Is Thailand still a Third World Country?

NoshowJones

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like you Mr. Possom I was just trying to make a point. It is not nice or right to call a whole country, educated and not, stupid and expect that not to be a bashing post/thread. My wife is a big girl. Big education, big job, big fist and big heart. If you told her she and everyone else in Thailand had a low mentality she would hit you in the face no matter how big and smart you look.

So ... people with "high mentality" punch people in the face for expressing an opinion. Got it.

blink.png

If you call my momma and poppa and my whole family and all my children stupid what do you think gonna happen?

I'd guess if they were of low mentality (instinctual, knee jerk responses) ... they'd punch me in the face.

If they were of a higher mentality...they'd probably ignore me.

The OP wrote, "the Thai mentality is very low, from both the well educated to the working class." Deflect as much as you want but most people will react strongly when the reputation of their mother and children (with the exception of people from your country) are besmirched.

You may call me what you like but only a hopeless cad would besmirch the reputation of a man's mother and children not having known them. (However I can understand - not in your country so with that exception).

I happen to think people who teach English in Thailand have a very low mentality but I would never say that it also applies to their mothers and children. Notice the difference.

Edited by lostoday

Most important for me that people as still smiling and definately have more freedom that rest of the western countries where people have no will or power or decency to defend and fight back for freedom their use to have.

Thailand is still very much a third world country and, at this point, is sinking rather than rising to the next level. Some of the things that keep it third world are: very poor educational system, very poor legal system, very poor management at the national level and locally with grossly bloated, corrupt and ineffective bureaucracy, extreme corruption in all areas of government both national and local, military dictatorship as current form of government, poor infrastructure and construction standards in regard to roads, buildings, drinking water, water, electrical, and cable management, local services and maintenance, big gap between how the haves and the have nots are treated in all aspects of life, poor law enforcement everywhere with badly trained, paid, and managed police force, poor tax system, power held by the few rather than the many, and freedoms now being curtailed rather than expanded.

Apart from the military dictatorship and the drinking water, you could be referring to the USA!

If there was something called fourth world, I would nominate it.....but I love the temples...so Im always gonna return.

Yeah me too. I love the exploding temples, they're a real blast!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

For starters it was a shrine and secondly I do not find anything funny about your post. In fact I, and am sure many others, find it in very poor taste. I am thinking the families of the injured and dead would tend to agree with me also. bah.gif

You're just projecting your own state of affairs and mentality. No more, no less.

3rd World mentality, not even a developing one.

If this wasn't your own personal problem, you'd have never asked the question. It is ignorant and arogant. angry.

Have a nice day, read a book.

Intelligent, well educated people from middle class and up don't usually resort to punching people in the face. Certainly not the women. Just the way it is I'm afraid.

Yet you would call my mother and children stupid? Is that your way? Cause if you would not than we will not have an altercation will we?

Try this on for size. I come to school to pick up my children and ask you, how they are doing. You say not so good. I ask why. You say, "Because people from your country have a very low mentality." What should I do?

Edited by lostoday

What's a third world country?

Originally there was the Old World, the New World and the Third World. So yes it's a third world country. It is a newly industrialised country.

You seem to be confusing third world with inferiority in some way.

Yes you are right, if I have worded my OP wrong then I apologise, but I think you get my drift.

No, he is not right.

There were the Western industrial countries (First World), the Soviet Bloc (Second World), and non-aligned countries (Third World).

"Third world" is obsolete, although sometimes used in the pejorative sense by the uninformed. Developed and developing countries are current usage.

Not very useful in any case, since it's all relative.

3rd world or not...it sure beats where I grew up back in New York.....circa 1955 to 1970.

That as in a government housing project...where nobody worked, everyone did drugs, and you could not go out at night.

Understood. Trust you are well and far past those times.

God is with you.

I was in the good NY during those times, (save for a tour of duty RVN, ouch,) but I know of what you speak.

'Third World' is obsolete. The United Nations replaced it with 'developing country' a long time ago.

A politically correct term for "Useless mismanaged, under educated and brainwashed country"

blink.png

No, not 'politically' correct - technically correct.

Amazing, the ignorance is stupifying...

Lots of money invested in Thailand's infrastructure, hotels, and malls...very modern in some areas of the country...

As long as Thailand appears to use draconian laws to incarcerate citizens and foreigners...has an unelected government...and the majority of the business community lacks integrity...Yes...it will be considered a 3rd world country by the civilized world...

You're just projecting your own state of affairs and mentality. No more, no less.

3rd World mentality, not even a developing one.

If this wasn't your own personal problem, you'd have never asked the question. It is ignorant and arogant. angry.

Have a nice day, read a book.

Yes, the OP sounds unhappy.

Until there is a proper education system in place and enforced nothing is going to ischange. The hierarchy don't want the people educated, educate them and it gives them power and knowledge. I think if you could fast forward 10 years I don't think things will be any different.

Edited by jamie2009

Yes I am. I thought that was the way it was. I was speaking to a well educated Farang,

The colour of her skin was in what way important to the thread?

What was her nationality, Thai, Polish French, English, etc.?

Where was she educated and to what level?

