Is Thailand still a Third World Country?

NoshowJones

Nobody is going to babysit anyone in Thailand. You have to look around a bit. I really liked CM but the smoke killed me so I left. You have to look around a bit. I think the words 3rd world are pejorative but if it helps keep the nanny staters out it's OK with me.

I've lived here a long time and have formed my own support and security networks so I'm fine.

My advice to others is go home. I don't need you. That may sound harsh but I've had nothing but problems with Farang both in Thailand and in the West where they are called natives. I came to Thailand to get away from Farangs and Christmas and people who smelled of cheese.

I actually like threads like this because they scare people away. Perhaps there is that one guy who is just on the verge of trying to live in Thailand and after reading this thread decides to stay home. Good job.clap2.gif

well said... Thank you

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are police and a police station where I live, see plenty of policemen, but they all ignore the underage riders.

Possum, i drive daily and 99% i drive my motorbike, approx 15.000 Km a year.

Why don*t you get of your high horse and adapt yourself to Thai standards instead of bashing on them ?

Its their country, their lifestyle... you*r a guest here, so behave as one or go back to where you came from...

As posted earlier, stop imposing your vision how it should be... You want to change behavior ? start with yourself i would say...

If the police decides here to be wise instead of repressive, its up to them... not up to you...

This is about the most rubbish post I have ever seen in Thaivisa, so much garbage that I am not even going to comment on it, except to say I wonder how you will feel if any of your kids or family become victims on one of Thailands roads. Now awa an gies peace.

There are police and a police station where I live, see plenty of policemen, but they all ignore the underage riders.

Why don*t you get of your high horse and adapt yourself to Thai standards instead of bashing on them ?

Its their country, their lifestyle... you*r a guest here, so behave as one or go back to where you came from...

As posted earlier, stop imposing your vision how it should be... You want to change behavior ? start with yourself i would say...

If the police decides here to be wise instead of repressive, its up to them... not up to you...

This is about the most rubbish post I have ever seen in Thaivisa, so much garbage that I am not even going to comment on it, except to say I wonder how you will feel if any of your kids or family become victims on one of Thailands roads. Now awa an gies peace.

For an explanation of Possum's attitude watch episode #3 of the BBC East India Company on this weekend I think.

wise instead of repressive ? dude wat u smoking , give us a hit .........................

No, we are NOT GUESTS here.

We are paying customers.

We are paying customers.

I believe guest is a word that refers to both paying and non paying visitors to a hotel or country.

For example hotels normally use the word guest count.

The dictionary uses a person staying at a hotel or guest house.

"a reduction for guests staying seven nights or more"
synonyms: patron, client, person staying

English is probably not your first language so it is understandable that you might become confused.

We are paying customers.

I believe guest is a word that refers to both paying and non paying visitors to a hotel or country.

The dictionary uses a person staying at a hotel or guest house.[/size]

"a reduction for guests staying seven nights or more"[/size]

English is probably not your first language so it is understandable that you might become confused.

Ok, I am corrected.

But I think that you know what I mean - and THAT should not be corrected.

A paying "guest" has rights - because he pays.

We are paying customers.

You are spot on there mate.

We are paying customers.

I don't believe we are guests in this country, guests are people who are treated well, we are just tolerated here.

We are paying customers.

I don't believe we are guests in this country, guests are people who are treated well, we are just tolerated here.

Making up definitions are we? I tried the Oxford dictionary.

Synonyms of guest in English: noun

Edited by lostoday

We are paying customers.

I assume you are speaking for yourself.

We are paying customers.

Imagine you had a party and a bunch of guys you didn't know turned up speaking a language you didn't understand. Some of these foreigners are dressed in a way you find offensive, proceed to get sloppily drunk, badmouth you to anyone that will listen, and then try and have sex with your daughter.

How well would you tolerate them?

We are paying customers.

Imagine you had a party and a bunch of guys you didn't know turned up speaking a language you didn't understand. Some of these foreigners are dressed in a way you find offensive, proceed to get sloppily drunk, badmouth you to anyone that will listen, and then try and have sex with your daughter.

I dunno -- how well did they tolerate you?

Remarkably well, considering the behaviour of many of my countrymen.

We are paying customers.

I am referring to the Farangs who come to Thailand to make it their home, the biggest majority of them are decent and respectable, the type you are referring to are mostly tourists and ignorant scum, and I would not tolerate them. Thailand make us jump through too many hoops for us to look at ourselves as guests.

