Is Buddhism a religion?

Om85

Not false logic at all, without a creator god there is no soul, no rebirth, no karma and now samsara. Buddhism only makes sense if you belief in rebirth and believing in rebirth is a belief not a fact.

you need a little more study, buddhism rejects the idea of a soul and makes sense to many practitioners without any consideration of rebirth

Buddhism doesn't rejects the idea of a soul, without a soul there is not rebirth, simple as that. wink.png

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that

What others call soul is either something they have been misled by antiBuddhism people to believe In order to debunk Buddhism belief; or the life energy that did the rebirth.

Usually, I use Einstein's energy transformation theory to explain them. If they keep insisting on soul as like Christianity believed, I will ask them to prove to me any actually went to heaven before continuing.

What I am trying to said is that without a soul, rebirth doesn't mean anything, bcuz if what is rebirth has no memories of it previous life then is a completely different entity who's personality is to be molded by his experiences in life. What Siddhartha feared was to be rebirth continuously and therefore continue suffering, but if you are not rebirth then you will not suffer.
You are so full of self conflicting comments. Who tell you soul is responsible for rebirth ? Next, another person will call them spirits. These names, whether one calls them soul, spirit, or energy is not important.

First I never said that souls are responsible for rebirth ;) second those names are very important, bcuz a soul or a spirit both are supposed to be -in the west and in the east- conscious entities energy ain't not ;)

That's what i meant by conflicting. Earlier, you disagree with my energy explanation.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not false logic at all, without a creator god there is no soul, no rebirth, no karma and now samsara. Buddhism only makes sense if you belief in rebirth and believing in rebirth is a belief not a fact.

you need a little more study, buddhism rejects the idea of a soul and makes sense to many practitioners without any consideration of rebirth

Buddhism doesn't rejects the idea of a soul, without a soul there is not rebirth, simple as that. wink.png

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that

What others call soul is either something they have been misled by antiBuddhism people to believe In order to debunk Buddhism belief; or the life energy that did the rebirth.

Usually, I use Einstein's energy transformation theory to explain them. If they keep insisting on soul as like Christianity believed, I will ask them to prove to me any actually went to heaven before continuing.

What I am trying to said is that without a soul, rebirth doesn't mean anything, bcuz if what is rebirth has no memories of it previous life then is a completely different entity who's personality is to be molded by his experiences in life. What Siddhartha feared was to be rebirth continuously and therefore continue suffering, but if you are not rebirth then you will not suffer.
You are so full of self conflicting comments. Who tell you soul is responsible for rebirth ? Next, another person will call them spirits. These names, whether one calls them soul, spirit, or energy is not important.

First I never said that souls are responsible for rebirth wink.png second those names are very important, bcuz a soul or a spirit both are supposed to be -in the west and in the east- conscious entities energy ain't not wink.png

That's what i meant by conflicting. Earlier, you disagree with my energy explanation.

I disagree because saying that energy is what is reborn is simply illogical. smile.png

Hi

First I never said that souls are responsible for rebirth wink.png second those names are very important, bcuz a soul or a spirit both are supposed to be -in the west and in the east- conscious entities energy ain't not wink.png

I disagree because saying that energy is what is reborn is simply illogical. smile.png

Tell us how is it illogical ?

Energy is the source of life and where it goes after one died ? Keep in mind energy cannot be destroyed.

Hi

Energy is the source of life and where it goes after one died ? Keep in mind energy cannot be destroyed.

Yes, energy can't be destroyed but energy is not a personal entity, engery is just that energy, that's why is illogical to say that energy is what is reborn.

Hi

Yes, energy can't be destroyed but energy is not a personal entity, engery is just that energy, that's why is illogical to say that energy is what is reborn.

Personal or not, your energy is yours, you cannot give me yours, isn't it personal ?

Believe me, I have talked to profesors of Buddhism in Ramkhamhaeng Uni. they do believe in the existence of the soul wink.png besides that if you have no soul then explain to me what is what is going to rebirth? Energy like Mr. Only1 belief? C'mom, I believe that you are smarter than that. wink.png

I dont care who you were talking to. if they believe in a soul then they are disagreeing with one of the major tenets of buddhism. and dont pretend you have not read the theories of what is going on during rebirth. I'm not here to get in a metaphysical debate with a troll about such things. I'm smart enough to know you are merely trying to stir the pot. youre wasting your time pal

Hi

Personal or not, your energy is yours, you cannot give me yours, isn't it personal ?