For all we know she was a redneck hillbilly from Alabama

Sorry, I don't automatically assume white girls are experts, just because they're white!

I believe she was a buck-toothed hoofer from Sussex.

Thailand is destined to stay as a third world country forever because there is nothing to change their backward mentality.

Backward mentality?

Interesting accusation from someone using terminology that became obsolete almost a quarter of a century ago.

Until there is a proper education system in place and enforced nothing is going to ischange. The hierarchy don't want the people educated, educate them and it gives them power and knowledge. I think if you could fast forward 10 years I don't think things will be any different.

Singapore is educated and they live under an undemocratic dictatorship. What's education got to do with it? You not in Kansas or wherever you live. Millions of Chinese are educated and how about all of the educated folks in Saudi Arabia?

Edited by lostoday

Singapore is educated and they live under an undemocratic dictatorship. What's education got to do with it? You not in Kansas or wherever you live. Millions of Chinese are educated and how about all of the educated folks in Saudi Arabia?

At least it would give them an insight to what's going on, only the few oil rich in Saudi are well educated, similar China, and I assume the same in Singapore.

At least it would give them an insight to what's going on, only the few oil rich in Saudi are well educated, similar China, and I assume the same in Singapore.

Boy are you wrong.

China graduates 7 million from college per year. Saudi Arabia: The number of universities has increased from 15 in 2005 to 34 in the first quarter of 2015. Enrollment in institutions of higher education has also risen from 604,000 in 2005 to approximately one and a half million in 2014. Furthermore, the government has increased its financial support for Saudi citizens who are interested in studying abroad. It is projected that the number of graduates per year will grow to 386,000 by 2022.

http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20150714013422488

Singapore will soon have six universities offering full-time degree programmes, giving 40 per cent of each school cohort a shot at university education right here at home by 2020.

That is up from the current cohort participation rate of 27 per cent. It translates to 16,000 undergraduate places yearly, up from this year's 13,000.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/40-of-each-cohort-to-get-shot-at-local-universities

Edited by lostoday

Boy are you wrong.

China graduates 7 million from college per year. Saudi Arabia: The number of universities has increased from 15 in 2005 to 34 in the first quarter of 2015. Enrollment in institutions of higher education has also risen from 604,000 in 2005 to approximately one and a half million in 2014. Furthermore, the government has increased its financial support for Saudi citizens who are interested in studying abroad. It is projected that the number of graduates per year will grow to 386,000 by 2022.

Singapore will soon have six universities offering full-time degree programmes, giving 40 per cent of each school cohort a shot at university education right here at home by 2020.

That is up from the current cohort participation rate of 27 per cent. It translates to 16,000 undergraduate places yearly, up from this year's 13,000.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/40-of-each-cohort-to-get-shot-at-local-universities

Some great facts and figures but this has only happened in the last few years so the majority are probably still students, when they reach adulthood have families and responsibilities things could change. Even if the education system improved in Thailand it would be at 20 years before any thing would change. Countries will not invest where there are poor educated people, they want educated people who they do not need to train the basics too.

Boy are you wrong.

Some great facts and figures but this has only happened in the last few years so the majority are probably still students, when they reach adulthood have families and responsibilities things could change. Even if the education system improved in Thailand it would be at 20 years before any thing would change. Countries will not invest where there are poor educated people, they want educated people who they do not need to train the basics too.

Nonsense. Education spending usually makes up about 20 percent of the annual national Singapore budget,

The main language of instruction in Singapore is English, which was officially designated the first language within the local education system in 1987. Singapore's education system has been described as "world-leading" and in 2010 was among those picked out for commendation by the Conservative former UK Education Secretary Michael Gove.

Most people in Singapore write much better English than you.

I would suggest you find out why Thailand is the 10th largest manufacturer of automotive vehicles in the world and the 1 or 2nd largest manufacturer of hard drives and has the 2nd largest GDP in South East Asia.

You are woefully uninformed. Try reading a bit about education in the countries above and you will find the college graduates far outnumber the college graduates in the country that you are from. wai2.gif

Boy are you wrong.

Nonsense. Education spending usually makes up about 20 percent of the annual national Singapore budget,

The main language of instruction in Singapore is English, which was officially designated the first language within the local education system in 1987. Singapore's education system has been described as "world-leading" and in 2010 was among those picked out for commendation by the Conservative former UK Education Secretary Michael Gove.

Most people in Singapore write much better English than you.

I would suggest you find out why Thailand is the 10th largest manufacturer of automotive vehicles in the world and the 1 or 2nd largest manufacturer of hard drives and has the 2nd largest GDP in South East Asia.

You are woefully uninformed. Try reading a bit about education in the countries above and you will find the college graduates far outnumber the college graduates in the country that you are from. wai2.gif

You will find that Thailands car plants are Assembly Plants, the parts are not actually manufactured here, doesn't take rocket science to assemble a car, mostly done by robots nowadays. It's a way round the high I import taxes, the reason why Nissan opened a plant, Assembly in the UK to get round EU rules.

Manufacturing Hard Drives is not a manual procedure either.

At the end of the day the majority of jobs in Thailand are manual, clothing industry, tourist industry and farming, think Thailand is on of the biggest rice exporters in the Far East.