I am referring to the Farangs who come to Thailand to make it their home, the biggest majority of them are decent and respectable, the type you are referring to are mostly tourists and ignorant scum, and I would not tolerate them. Thailand make us jump through too many hoops for us to look at ourselves as guests.

Plenty of that type live here, making it harder for us decent folk by tarring us with their brush.

I went for my annual trip to immigration the other day. Was there for an hour. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Remarkably well, considering the behaviour of many of my countrymen.

Oh -- you were talking about OTHER people. My mistake.

That would depend on if I owned a bar and if my daughter was a prostitute.

Does anyone care how foreigners dress in brothels and hooker bars?

My MIL was perfectly happy with me having sex with her daughter.

A couple of fathers offered me their daughters too (did I need a mia noi?), I declined saying one was enough.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Plenty of that type live here, making it harder for us decent folk by tarring us with their brush.

I went for my annual trip to immigration the other day. Was there for an hour. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Of all the Farangs I have met here in nearly ten years, there have only been three or four I would class as undesirable. and of my present friends or aquaintances, there

are none of them undesirable.

For all of you that 5hink Thailand is a third world country. If Thailand is a third world country, then what are countries like Haiti? Tenth world? Thailand is a long way away from being a third world country. I don't know of any multi-billion dollar companies doing business in third world countries for one example.

No its not.

They have very good roads.

Bangkok public transport is one of the best in the world.

There is proper sanitation.

Proper banking system

Well regulated stock market

OK education system.

People are so clueless, I'd wonder what they'd call the likes of BangladeshSudan, Ethiopia etc if they ever went there.
Thailand is far from being a 3rd world country.

"They have very good roads."

I particularly like the ones that are so congested even the cops ride their bikes up on the sidewalks... And a real treat getting around during any rush hour.

"Bangkok public transport is one of the best in the world."

One of the best if you're a taxi drives making up your own rules I guess. Or if someone's not sedating & robbing you on a train. Or stealing your bags on an intercity bus.

"There is proper sanitation."

LOL - a whole nation addicted to litter... Oh, and enjoy your next glass of tap water.

"Proper banking system"

Foreigners who have to try 4 different banks before they can open a simple savings account might disagree... Anyway - everyplace has banks - even if foriegn owned & operated. This is no discriminator.

"Well regulated stock market"

Yes. And the Black Market is almost as well developed!

"OK education system."

ROFL.

"People are so clueless, I'd wonder what they'd call the likes of BangladeshSudan, Ethiopia etc if they ever went there."

Uh, fourth or fifth world? Yeah - there's definitely some cluelessness at work here ... I wouldn't go throwing stones if I were you though.

"Thailand is far from being a 3rd world country. "

It has actually become the poster child.

I particularly like the ones that are so congested even the cops ride their bikes up on the sidewalks... And a real treat getting around during any rush hour.

One of the best if you're a taxi drives making up your own rules I guess. Or if someone's not sedating & robbing you on a train. Or stealing your bags on an intercity bus.

LOL - a whole nation addicted to litter... Oh, and enjoy your next glass of tap water.

"Proper banking system"

Foreigners who have to try 4 different banks before they can open a simple savings account might disagree... Anyway - everyplace has banks - even if foriegn owned & operated. This is no discriminator.

"OK education system."

ROFL.

"People are so clueless, I'd wonder what they'd call the likes of BangladeshSudan, Ethiopia etc if they ever went there."

Uh, fourth or fifth world? Yeah - there's definitely some cluelessness at work here ... I wouldn't go throwing stones if I were you though.

1. Taxi drivers are good and cheap but actually a small part of the total transportation system in Bangkok which is excellent. I've lived in Thailand for 10 years with no car - no problem.

2. Banks are great, easy to work with, no problems and have SMS notification of everything.

3. Sanitation is fine considering cost and I never drank tap water in any country - it is not safe. Read your local newspapers.

4. Stock market is good and the black and grey market provide an alternative source of goods and services not available in nanny states.

5. Education system could be better but considering the feudal society it will take a few centuries to get better.wai2.gif

If one is not at home in a feudal society one should leave. Enough things to complain about at home I'm sure.thumbsup.gif

"Proper banking system"

"OK education system."

ROFL.