It seems that you need to learn Physics, energy is a property of mater, it is contained in mater and it can be transferred from one physical object to another, in fact when you puch someone you are giving him your energy, therefore your energy is not you, your energy is just something that its contained in you, you are your memories, feelings etc ;)

Believe me, I have talked to profesors of Buddhism in Ramkhamhaeng Uni. they do believe in the existence of the soul wink.png besides that if you have no soul then explain to me what is what is going to rebirth? Energy like Mr. Only1 belief? C'mom, I believe that you are smarter than that. wink.png

I dont care who you were talking to. if they believe in a soul then they are disagreeing with one of the major tenets of buddhism. and dont pretend you have not read the theories of what is going on during rebirth. I'm not here to get in a metaphysical debate with a troll about such things. I'm smart enough to know you are merely trying to stir the pot. youre wasting your time pal

Wow, cool down, I'm not a troll, nor I care about "stirring your pot" I am just telling you what I know and what I think, without soul there is simply nothing to be reborn, if you disagree the decent thing to do is to explain your views or not to do so but you shouldn't go around accusing people of things that are false, that is lying, not a very Buddhist thing to do though. wink.png

Wow, cool down, I'm not a troll, nor I care about "stirring your pot" I am just telling you what I know and what I think, without soul there is simply nothing to be reborn, if you disagree the decent thing to do is to explain your views or not to do so but you shouldn't go around accusing people of things that are false, that is lying, not a very Buddhist thing to do though. wink.png

what you happen to think matters not to me. the fact is Therevadan Buddhist theory does not recognize a permanent soul and all your rationalizations why that could not agree with the concept of rebirth is irrelevant. Argue with the sangha if you want, I could care less.

what you happen to think matters not to me. the fact is Therevadan Buddhist theory does not recognize a permanent soul and all your rationalizations why that could not agree with the concept of rebirth is irrelevant. Argue with the sangha if you want, I could care less.

Hahah, you just have proved to be exactly like most religious people that I know, a fanatic with no critical thinking skill, that when his belief get challenged and has no coherent answer resorts to offend. The fact is that liked or not Buddhism is just as illogical an incoherent as any other religion therefore some studies have shown the inverse relationship between IQ and Religiosity ;)

Hahah, you just have proved to be exactly like most religious people that I know, a fanatic with no critical thinking skill, that when his belief get challenged and has no coherent answer resorts to offend. The fact is that liked or not Buddhism is just as illogical an incoherent as any other religion therefore some studies have shown the inverse relationship between IQ and Religiosity wink.png

like any typical troll, you thought you were backing me into a corner without stopping to confirm what my claims or beliefs were!! lol. the fact that is all I claimed is that Therevadan Buddhism doesnt recognize a soul. Thats a fact and I showed you up with it but it has nothing to do with what I personally believe about any religion. You were so intent on cornering me you forgot to find that out! lol. better luck next time son

Hahah, you just have proved to be exactly like most religious people that I know, a fanatic with no critical thinking skill, that when his belief get challenged and has no coherent answer resorts to offend. The fact is that liked or not Buddhism is just as illogical an incoherent as any other religion therefore some studies have shown the inverse relationship between IQ and Religiosity wink.png

like any typical troll, you thought you were backing me into a corner without stopping to confirm what my claims or beliefs were!! lol. the fact that is all I claimed is that Therevadan Buddhism doesnt recognize a soul. Thats a fact and I showed you up with it but it has nothing to do with what I personally believe about any religion. You were so intent on cornering me you forgot to find that out! lol. better luck next time son

As I told you, I don't care about trolling or backing you into a corner, I simply don't care about those things, the important thing is that you only argument is that the sangha doesn't belief in the existence of the soul but among that same sangha there is plenty of people that do belief it, including my teachers ar Ramkhamhaeng Uni. that also happen to be monks, you accept what a bunch of people belief without questioning the logic of those believes, as I alredy said without a soul what is it that is gonna be reborn? ;)

As I told you, I don't care about trolling or backing you into a corner, I simply don't care about those things, the important thing is that you only argument is that the sangha doesn't belief in the existence of the soul but among that same sangha there is plenty of people that do belief it, including my teachers ar Ramkhamhaeng Uni. that also happen to be monks, you accept what a bunch of people belief without questioning the logic of those believes, as I alredy said without a soul what is it that is gonna be reborn? wink.png

I didnt claim to accept a damn thing! thats just your assumption. All I am telling you is what the official position of the Sangha is. If some of your teachers dont agree with the official line, thats hardly a concern of mine pal!

