Thailand and window "bars"

Asheron

Thieves could always use a ladder to get to the second floor. But window bars are dangerous because if a fire breaks out inside the occupants cannot escape.

For me no bars. Only bars I want are down the soi burp.gif

Most people know how to open a door. A door is a door. With bars it is still a door. One only needs to open door in case of fire.

If you have a second story there are bars that open easily from the inside. Google quick release window security bars. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm worried about them hooking my 500 pound safe through my bars with my dog (trained to only accept food from me) chewing off their behind. biggrin.png

I smell 575 lbs of BS here allowing a 75 lbs. for the dog.

I have a large safe, an alarm system that calls me, an emergency flashing light and siren and cameras (with battery backups), bars on my doors and windows and a dog who only takes food from me. I got the safe which is fireproof to make it difficult to take my important papers away from the house. The home is 100% secure from 95% of snatch and grab type burglars. Professionals with a bulldozer or army tank or artillery may be able to break in. biggrin.png The only smell here is coming from your side of the keyboard.wai2.gif

Window Bars are ugly and an escape obstruction, but without them, burglary is almost certain. Having them though slows down break ins and increases the risk of the burglar having to share a room with 20 others.

Because of the risk of fire make sure you have 2 firexes, one chemical for electrical and foam for cooking fires.

Window Bars are ugly and an escape obstruction, but without them, burglary is almost certain. Having them though slows down break ins and increases the risk of the burglar having to share a room with 20 others.

Because of the risk of fire make sure you have 2 firexes, one chemical for electrical and foam for cooking fires.

I've been here 6 years living in various properties with out window bars I haven't been burgled once.

To say it's almost certain due to not having them is simply diatribe.

I don’t care what other people do but I have chosen not to live behind high walls or iron bars. We just make sure there is someone watching the house when we are not there.

Best way, we have 6 watchers of the canine variety.

I don’t care what other people do but I have chosen not to live behind high walls or iron bars. We just make sure there is someone watching the house when we are not there.

We rely on a mix of dogs, someone at the house and neighbors. It probably helps that we have a rather long driveway which is the only way in or out and there is nowhere to hide.

Dogs can be poisoned, and though it takes a special kind of SOB to do that and admittedly not something a casual burgular would think of, it does happen. The South African father of one of my neighbours in Britain was murdered this year in an organised robbery on his farm. All the security dogs were poisoned as the first step in the horrific events that followed.

My neighbor installed cameras all around his house. Guess what the burglars took first? They cut the cameras loose and took them and then they burgled the house. Had bars but left the barred door open in the carport. Break-ins used to be quite frequent in our village but now we have most houses occupied. The houses are priced from 4 million up so it isn't exactly a slum. In the old days they used to remove roof tiles to get in.

....Not only in the old days akentryan...I live in a small estate with 30 bungalows..and we have 5 break-ins the last 8 months trough the roof!!

My point was kind of that, the bars do not give even close the protection people think they do but they still put them everywhere. With correct bolt cutters anyone can enter any place, quietly, within seconds.

I haven't seen any fires but neither have i heard of any burglaries... but logic dictates that there are plenty of both in Thailand.

Of course you are correct.clap2.gif

So... please enlighten me what this clips has to do with my post.

The average Thai bugler does not carry bolt cutters on his motorcycle. Burglary is a crime of opportunity. You don't have to make your house safe as a bank you only have to make it safer than the house next door. Your theory is all wet.

Buglers don't want to be noticed. Cutting through bars and barking dogs and sirens and flashing light all get a robber noticed.

Lets say you live next to me. I have TV cameras, signs, alarm system, bars and dogs. You have nothing. Do you think your house is safe because the robber thinks you are poor?

Put up bars and every other method you can think of to stop or make crime difficult and you will be safer than the man who does nothing.

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down! Not my house.laugh.png

Having heard 'Reveille' a number of times, I would have thought that 'buglers' (sic) wanted to be heard? ?

And I thought you were talking about bars with windows. Homes with bars over their windows, does this really need to be discussed?cheesy.gifgigglem.gif

Your comment answered your own question clap2.gif

if you don,t ike anything just ignore it thumbsup.gif

In fairness if you've got bars on your windows for security purposes or not,thieves who are desperate enough will come tooled up to enter no matter what your security measure are.

Window bars aren't that difficult to remove if you know how.

There is quick access to get into the vast majority of Thai houses.

Old lady in Rhek Thum died some time ago. Lived alone. Bars on windows, numerous bolts on doors. From the eaves down, a fortress.

When the neighbors wanted to retrieve her body, it was easy. They got on the roof, and in just seconds removed a few tiles, and lowered themselves into the living room.

Every Thai knows about this.

Your bars mean zip.

Actually the bars do not mean "zip". As you said yourself every Thai know about roof access. But Thai do have bars. It is easy access without drawing attention that the bars help to prevent. Climbing to roof is not staying out of sight and normally quite noisy (as well as a danger well outside most peoples safe zone). We are not talking professional second story guys - but those with opportunity and need for cash; often from drug and solvent intoxication.

My neighbor installed cameras all around his house. Guess what the burglars took first? They cut the cameras loose and took them and then they burgled the house. Had bars but left the barred door open in the carport. Break-ins used to be quite frequent in our village but now we have most houses occupied. The houses are priced from 4 million up so it isn't exactly a slum. In the old days they used to remove roof tiles to get in.

