Do you read and rely on Tripadvisor reviews?

konying

And my response was a 'for example' indication of how easy it is to reply.

IT SHOULD NOT BE POSTED!!!blink.png

clearly a reply can be business does not have carpets,, it still does not take away from the main point, that it SHOULD NOT BE POSTED and SHOULD BE REMOVED because ITS CLEARLY A FAKE

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then why dont you do as suggested and write a response the to critic? See it all the time.

I rely on rebiews from many sites, not just one. Though I usually disregard overly critical or overly nice reviews, also when considering a review I consider the nationality of the critic.

You also missed the point.

Firstly its not about me.

Secondly, to write what? about what? there is no identifying elements.

Example: someone writes TV does not work and its a fake review

How do you respond? TV work?

Another example genuine review posted on booking,: TV did not work. and in reality TV did not work. Hotel can respond, yes we apologize, TV did not work, and it was replaced within such and such time or rooms was changed.

Of course hotel or any business can respond with many answers, the problem is these fake reviews not only damage business reputation, but also damage its ranking.

TripAdvisor under fire over fraud detection http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9160472/TripAdvisor-under-fire-over-fraud-detection.html

If I read a review and there was a complaint that the TV was broken that would not be a problem it's the hotels response that counts did they're it? or replace it? It's the hotels response thatcounts like most people I filter out the 10s and 1s,one bad review will not destroy your reputation. Just reply and say you have no idea what the guy is talking about, maybe you think it's a false review from local competition.

I can't remember if it's agoda or booking.com, but one of them won't let any reviews being added unless you've booked a room there. I like that approach, but it also means those sites don't have many reviews....

They are under one ownership, I have wrote reviews on agoda but only on hotels that I have booked via them that's the only way to do it I think. Anybody can sign up to Ta and post I guess.

I contribute regularly to TA and try to give honest reviews. First thing I do in the morning after waking up.

Obviously if you feel you have been dishonestly reviewed, you can ask a guest to give you a good review. I use TA when I am near a new destination and I am looking for a place to stay. I don't just look at the first review, and I have occasionally turned away from a hotel that has good reviews at the reception. You can answer the bad review on TA, voicing your suspicions that maybe this was an isolated case... or that you never received complaints from anyone.

You missed the point, Its not about how i feel its about TA policy. Their policies give zero credibility to anything written because anyone can write anything.

Do not need to state booking number, which dates, what room type, NOTHING at all.

We do not require that our members choose screen names that would divulge their identity in any way. All members on our site are anonymous unless they decide to include their real name or email address in their review or profile.

Yes your right, TA allows anyone to make reviews, as for the website as with a few others I've used mentioned in here they do nothing if you have a genuine complaint like the time i left a hotel i booked for 4 nights in New Deli after 1 hour due to it being a pig stye, the said booking website claimed the pics i sent they couldn't open and after 3 emails stopped replying to me.

Most traveler read at least one page of reviews, and since that time in India i only take notice of fellow westerners reviews , you surly may feel pissed off but i can assure you most people are smarter than you think, we all know people with very thin skins who bellyache just about everything, soon that review will be swallowed up and lost.

Read AND rely? No. Read? Yes sometimes. Rely? Not necessarily. But if I see enough bad things or enough common complaints or negatives, I will skip that item or service and look for something else. Maybe do a little more research in case the thing was something I thought I wanted or somebody recommended

I am a regular reviewer on TA and, like a number of other contributors to this thread, I use TA judiciously and as a guide to hotels and restaurants. If you take some time on the site you will see how many restaurants and hotels have engaged very productively with TA and, in some cases, have exposed poor reviews for their lack of authenticity and exaggeration. I have a number of friends who are hoteliers and, like you, they don't seem to like TA much. However, most of them recognize that it cannot be ignored and it is best to actively engage. A few of my friends have also admitted that there is a very useful side to the site and that some useful. Feedback is sometimes gained. And no, I haven't missed your point about fake reviews and the issue of anonymity. That notwithstanding, TA has a strict set of protocols for reviewing which is enforced. It might be time to 'get with the program' as they say.

Interesting points. I must say, that if the hotel takes the time to reply to a negative review, and provides a rebuttal, I tend to ignore the review (or take it with a grain of salt) and the hotel goes up several notches for me.

Problems do occur. Things happen. A good manager reads the reviews and responds professionally when needed.

My friend works for a hotel management company in Bangkok and they have a policy of all their General Managers responding to all negative TA reviews with either an apology and the remedial action they are taking over the issues raised, a polite and rebuttal and listing what actually occured or a request for the reviewer to get in touch with further information to allow an investigation to take place. Quite often they receive emails from new guests saying they booked that property partly on the strength of how the hotel replies to TA reviews. One example he gave me was a scathing review which made the hotel sound like a complete hell hole when the reviewer was really pissed off because they didn't receive an upgrade from the basic room to a suite or complimentary dinner and airport transfer after complaining that the TV in their room wasn't working. Now most people would report the problem and wait for the engineer to fix it and say thanks but not this guy. Worst food he'd ever eaten, most uncomfortable bed he'd ever slept in etc.Im fact be because he made such a fuss they provided him and his family with complimentary lunch. Needless to say he didn't mention that nor the rejection of his other demands in his review over an issue that took 10 minutes to fix. So this review without a response might have a number of people choosing not to stay in that hotel whereas a response politely outlining what occurred would have reasonable folks thinking the reviewer was a grabbing ingrate and the hotel was dedicated to guest satisfaction by giving him lunch over an issue that didn't warrant it.