1. Taxi drivers are good and cheap but actually a small part of the total transportation system in Bangkok which is excellent. I've lived in Thailand for 10 years with no car - no problem.

2. Banks are great, easy to work with, no problems and have SMS notification of everything.

3. Sanitation is fine considering cost and I never drank tap water in any country - it is not safe. Read your local newspapers.

4. Stock market is good and the black and grey market provide an alternative source of goods and services not available in nanny states.

5. Education system could be better but considering the feudal society it will take a few centuries to get better.wai2.gif

If one is not at home in a feudal society one should leave. Enough things to complain about at home I'm sure.thumbsup.gif

Oh, I see. TIT, Love it or Leave it. Yes, your agenda is clear... A bit tired & threadbare, but very clear.

1. No. SOME taxi drivers are good & cheap. Your personal experience isn't really clinical or statistical evidence of anything except your own first-person experience.

2. No. SOME banks drop the insurance requirement on you, or insist on who knows what to open an account, or won't at all. Again, you are one person; your own personal experience doesn't define the big picture.

3. Oh stop. In many places in the U.S. it's just fine and can definitely be consumed without getting ill, fear-mongering websites notwithstanding.

4. An active, easily accessible, and widely used black market may be your idea of heaven, but it also figures in the definition of a third world country...

5. OK - so you agree the education system is something out of the middle ages. Again. Third world.

Things get fixed when they're understood and criticisms are voiced. Not so much so when your head's buried in the sand. If one's not comfortable in a third world country ("feudal" is kind of a simple-minded label and OT; the discussion is really about being "third world", not "feudal"), one can leave, or not. It's their choice whether to stay and make the necessary accommodations, AND voice their criticisms in appropriate forums (and TV is one such) or not... YOU have absolutely nothing to say about it, so quit with the shut-up-and-be-more-like-me shtik. The topic is actually about whether readers think Thailand is a Third World country or not; not who you think should stay and who you think should leave.

thumbsup.gif

In my house guests say for free, customers have to pay.

Oh, I see. TIT, Love it or Leave it. Yes, your agenda is clear... A bit tired & threadbare, but very clear.

1. No. SOME taxi drivers are good & cheap. Your personal experience isn't really clinical or statistical evidence of anything except your own first-person experience.

2. No. SOME banks drop the insurance requirement on you, or insist on who knows what to open an account, or won't at all. Again, you are one person; your own personal experience doesn't define the big picture.

3. Oh stop. In many places in the U.S. it's just fine and can definitely be consumed without getting ill, fear-mongering websites notwithstanding.

4. An active, easily accessible, and widely used black market may be your idea of heaven, but it also figures in the definition of a third world country...

5. OK - so you agree the education system is something out of the middle ages. Again. Third world.

Things get fixed when they're understood and criticisms are voiced. Not so much so when your head's buried in the sand. If one's not comfortable in a third world country ("feudal" is kind of a simple-minded label and OT; the discussion is really about being "third world", not "feudal"), one can leave, or not. It's their choice whether to stay and make the necessary accommodations, AND voice their criticisms in appropriate forums (and TV is one such) or not... YOU have absolutely nothing to say about it, so quit with the shut-up-and-be-more-like-me shtik. The topic is actually about whether readers think Thailand is a Third World country or not; not who you think should stay and who you think should leave.

thumbsup.gif

Thai people know about the problems. Read the newspapers. There are many problems and many Thai people going to jail for talking about the problems.

Third world is a term that is outdated and does not describe Thailand. Medical care is first world in some places as is the production of many goods and services. Feudal is a better word to describe their main problems.

I have 5 bank accounts opened up all over Thailand so I think I understand the banking system - you don't. OK.

I never drank tap water in the USA or Canada or Japan. My choice but I can produce stories about those three countries that would make drinking tap water not a rational decision. Up to you.

I can't talk about the black and grey market except to say it is very convenient and I have solved many computer and mechanical problems because things were available for a small amount of cash in Nakon Nowhere.

The above is my opinion of the topic. Wording is wrong. Intent is wrong. And most of what you said is wrong and only serves to make Thai people dislike Farang more than they already do.

You and people like you are making my life in Thailand more difficult and this thread is a good example of that. And that is my response to this thread. I think it is a valid response.

You can't keep throwing the baby out with the bath water and expect a pleasant outcome.

In my house guests say for free, customers have to pay.

How much?