....Not only in the old days akentryan...I live in a small estate with 30 bungalows..and we have 5 break-ins the last 8 months trough the roof!!

Try moving to Thailand. It's safer here.thumbsup.gif

In fairness if you've got bars on your windows for security purposes or not,thieves who are desperate enough will come tooled up to enter no matter what your security measure are.

Old lady in Rhek Thum died some time ago. Lived alone. Bars on windows, numerous bolts on doors. From the eaves down, a fortress.

When the neighbors wanted to retrieve her body, it was easy. They got on the roof, and in just seconds removed a few tiles, and lowered themselves into the living room.

Your bars mean zip.

Nonsense. Never happened.

My point was kind of that, the bars do not give even close the protection people think they do but they still put them everywhere. With correct bolt cutters anyone can enter any place, quietly, within seconds.

I haven't seen any fires but neither have i heard of any burglaries... but logic dictates that there are plenty of both in Thailand.

The average Thai bugler does not carry bolt cutters on his motorcycle. Burglary is a crime of opportunity. You don't have to make your house safe as a bank you only have to make it safer than the house next door. Your theory is all wet.

Buglers don't want to be noticed. Cutting through bars and barking dogs and sirens and flashing light all get a robber noticed.

Lets say you live next to me. I have TV cameras, signs, alarm system, bars and dogs. You have nothing. Do you think your house is safe because the robber thinks you are poor?

Put up bars and every other method you can think of to stop or make crime difficult and you will be safer than the man who does nothing.

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down! Not my house.laugh.png

I think most buglers get noticed when practicing their art.

Your bars mean zip.

Of course it didn't, that would be impossible as it would say that it's quite possible to get into any house if you know what you are doing which in turn is impossible because you have a fortress.

Your bars mean zip.

Of course it didn't, that would be impossible as it would say that it's quite possible to get into any house if you know what you are doing which in turn is impossible because you have a fortress.

You don't know Thai people. If you don't mind the noise and attention easy to get into a fortress. Climbing on the roof and then having to make the repairs to the roof is about the last way they would want to get in.

I realize you are trying to make fun of me for having a safe and secure home but trying to deflect the topic from burglary to methods of home entry in case of an emergency is really a low blow in a rational discussion - don't you think? Why not admit you made a mistake and move on rather try and change the subject - go off topic- start an argument - deflect the thread?

Nonsense. In fact, an overwhelming majority of convicted burglars say that they intentionally avoided homes with security systems. If an alarm sounded, they admitted to fleeing the home immediately.

http://www.safewise.com/blog/8-surprising-home-burglary-statistics/

Nonsense. Buglers are very noisy.

bugler.jpg

Nonsense. In fact, an overwhelming majority of convicted burglars say that they intentionally avoided homes with security systems. If an alarm sounded, they admitted to fleeing the home immediately.

http://www.safewise.com/blog/8-surprising-home-burglary-statistics/

Nonsense. Buglers are very noisy.

bugler.jpg

Oh, you were being a spelling cop. Sorry I missed it.

Your bars mean zip.

You don't know Thai people. If you don't mind the noise and attention easy to get into a fortress. Climbing on the roof and then having to make the repairs to the roof is about the last way they would want to get in.

I realize you are trying to make fun of me for having a safe and secure home but trying to deflect the topic from burglary to methods of home entry in case of an emergency is really a low blow in a rational discussion - don't you think? Why not admit you made a mistake and move on rather try and change the subject - go off topic- start an argument - deflect the thread?

The occupant was dead, dude. Noise was not a big factor.

And the point is, bars are a minor deterrent, not an end all.

Of course, anybody that Lostoday disagrees with (usually with acrimony and putdowns) does not know Thai people.

Only Lostoday knows Thai people.

Response to

HeijoshinCool

This discussion is about burglar bars noise would always be a factor. You can't bring an example that has nothing to do with the discussion into the discussion without being called on it (deflection) (noise when dead as opposed to noise when alive).

Good burglar bars are a major deterrent to theft. Burglar bars are a way of life in Thailand. You made up a story and said the name of the town, Rhek Thum (rectum = anus) implying all Thai towns are anuses and you accuse me of writing with acrimony and putdowns?

You don't like Thailand and have demonstrated that by using the word's Rhek Thum instead of a Thai town.

Now it's your turn please list where I have written anything with acrimony or putdown?

​Most burglaries occur in the daytime which is why burglars don't break in through the roof because everyone can see them.wai2.gif

But window bars are dangerous because if a fire breaks out inside the occupants cannot escape.

Only if said occupants are complete morons and haven't considered possible fire and escape routes when planning their home security

IMHO burglar bars and alarms are a deterrent only and the bars are best installed internally and not very hard to design a latching system which cant be got at from the outside but can be easily released internally from the window by the occupants in case of fire and only requires a couple of hinges and a bolt or padlock, think about how a security gate works and apply similar design and logic to windows.

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down! Not my house.

laugh.png

post-189204-0-87894300-1440585274_thumb.post-189204-0-83070100-1440585301_thumb.

Ditto mate, Got them all around the house, better find somewhere else Mr Burglar....i can view it anytime on my phone...job done.

Edited by Ghostnigel