever asked if i wanted to participate?

It is not possible to remove the business even if the ownership has been changed.

Tripadvisor suggests to respond and tell my side of the story? How on earth can one do that, when Tripadvisor does not require people to use real names or emails or anything to identify who or what the problem was?

Now, how can any reviews written on Tripadvisor be genuine when Tripadvisor allows for people to be anonymous without having to show any reference at all?

With Agoda or booking, at least for someone to write a review, they must have had a valid booking, with Tripadvisor one does not need any proof, not even a real name or email address.

So basically anyone can join, write any crap about competitor or an ex or to help a friend and its supposedly "genuine"

Just wanted to let people know how Tripadvisor works, so next time you making a booking, keep in mind that reviews are NOT verified and may well be far from truth.

I would stick to booking sites reviews to have at least some genuine feeling.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I contribute regularly to TA and try to give honest reviews. First thing I do in the morning after waking up.

Obviously if you feel you have been dishonestly reviewed, you can ask a guest to give you a good review. I use TA when I am near a new destination and I am looking for a place to stay. I don't just look at the first review, and I have occasionally turned away from a hotel that has good reviews at the reception. You can answer the bad review on TA, voicing your suspicions that maybe this was an isolated case... or that you never received complaints from anyone.

I contribute regularly to TA and try to give honest reviews. First thing I do in the morning after waking up.

Obviously if you feel you have been dishonestly reviewed, you can ask a guest to give you a good review. I use TA when I am near a new destination and I am looking for a place to stay. I don't just look at the first review, and I have occasionally turned away from a hotel that has good reviews at the reception. You can answer the bad review on TA, voicing your suspicions that maybe this was an isolated case... or that you never received complaints from anyone.

You missed the point, Its not about how i feel its about TA policy. Their policies give zero credibility to anything written because anyone can write anything.

Do not need to state booking number, which dates, what room type, NOTHING at all.

We do not require that our members choose screen names that would divulge their identity in any way. All members on our site are anonymous unless they decide to include their real name or email address in their review or profile.

Then why dont you do as suggested and write a response the to critic? See it all the time.

I rely on rebiews from many sites, not just one. Though I usually disregard overly critical or overly nice reviews, also when considering a review I consider the nationality of the critic.

The internet has been around a while now, so most people are used to taking what they read with a pinch of salt. Tripadvisor reviews are no exception - you learn to filter out the more ridiculous ones.

As others have said, a well-written response can actually make you like the place more.

Then why dont you do as suggested and write a response the to critic? See it all the time.

I rely on rebiews from many sites, not just one. Though I usually disregard overly critical or overly nice reviews, also when considering a review I consider the nationality of the critic.

You also missed the point.

Firstly its not about me.

Secondly, to write what? about what? there is no identifying elements.

Example: someone writes TV does not work and its a fake review

How do you respond? TV work?

Another example genuine review posted on booking,: TV did not work. and in reality TV did not work. Hotel can respond, yes we apologize, TV did not work, and it was replaced within such and such time or rooms was changed.

Of course hotel or any business can respond with many answers, the problem is these fake reviews not only damage business reputation, but also damage its ranking.

TripAdvisor under fire over fraud detection http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9160472/TripAdvisor-under-fire-over-fraud-detection.html

The internet has been around a while now, so most people are used to taking what they read with a pinch of salt. Tripadvisor reviews are no exception - you learn to filter out the more ridiculous ones.

As others have said, a well-written response can actually make you like the place more.

Totally agree with you

What shocked me is the blunt statement by TA, basically accommodating fake reviews, instead of combating it, while claiming to have genuine reviews from genuine people

Another example genuine review posted on booking,: TV did not work. and in reality TV did not work. Hotel can respond, yes we apologize, TV did not work, and it was replaced within such and such time or rooms was changed.

Of course hotel or any business can respond with many answers, the problem is these fake reviews not only damage business reputation, but also damage its ranking.

TripAdvisor under fire over fraud detection http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9160472/TripAdvisor-under-fire-over-fraud-detection.html

If you cannot find evidence of the poster having stayed and consider it fake then write a fake response to it saying he never paid for the room or such things.

You have a right of reply. Use it.

If you cannot find evidence of the poster having stayed and consider it fake then write a fake response to it saying he never paid for the room or such things.

You have a right of reply. Use it.

Second time, hopefully it will sink for you.

It is NOT about me, it is about TA policy

Please do try to keep up

I rarely waste time reading TA reviews and I certainly never trust them.

Many seem to have been written by idiots or shills, and often enough the review is for a completely different establishment with a similar name.

The rankings are particularly inaccurate.

That TA "recommendations" are apparently delivered to anyone who can pay for one also doesnt give me much confidence.

i use a FAKE name but give REAL reviews.

because i know they might remember my name, check records, or whatever...

sometimes my username is Sandy and my real name is Mike......it really isn't Mike...this is an example

there is no way i want the owner to know who i am........

as far as their policy...whatever. if their algorithm can't pick up a fake one, whatever...