I never trust TA.

Just look at their attractions list of places in every places.

The free attractions seldom stay on top although they are more popular and better. If my guess is right, they are using every party to earn advertisements and if you pay well,maybe you better top placing or cooperation with them.

Their strategy of letting everyone pitch against each others work well to their advantage.

I don't contribute for them anymore. Their moderators are very bias and unfair.

I may use them to make enquiries from other travellers but definitely do not trust them on any reviews.

I wonder if any establishment like hotel or restaurant have the right not to allow them to include in their website under ratings especially ?

I can see that they are very bias and manipulative, which can be bad and dangerous to business owners.

I never trust TA.

Just look at their attractions list of places in every places.

The free attractions seldom stay on top although they are more popular and better. If my guess is right, they are using every party to earn advertisements and if you pay well,maybe you better top placing or cooperation with them.

I use trip advisor extensively, and for locations all over the world. Their list of attractions is worth a look and definitely include free attractions. The rankings are based on user reviews. Look at Pattaya's list. Many in the top are free:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293919-Activities-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Good example.

The Walking Street of Pattaya should easily be in top 5, not 15. Obviously no money paid to TA for this one.

That's why TA is good. Not everyone agrees WS is a top tourist attraction in the Chonburi area. I'm one.

The floating market in Pattaya down at 40 is absurd too. Obviously they make money from the other establishments to put them higher.

The floating market is not a good tourist attraction. Only frequented by the hordes of packaged tourists arriving by the bus load.

I think we've heard enough about this.

I put little weight on 5-star and 1-star reviews. This is also true for other websites I use (amazon, google plus, etc...)

You will get more honest reviews if you look at the other ones (2, 3, or probably 4 stars) because they usually give the good and bad things about the place/product.

And yes, a carefully written reply from the management for a negative review will probably make me dismiss the negative feedback and give them a chance.

Also, in my opinion, having no feedback is better than 50/50 split negative/positive reviews. Most people don't give reviews unless the place is really terrible.

It's a "free" service that makes money promoting the companies they rate.

What do you expect?

Wrong assumption.

They make money from business listings,which means having a direct link to business website and phone numbers, also ability to add "special offers", this is $80 per month

They also make money from affiliate programs, as they offer booking engine and choice of prices, each booking or purchase pays TA a commission

TA has a huge amount of hits and visitors per day, so commissions are very high and this is also how they bring in business listings

Unlike any other sites though, business listing, does not come with account manager or any customer care. If billing was wrong, you end up sending emails into space and if lucky, might get an automated response.

What do you expect?

Wrong assumption.

They make money from business listings,which means having a direct link to business website and phone numbers, also ability to add "special offers", this is $80 per month

They also make money from affiliate programs, as they offer booking engine and choice of prices, each booking or purchase pays TA a commission

TA has a huge amount of hits and visitors per day, so commissions are very high and this is also how they bring in business listings

Unlike any other sites though, business listing, does not come with account manager or any customer care. If billing was wrong, you end up sending emails into space and if lucky, might get an automated response.

Quit trading with them.

What do you expect?

Wrong assumption.

Quit trading with them.

I am glad you still up to date,rolleyes.gif

It is NOT business choice to be listed there and business can NOT remove itself from there.

And even if business is sold, it is almost impossible to be removed.

What do you expect?

Wrong assumption.

Quit trading with them.

It is NOT business choice to be listed there and business can NOT remove itself from there.

I'm glad you still moaning.

I'm glad you still moaning.

Posting utter drivel without a clue must be getting tiresome,so a bit of trolling and personal attacks should spice up your miserable life, right?

Rhetorical question, not expecting an answer, though no doubt i will get one

Konying I would be happy to have the name of your etablissement to know a bit more where we should not go ...

If i wanted people like you, i would have advertised on Thai visa.

But since i do not, you would have to get over it and get on with your life.

PS. Happy trolling and welcome back from resurrectionthumbsup.gif .

What do you expect?

Wrong assumption.

Quit trading with them.

That's where their success formula lies. Every business is at their mercy now as nobody want to be left out in their listing and it's up to them how to manipulate the rankings.

Those establishments who don't pay them but got listed because of a member's contributions will be at a disadvantage. They will be surly placed lower.

There are listings that are sponsored, and paid for. These are clearly listed. The rest are not paid for. I've added many. Hotels, restaurants and attractions. And I've no affiliation with these establishments. Just trying to help other travelers. Here's one hotel listing I added this year:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g202560-d8443215-Reviews-Visby_Fangelse-Visby_Gotland.html

Please, stop with the troll posts.

Archived