Thailand and window "bars"

Asheron

I have never actually got a good answer as to why thai people seem to put "window bars" (that can't be opened) on all their windows. I can kind of understand if you do it on the first floor for security reasons but not on the second, third and so on floors. Imagine if a fire starts on the first floor and blocks you from escaping that route, with window bars you (and your family) would most likely burn up inside.

And in my eyes it's ugly as hell to have these "bars"... houses look like fancy prisons.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most homes of two stories have a balcony with door access so windows would be unlikely to case issues. How many homes have you seen burn here (outside of slums where a group burn)? Cement does not go up in flames like wood construction of USA and some other countries.

As for not needing on second floor - how hard is it to gain access to upper floors? Not very. Many thefts are from roof access actually. As for the reason - just like a lock - to delay access and with luck have the thief pick another target.

In fairness if you've got bars on your windows for security purposes or not,thieves who are desperate enough will come tooled up to enter no matter what your security measure are.

Window bars aren't that difficult to remove if you know how.

My point was kind of that, the bars do not give even close the protection people think they do but they still put them everywhere. With correct bolt cutters anyone can enter any place, quietly, within seconds.

I haven't seen any fires but neither have i heard of any burglaries... but logic dictates that there are plenty of both in Thailand.

In fairness if you've got bars on your windows for security purposes or not,thieves who are desperate enough will come tooled up to enter no matter what your security measure are.

I always carry one of these tools on my Honda Wave.

People with long poles with a hook on the end come around when you're sleeping, they lean through the bars and try to grab your valuables.

Quite popular in the Carribean.

I'm worried about them hooking my 500 pound safe through my bars with my dog (trained to only accept food from me) chewing off their behind. biggrin.png

My point was kind of that, the bars do not give even close the protection people think they do but they still put them everywhere. With correct bolt cutters anyone can enter any place, quietly, within seconds.

I haven't seen any fires but neither have i heard of any burglaries... but logic dictates that there are plenty of both in Thailand.

Of course you are correct.clap2.gif

So... please enlighten me what this clips has to do with my post.

The average Thai bugler does not carry bolt cutters on his motorcycle. Burglary is a crime of opportunity. You don't have to make your house safe as a bank you only have to make it safer than the house next door. Your theory is all wet.

Buglers don't want to be noticed. Cutting through bars and barking dogs and sirens and flashing light all get a robber noticed.

Lets say you live next to me. I have TV cameras, signs, alarm system, bars and dogs. You have nothing. Do you think your house is safe because the robber thinks you are poor?

Put up bars and every other method you can think of to stop or make crime difficult and you will be safer than the man who does nothing.

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down! Not my house.laugh.png

These are used a lot in Spain and sadly many have died being trapped inside unable to get out. I have seen this on Spanish TV years ago. Rejas are good at keeping people out but also keep people in too. So if you use them make sure they can open from inside.

These are used a lot in Spain and sadly many have died being trapped inside unable to get out. I have seen this on Spanish TV years ago. Rejas are good at keeping people out but also keep people in too. So if you use them make sure they can open from inside.

I think that fact became obvious when the first caveman invented the first bolt lock. wai2.gif I lock my doors from the inside when I am inside and when I go out I lock them from the outside. How dumb do you have to be not to know how to open a bolt lock?

For a list of the top American cities with bars on windows check out.....http://www.ibtimes.com/which-us-cities-have-most-bars-capita-1499880

Pittsburgh is #1.

Edited by lostoday

strangest thing...damn bars on the window..but a swift kick by the doorknob gains immediate entry (splinters the door jam near the lock).

Most locks are crap here. The doors in most houses in my subdivision are reinforced with cardboard...yes....cardboard!!!

Edited by slipperylobster

But most robbers here are brainless balless monkeys under meth, so 99% of the time they wont mess with window bars...

Window bars aren't that difficult to remove if you know how

Edited by questionsreplies

I was thinking like you before i started to use my brain....

But most robbers here are brainless balless monkeys under meth, so 99% of the time they wont mess with window bars...

It takes 32 individual cuts with a large bolt cutter to remove my bars and all the while you are cutting a loud siren will sound and an emergency light will be flashing alternating blue, red and clear. Yes my alarm system is on a battery back up and my phone will have been called alerting me to the break in and we have not even started talking about my dogs.thumbsup.gif

I don't have cheap window bars. I don't think you can say with any certainty that window bars aren't that difficult without knowing what kind of bars you are talking about. Window bars are not all the same. My next door neighbor four cuts with a bolt cutter gets you in. Mine 32 cuts. My home is completely air conditioned and it runs 24/7 so I don't care if the bars block air flow as the windows are never opened anyway. wai2.gif

I was thinking like you before i started to use my brain....

Still haven't i see.

Of course you are correct.clap2.gif

So... please enlighten me what this clips has to do with my post.

The average Thai bugler does not carry bolt cutters on his motorcycle. Burglary is a crime of opportunity. You don't have to make your house safe as a bank you only have to make it safer than the house next door. Your theory is all wet.

Buglers don't want to be noticed. Cutting through bars and barking dogs and sirens and flashing light all get a robber noticed.

Lets say you live next to me. I have TV cameras, signs, alarm system, bars and dogs. You have nothing. Do you think your house is safe because the robber thinks you are poor?

Put up bars and every other method you can think of to stop or make crime difficult and you will be safer than the man who does nothing.

I'll huff and puff and blow your house down! Not my house.laugh.png

Are you or were you a smoker you seem awfully paranoid.

It takes 32 individual cuts with a large bolt cutter to remove my bars and all the while you are cutting a loud siren will sound and an emergency light will be flashing alternating blue, red and clear. Yes my alarm system is on a battery back up and my phone will have been called alerting me to the break in and we have not even started talking about my dogs.thumbsup.gif

I don't have cheap window bars. I don't think you can say with any certainty that window bars aren't that difficult without knowing what kind of bars you are talking about. Window bars are not all the same. My next door neighbor four cuts with a bolt cutter gets you in. Mine 32 cuts. My home is completely air conditioned and it runs 24/7 so I don't care if the bars block air flow as the windows are never opened anyway. wai2.gif

The 10 ft wall is a big enough deterrent where I live also. Edited by stoneyboy

There are many poor people and people with drug problems in Thailand, and they do take what is not theirs if they can.

If you have bars on your windows, thieves will pass up your home for one that is easy to get into.

Most newer houses in Thailand, and those wirth contents worth taking are made of cinder block and concrete.

Concrete and cinder block do not burn.

How often have yo seen a house fire in a newer house in Thailand?

I am an ex firefighter and I do pay attention to these things.

No mention of Burglary here either.

Must be a myth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

Where in that report do they compare 10 ft walls and bugler bars? Aren't you afraid that the wall just adds privacy to the burglar who can jump or climb?

Not at all,my infra red facial recognition cameras,and number plate recognition cameras are a huge deterrent as is the barbed wire and machine gun turrets.

No mention of Burglary here either.

Must be a myth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

Where in that report do they compare 10 ft walls and bugler bars? Aren't you afraid that the wall just adds privacy to the burglar who can jump or climb?

Not at all,my infra red facial recognition cameras,and number plate recognition cameras are a huge deterrent as is the barbed wire and machine gun turrets.

The pay for our machine gunner was eating up my wife's household budget so we replaced him with Claymore mines. You might want to consider it as the gunners have a tendency to sleep it the turret is too comfortable.

But in all likelihood thieves will only mess with homes using security bars if they know something worth their while is inside otherwise they are going to go for the unsecured homes...wouldn't you?