YELP stock is going to zero........

i say sue TA for fraud and make billions....not you, the owner....or anyone..

i might sue them for false advertising...

note: i always hire 1,000 people from BKK to write 5-star reviews for my place...

allows me to make free money!!!

game the system....i also have them write 1-star reviews for everyone else..

then i buy their hotels for pennies..

easy money

First, replying to a review doesn't me it "about you", stop to take the comments here personally. The best thing you can do is indeed to post a reply on TA.

Secondly - you really don't a have a clue what to write?

Something along the lines of:

"We are very sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. We take custoemr experience very seriously, and following the review, hotel management investigated but was unable to determine the exact circumstances. As we strive to constantly deliver good service and to improve on it, we kindly ask the reviewer to contact the hotel to give more information about what happened so we can take the appropriate steps to ensure service quality.

To say sorry, we will be happy to offer a gift voucher for any inconvenience caused by our establishment and welcome you again."

(I'm not a native English speaker)

You are also allowed to get some inspiration from responses posted by other hotels in response to negative reviews.

Thirdly, you say other platforms where only customers who really stayed at the hotel are better. Agoda for example has such a system and even rewards points to reviewers. Well, it's not better.

I have once written a review there - a negative one, of course. I was polite and factual, yet the review was removed by agoda without any comment as to why...

I use TA extensively and have found it to be a good source of info. It's not perfect, but it's something I look at. I also contribute extensively.

I ignore reviewers with only a few posts. I tend to find the worst reviews are about some silly thing. Last hotel I was in, in Stockholm, had some really bad reviews. Why? The bathrooms were small, and overall, the hotel is small...and in a nautical theme. True, but the property was absolutely fantastic and the bathrooms in the rooms for 2 people were a bit larger. And we loved the nautical theme and quirky nature of the hotel. So you have to dig deeper to see if the review is important for what you are looking for. In the end, I ignored the reviews and had a wonderful time in a great property.

I'm really sad TA didn't deal with your issue. This is one of the big problems they have. Somebody does 2 reviews, one bashes and another praises. Seems a setup to me. Again, I just ignore these. Or ones where they say they have problems which seem to have been of their own making. One hotel I stay at in Bangkok gets bad reviews because it's hard to find. Go figure....

First, replying to a review doesn't me it "about you", stop to take the comments here personally. The best thing you can do is indeed to post a reply on TA.

"We are very sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. We take custoemr experience very seriously, and following the review, hotel management investigated but was unable to determine the exact circumstances. As we strive to constantly deliver good service and to improve on it, we kindly ask the reviewer to contact the hotel to give more information about what happened so we can take the appropriate steps to ensure service quality.

To say sorry, we will be happy to offer a gift voucher for any inconvenience caused by our establishment and welcome you again."

You are also allowed to get some inspiration from responses posted by other hotels in response to negative reviews.

Thirdly, you say other platforms where only customers who really stayed at the hotel are better. Agoda for example has such a system and even rewards points to reviewers. Well, it's not better.

I have once written a review there - a negative one, of course. I was polite and factual, yet the review was removed by agoda without any comment as to why...

I fully understand your point.however the point that i am trying to make is that TA allows anyone or anything to write anything without any verification.

And even if it is the case, the bigger shocker for me is an open admittance by TA as per email that anyone can write anything without any verification.

TA has a policy to punish businesses if found to be manipulating the reviews, ie posting good reviews, have no policy on stopping the fake negative ones.

As some have pointed out, 1-2 reviews are hardly genuine, so if thats what people think, TA should also treat it as such.

TA could have a system in place where they contact the reviewer and ask them to provide booking number or room number, but instead they do nothing.

I have done some googling and you will find there are endless reports in the media, and social media and websites about scams and TA bad policies, yet they have done done and even worse openly admit to doing nothing.

I am actually surprised there is no class suit action

I use TA extensively and have found it to be a good source of info. It's not perfect, but it's something I look at. I also contribute extensively.

I ignore reviewers with only a few posts. I tend to find the worst reviews are about some silly thing. Last hotel I was in, in Stockholm, had some really bad reviews. Why? The bathrooms were small, and overall, the hotel is small...and in a nautical theme. True, but the property was absolutely fantastic and the bathrooms in the rooms for 2 people were a bit larger. And we loved the nautical theme and quirky nature of the hotel. So you have to dig deeper to see if the review is important for what you are looking for. In the end, I ignored the reviews and had a wonderful time in a great property.

I'm really sad TA didn't deal with your issue. This is one of the big problems they have. Somebody does 2 reviews, one bashes and another praises. Seems a setup to me. Again, I just ignore these. Or ones where they say they have problems which seem to have been of their own making. One hotel I stay at in Bangkok gets bad reviews because it's hard to find. Go figure....