As I told you, I don't care about trolling or backing you into a corner, I simply don't care about those things, the important thing is that you only argument is that the sangha doesn't belief in the existence of the soul but among that same sangha there is plenty of people that do belief it, including my teachers ar Ramkhamhaeng Uni. that also happen to be monks, you accept what a bunch of people belief without questioning the logic of those believes, as I alredy said without a soul what is it that is gonna be reborn? wink.png

I didnt claim to accept a damn thing! thats just your assumption. All I am telling you is what the official position of the Sangha is. If some of your teachers dont agree with the official line, thats hardly a concern of mine pal!

Haha, Cool down, mate, you'r gonna have a heart attack and I don't wanna be responsible. No one said that it was a concern of you, that's up to you to decide, I also don't care about your believes I'm just showing that Buddhists are not different that any other religion. ;)

Haha, Cool down, mate, you'r gonna have a heart attack and I don't wanna be responsible. No one said that it was a concern of you, that's up to you to decide, I also don't care about your believes I'm just showing that Buddhists are not different that any other religion. wink.png

why are you telling me??. I never claimed they were. what I did claim was that the official stance of the therevadan sangha is that there is no such thing as a permanent soul. for whatever reason, you chose to dispute that fact in some lame attempt to make a point about religions and I proceeded to demonstrate your mistake. and spare me your faux concern for my well being.

Haha, Cool down, mate, you'r gonna have a heart attack and I don't wanna be responsible. No one said that it was a concern of you, that's up to you to decide, I also don't care about your believes I'm just showing that Buddhists are not different that any other religion. wink.png

why are you telling me??. I never claimed they were. what I did claim was that the official stance of the therevadan sangha is that there is no such thing as a permanent soul. for whatever reason, you chose to dispute that fact in some lame attempt to make a point about religions and I proceeded to demonstrate your mistake. and spare me your faux concern for my well being.

Cool then we have nothing else to talk. wink.png

Haha, Cool down, mate, you'r gonna have a heart attack and I don't wanna be responsible. No one said that it was a concern of you, that's up to you to decide, I also don't care about your believes I'm just showing that Buddhists are not different that any other religion. ;)

How is it that you keeps insisting that Buddhism is not different from others when I have explained to you so many times ?

I don't believe you are sincere. Someone who don't believe Buddhism or cannot accept simple explanation or logic would not have started such a thread and stayed so long. You appears to me you are either trolling disturbing the peace if a Buddhism forum to drive others away. I have come across too many such people in Buddhism discussions everywhere.

Cool then we have nothing else to talk. wink.png

better luck next time

How is it that you keeps insisting that Buddhism is not different from others when I have explained to you so many times ?

I don't believe you are sincere. Someone who don't believe Buddhism or cannot accept simple explanation or logic would not have started such a thread and stayed so long. You appears to me you are either trolling disturbing the peace if a Buddhism forum to drive others away. I have come across too many such people in Buddhism discussions everywhere.

As I already said bfore, I like Buddhism as a philosophy not as a religion, bcuz as I already mentioned for me the concepts of rebirth and karma are simply pure stupidity inherited from Hinduism, Siddhartha gave a way to escape suffering, he obviously thought the he have had previous lives, he was reborn many times which is pure nonsense btw; if you think that I am a troll or whatever you want to think about me is up to you. also in Theravada Buddhism they do belief in the existence of the soul but not as immortal or unchangeable. I insist that Buddhism isn't different than any other religion bcuz as any other religion is based on creeds, full of contradiction and illogical. ;)

Claim whatever you like, I will insist that Buddhism is not like any any other religions for eg NOTHING in Buddhism has been proven to be debunked by science or defied by logic. For eg, claims in Christianity and Islam that first humans are AdAm and Eve are debunked by logic. Prayers and belief of a almighty and only one true God has also been defied by logic. If almighty, one would have got rid of the other. Period.

