Anyone tried Serratiopeptidase vs Aspirin?

lostoday

Serratiopeptidase seems like a common pill in Thailand. My doctor gave it to to me reduce swelling of a lump. Reading about it seems to indicate it is an alternative to aspirin for heart patients. I can google and don't need google information. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.

Edited by lostoday

I have not tried this stuff and have no intention of ever doing so.

It is a "medication" favoured by some alternative medicine people and is alleged to be an anti inflammatory agent .

It should be avoided and has no relevence to the prevention or treatment of heart disease.

AFAIK this "medication" plays no part in the practice of main stream medicine .

It is a "medication" favoured by some alternative medicine people and is alleged to be an anti inflammatory agent .

It should be avoided and has no relevence to the prevention or treatment of heart disease.

Are you a doctor?

Actually it is widely used by mainstream medical practioners (especially surgeons) in Asia and some parts of Europe.

Thai surgeons almost all prescribe it post-op in the belief it reduces swelling. Have done for many years.

Though it is true that the quality of studies of its efiicacy is poor http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23380245

The idea of using it as a regular supplement to prevent heart disease though is outside mainstream practice and completely untested.

Actually it is widely used by mainstream medical practioners (especially surgeons) in Asia and some parts of Europe.

Thai surgeons almost all prescribe it post-op in the belief it reduces swelling. Have done for many years.

Though it is true that the quality of studies of its efiicacy is poor http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23380245

The idea of using it as a regular supplement to prevent heart disease though is outside mainstream practice and completely untested.

Thanks for the information.

It does not surprise me that this stuff is used in Asia. It is probably doled out with the other pile of pills which are so loved by some Asian doctors and their patients!smile.png

Used in Europe? I can only say that Serratiopeptidase is not even listed in the UK's BNF (sorry- access to the BNF is protected by a firewall)

From the link you kindly provided it is important to note

1."The evidence supporting the use of Serratiopeptidase as anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent is based on clinical studies which are of poor methodology."

2."It is even being promoted as a health supplement to prevent cardiovascular morbidity. The existing scientific evidence for Serratiopeptidase is insufficient to support its use as an analgesic and health supplement. The data on long-term safety of this enzyme is lacking. Evidence based recommendations on the analgesic, anti-atherosclerotic efficacy, safety and tolerability of Serratiopeptidase are needed."

Thanks for the information.

It does not surprise me that this stuff is used in Asia. It is probably doled out with the other pile of pills which are so loved by some Asian doctors and their patients!smile.png

Used in Europe? I can only say that Serratiopeptidase is not even listed in the UK's BNF (sorry- access to the BNF is protected by a firewall)

From the link you kindly provided it is important to note

1."The evidence supporting the use of Serratiopeptidase as anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent is based on clinical studies which are of poor methodology."

2."It is even being promoted as a health supplement to prevent cardiovascular morbidity. The existing scientific evidence for Serratiopeptidase is insufficient to support its use as an analgesic and health supplement. The data on long-term safety of this enzyme is lacking. Evidence based recommendations on the analgesic, anti-atherosclerotic efficacy, safety and tolerability of Serratiopeptidase are needed."

You wrote, "It does not surprise me that this stuff is used in Asia. It is probably doled out with the other pile of pills which are so loved by some Asian doctors and their patients!smile.png" What medication have you tried for your extreme case of "ethnocentrism?" I'd get it checked out if I were you. Just my opinion. wai2.gif

​An Asian doctor prescribed the pills (about a penny each) for an Asian lump in my Asian neck and the Asian lump went away in about a week in Asia. You may have guessed I live in Asia. wai.gif

Edited by lostoday

Not saying it the case with this particular medication but it is certainly true that many potentially beneficial medications and never given proper trials in the US for a host of reasons having nothing to do with their validity.

Profit potential trumps benefit potential. Proper clinical trials are hugely expensive. Many medications waiting in the wings have complicated patent, supply and sourcing issues that make them to risky for big pharma to invest in. They only want to sell what they clearly own and can license.

I would think that the most beneficial things the UN could do would be to take over pharmaceutical clinical trials...but, of course, big pharma would never allow that to happen.

Not saying it the case with this particular medication but it is certainly true that many potentially beneficial medications and never given proper trials in the US for a host of reasons having nothing to do with their validity.

Profit potential trumps benefit potential. Proper clinical trials are hugely expensive. Many medications waiting in the wings have complicated patent, supply and sourcing issues that make them to risky for big pharma to invest in. They only want to sell what they clearly own and can license.

I would think that the most beneficial things the UN could do would be to take over pharmaceutical clinical trials...but, of course, big pharma would never allow that to happen.

Interestingly the Pharmaceutical Industry manufacture many medications which are both cheap and only marginally profitable.

The conspiracy theories about "Big Phama" are 10 a penny , boring and idiotic.

Interestingly the Pharmaceutical Industry manufacture many medications which are both cheap and only marginally profitable.

The conspiracy theories about "Big Phama" are 10 a penny , boring and idiotic.

Why don't you start your own thread. biggrin.png Unless you have experience with Serratiopeptidase you are off topic on mine.wai2.gif