Being in the business, i am very familiar with idiotsbiggrin.png

As i mentioned, dealing with idiots is one thing, but for company to openly facilitate fraud and scams is a much bigger issue,

Its perfectly normal for people to write bad and idiotic reviews when they do not get something their way, it is actually standard behavior.

I could write a book about thatfacepalm.gif , but for example from experience, when people post rubbish on Agoda, Agoda will remove it

I recall having one idiot writing about sofa in the room being dirty and smelly, he wrote this because hotel staff would not tell him where to go look for CHEAP hookers.

Agoda was contacted and pointed out that the room does not have a sofa, review was removed.

TA on the other hand would not move a finger.

The last 2 are against the reviewer, good luck with that when TA has no idea who these people are.

But the first link is great, i am joiningbiggrin.png , thanks for the link, could not find any or missed it when i googled wai.gif

I can't remember if it's agoda or booking.com, but one of them won't let any reviews being added unless you've booked a room there. I like that approach, but it also means those sites don't have many reviews....

Both of them will not allow any reviews unless guest booked and paid in full.

With booking, it allows for hotel to mark if guest is a no show, so does Agoda, in which case review can not be added.

It also does not allow reviews from cancelled bookings.

I actually find because these sites offer points, more people are encouraged to add a review, good and bad. but at least this approach eliminates fraud and fakes

I am a regular reviewer on TA and, like a number of other contributors to this thread, I use TA judiciously and as a guide to hotels and restaurants. If you take some time on the site you will see how many restaurants and hotels have engaged very productively with TA and, in some cases, have exposed poor reviews for their lack of authenticity and exaggeration. I have a number of friends who are hoteliers and, like you, they don't seem to like TA much. However, most of them recognize that it cannot be ignored and it is best to actively engage. A few of my friends have also admitted that there is a very useful side to the site and that some useful. Feedback is sometimes gained. And no, I haven't missed your point about fake reviews and the issue of anonymity. That notwithstanding, TA has a strict set of protocols for reviewing which is enforced. It might be time to 'get with the program' as they say.

I used to know people that would do write up , ( negative an positive) for hotels/restsaurnt

i never look at their reviews ( better to look in Agoda/booking.com for hotels as they have to use their names and have to have stayed there) now an ONLY use TA for info about how to get somewhere.or when/where festivals are.

I am a regular reviewer on TA and, like a number of other contributors to this thread, I use TA judiciously and as a guide to hotels and restaurants. If you take some time on the site you will see how many restaurants and hotels have engaged very productively with TA and, in some cases, have exposed poor reviews for their lack of authenticity and exaggeration. I have a number of friends who are hoteliers and, like you, they don't seem to like TA much. However, most of them recognize that it cannot be ignored and it is best to actively engage. A few of my friends have also admitted that there is a very useful side to the site and that some useful. Feedback is sometimes gained. And no, I haven't missed your point about fake reviews and the issue of anonymity. That notwithstanding, TA has a strict set of protocols for reviewing which is enforced. It might be time to 'get with the program' as they say.

Interesting points. I must say, that if the hotel takes the time to reply to a negative review, and provides a rebuttal, I tend to ignore the review (or take it with a grain of salt) and the hotel goes up several notches for me.

Problems do occur. Things happen. A good manager reads the reviews and responds professionally when needed.

I fully understand your point.however the point that i am trying to make is that TA allows anyone or anything to write anything without any verification.

And even if it is the case, the bigger shocker for me is an open admittance by TA as per email that anyone can write anything without any verification.

TA has a policy to punish businesses if found to be manipulating the reviews, ie posting good reviews, have no policy on stopping the fake negative ones.

As some have pointed out, 1-2 reviews are hardly genuine, so if thats what people think, TA should also treat it as such.

TA could have a system in place where they contact the reviewer and ask them to provide booking number or room number, but instead they do nothing.

I have done some googling and you will find there are endless reports in the media, and social media and websites about scams and TA bad policies, yet they have done done and even worse openly admit to doing nothing.

I am actually surprised there is no class suit action

TA is nothing more than an anonymous internet forum.

I think that says it all?

I can't remember if it's agoda or booking.com, but one of them won't let any reviews being added unless you've booked a room there. I like that approach, but it also means those sites don't have many reviews....

Both of them will not allow any reviews unless guest booked and paid in full.

With booking, it allows for hotel to mark if guest is a no show, so does Agoda, in which case review can not be added.

It also does not allow reviews from cancelled bookings.

I actually find because these sites offer points, more people are encouraged to add a review, good and bad. but at least this approach eliminates fraud and fakes

Agree, yet the opposite problem happens: reviews not being published.

Have a look at a link i posted earlier, a management company ran some tests and found TA does not have any useful protocols and the ones used are badly flawed.

It looks for same computer signature and same phrases, nothing else.

Have a look at a link i posted earlier, a management company ran some tests and found TA does not have any useful protocols and the ones used are badly flawed.

It looks for same computer signature and same phrases, nothing else.

So it's not possible you just had an unhappy customer?

One bad review does not a reputation make.

Archived