PS. In case one don't understand, anything debunked by science and logic must be fake or untrue. Not being debunked by science and logic means it has logic and could be true.

So how anyone still claim is similar to all religions ?

As I already said bfore, I like Buddhism as a philosophy not as a religion, bcuz as I already mentioned for me the concepts of rebirth and karma are simply pure stupidity inherited from Hinduism, Siddhartha gave a way to escape suffering, he obviously thought the he have had previous lives, he was reborn many times which is pure nonsense btw; if you think that I am a troll or whatever you want to think about me is up to you. also in Theravada Buddhism they do belief in the existence of the soul but not as immortal or unchangeable. I insist that Buddhism isn't different than any other religion bcuz as any other religion is based on creeds, full of contradiction and illogical. wink.png

if its not immortal, its not , by definition, a soul. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/soul

Claim whatever you like, I will insist that Buddhism is not like any any other religions for eg NOTHING in Buddhism has been proven to be debunked by science or defied by logic. For eg, claims in Christianity and Islam that first humans are AdAm and Eve are debunked by logic. Prayers and belief of a almighty and only one true God has also been defied by logic. If almighty, one would have got rid of the other. Period.

PS. In case one don't understand, anything debunked by science and logic must be fake or untrue. Not being debunked by science and logic means it has logic and could be true.

No one care about soul or spirit in Buddhism, just be logical or scientific as stated here.

There is No such thing as immortality. You don't need any link for it. Common sense will do.

As I already said bfore, I like Buddhism as a philosophy not as a religion, bcuz as I already mentioned for me the concepts of rebirth and karma are simply pure stupidity inherited from Hinduism, Siddhartha gave a way to escape suffering, he obviously thought the he have had previous lives, he was reborn many times which is pure nonsense btw; if you think that I am a troll or whatever you want to think about me is up to you. also in Theravada Buddhism they do belief in the existence of the soul but not as immortal or unchangeable. I insist that Buddhism isn't different than any other religion bcuz as any other religion is based on creeds, full of contradiction and illogical. wink.png

if its not immortal, its not , by definition, a soul. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/soul

That's just one definition according to western culture(in greek mythology the soul was believed to be immortal, and even the word immortal can mean different stuff), just answer this simple question: if there is not soul what is to be reborn?

That's just one definition according to western culture(in greek mythology the soul was believed to be immortal, and even the word immortal can mean different stuff), just answer this simple question: if there is not soul what is to be reborn?

i dont answer your leading questions. I merely point out your errors. souls are immortal.

No one care about soul or spirit in Buddhism, just be logical or scientific as stated here.

There is No such thing as immortality. You don't need any link for it. Common sense will do.

How on Earth can you say that no one cares about souls or spirit in Buddhism? hit-the-fan.gif

i dont answer your leading questions. I merely point out your errors. souls are immortal.

Haha, you see, you can't even answer a question and want to force an error on me that I just gave you an argument about the immortality of souls.

Haha, you see, you can't even answer a question and want to force an error on me that I just gave you an argument about the immortality of souls.

No, I DON"T answer your questions. There is no reason to do so. I don't force you to make inaccurate statements, you do it all by yourself.

The answer is already here.

You have to dig a bit deeper to get the answer to this. According to the Pali Canon, consciousness is granular, one mind-moment conditions the next, in a stream, and each is different from the previous one. The process continues from one existence to the next - a stream of existence. So there is no unchanging entity like a soul 'reborn'. In fact the Pali word for this translates as "re-becoming" rather than "reborn." The idea that this stream of existence is ever-changing corresponds to what we know to be true in our current life - that both our body and our mind has been changing since the day we were... born.

As for whether Buddhism is a religion or not, it depends on your definition of "religion" and the way you practise Buddhism. If your definition of religion includes anything metaphysical, then the way most people practise Buddhism is religious. For those who are agnostic about the metaphysical stuff, Buddhism isn't religious.

Archived